Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Broadband in rented accommodation

• 24-11-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I am moving into rented accommodation soon, but for the next 6-8weeks i will be staying in a relatives vacant house.
    I dont know if they have a phone connected there, but im sure if they do that it is in their name, so my question is, if i was to order Eircom broadband at that address, linked to their account, would i be able to transfer the broadband to my permanent rented accommodation after Christmas without any penalty? Which would be linked to a different phone number?
    So i wont be transferring the phone number, just the broadband package, is it possible?

I know they have a 12mth contract, so i will have to transfer it, not cancel it.

I dont really want to get mobile broadband, as i think coverage in the area is not great, and i do a lot of downloading so need a package with a decent usage limit, and the mobile ones are pants.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

I've never transfered an Eircom account myself, but I'm sure it's similar as with other companies.
    They usually ask you to give them 2-4 weeks notice, and insist that your account isn't in arrears.

I don't think they charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You'll have to ask eircom. It can take several weeks to get it installed, and several weeks to move it, so you may be wasting everyone's time.

You'll need to check the phone numbers at both locations and make sure broadband is available before doing anything. If the lines aren't even connected, then that's going to add another 4-6 weeks into the mix before it's activated and tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks. Temporary mobile internet it is so!!:rolleyes: I'll just have to suffer it until after Christmas i guess. ;)

Advertisement