Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed cruelty to dogs

Options
  • 24-11-2009 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi , I just saw my neighbour who has 2 young pups , that are about 6/7 months old maybe just go out and slap one of the dogs across the head because he was barking to get out , the dog wouldn't stop so he went and opened the door to the gate that has them closed off in the backgarden and then both dogs got free he picked them up and threw them back in and slapped the bigger one again. He was raging while doing this . I am so upset right now I don't know what to do. He should not have dogs , cause they are just left there all day and night, never played with , never walked... I have a dog and love him to bits and would love if those dogs could somehow be taken from him , they dont deserve that . I cant say anything to him cause my parents don't want trouble :mad: Is there anything I could do ? Any help would be great !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Contact your local animal welfare group (Cork spca - 1550 200 789) and explain what you saw to them, they have a Cruelty to Animals Inspector. You don't have to give your details, same as if you were to ring your area's dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Report him to the Cork Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. From their website:

Phone number advice line: 1550 200 789
    Phone number for general queries: 021-4515534

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hunterwelly

Well, if he slapped one of the dogs, they should certainly be taken off him. They can be taken to the pound, where they'll be put down in 5 days. Then their troubles will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Well, if he slapped one of the dogs, they should certainly be taken off him. They can be taken to the pound, where they'll be put down in 5 days. Then their troubles will be over.

How does this help the OP?
    Are there Rescue Centre's in Cork or just these 5-day kill pounds you state?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to feed trolls kildara? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hunterwelly

How does this help the OP?

It doesn't. I was trying to make a point. OP sounds like a young kid with the best of intentions and a love of dogs, but no real concept of the harsh realities of the real world.

As far as I know, cruelty inspectors are primarily interested in whether a dog has adequate food, water and shelter. Once those 3 needs are met, a dog will most likely not be taken. Especially if there is no sign of the dog being beaten and injured, or if it's not a danger to the public (notice the dogs are not left out to stray).

If the dog is otherwise healthy, and the worst that happens is an occasional slap on the head when the owner is mad, and a lack of walks, there probably isn't much of a case.

The shelters are already overrun with dogs that have it much worse than these pups. That's the sad reality. It's hard enough to find homes for the dogs that are already there.
    5-day kill pounds you state

I think you'll find most pounds have this policy. I hate it too, but that's life.

OP, how old are you? Maybe you could talk to your neighbour in a friendly, respectful manner and maybe offer to take his dogs along for a walk while you're walking yours?

Or just listen to your parents and stay out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

OP are you in the City or county - i'd contact the ISPCA they have an inspector in Cork - don't go near the CSPCA

National Cruelty Helpline Tel: 1890 515 515

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 meeayz

Paul91 wrote: »
    OP are you in the City or county - i'd contact the ISPCA they have an inspector in Cork - don't go near the CSPCA

National Cruelty Helpline Tel: 1890 515 515

City - thanks for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OP Please understand that SPCA Inspectors get lots of calls from people who need to remain anonymous. They will not say that you called & they are very good at making excuses - like I was walking by & heard dog barking.

If everyone minded their own business then even more dogs would suffer. Well done for caring.

Advertisement