Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a 1st nct on a car thats nearly 6 years old

• 24-11-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

My friend (He is foreign) has just come back from his home country (He's been back there for about 14 months) His car has been left here and not used. Its a 04 and has no nct and needs to get it. As far as i can make out its registration date was late Jan 04. Now it will be 6 years old this Jan. So if he gets it nct'd now would the nct be only valid for a couple of months? If so he might as well wait till the car is 6 years old to get it nct'd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Why does he "need to get it"?

If it's not in use, and won't be in use until Jan or later, then I'd leave it until then.

Otherwise, if it's going to be driven before Jan, then I'd be applying for an NCT now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You can do an NCT up to three months in advance, so if you get it done now the cert will be valid until Jan '12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No he wants to use it, but if its not worth getting the nct he wont use it until next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

You can do an NCT up to three months in advance, so if you get it done now the cert will be valid until Jan '12

afaik that only works if the current NCT runs out in Jan 2010, if it hasn't been done before and you do it before January then it will expire in January 2010, not 2012.

I'd say book it in for January.

Actually, for a first NCT you can do it 6 months in advance. However I'm not sure if that's still the case when it's several years after it was supposed to have it done. I'm sure if you ring them and ask they'll say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I got my car NCT'd today, it is an 2001 and was brought in from the U.K in july 2008 by the previous owner, she never got it NCT'd, I bought it in late august and got it tested at end of october then passed the restest today.

The NCT cert lasts until september 19th 2011. Not sure why it's september, but it is and it's almost two years on a car that has been in the republic for over a year without an NCT cert.

(it could have something to do with when the last M.O.T was on the car but I doubt the NCT crowd and the MOT crowd are in contact with one another, that would just make too much sense for them)

cloneslad wrote: »
    The NCT cert lasts until september 19th 2011. Not sure why it's september...

It's based on the date of first registration, which I guess is 19th September 2001 in your case.

It's based on the date of first registration, which I guess is 19th September 2001 in your case.

yes, actually I think you are right. Thats date seems familiar from when I was applying for the NCT.

I don't know much about cars or car ownership but this forum is helping me out a bit.

I do know that i got my wheels realigned for €30 about 3 mile from my house (and over the border) and my mate paid €135 for it in dublin

The €135 was probably full 4 wheel laser alignment, but it still sounds like too much.

The €135 was probably full 4 wheel laser alignment, but it still sounds like too much.

thats what i got done for 35

• Advertisement
Advertisement