Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobias Wolff: Hunters in the snow

Options
  • 24-11-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

What does the ending of the Tobias Wolff's short story 'Hunters in the snow' mean?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

I don't know but that story sticks in your mind and the ending is like no other!

I think it's a story that makes no sense at all but I love it. I don't even think I'd want to know the answers. The characters are all so despicable and the setting so absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Probably one of my favourite short stories of all time. If I remember it was with the asshole guy in the back freezing and bleeding to death and the boys are in no rush to get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

That's it. Kenny is in the back freezing and bleeding to death from a gunshot wound. The boys Tubs and Frank are taking him to hospital. On the way they go in for a coffee and are in no hurry back to the truck where Kenny is covered with a blanket. They set off for the hospital again and pop in for a meal this time where Tubs stuffs his face with pancakes and syrup encouraged by Frank. They come back out to Kenny and the blanket is thrown off him so they take the blanket for themselves in the cab of the truck. They set off again for the hospital. The last line is something like 'But they weren't going to the hospital. Thay had taken a wrong turn a long way back'.

That mightn't be exactly it but I'm wondering did they take the wrong turn on purpose cos Kenny was acting the idiot all day or did they accidently take a wrong turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

I think it was accidental but they weren't really bothered anyway about Kenny, they were enjoying themselves and decided to let him die without actually admitting it to themselves.
    Wolff was just letting us know the outcome maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

zenmonk wrote: »
    I think it was accidental but they weren't really bothered anyway about Kenny, they were enjoying themselves and decided to let him die without actually admitting it to themselves.
    Wolff was just letting us know the outcome maybe.

So in the outcome Kenny dies in the back of the truck. But what about Tubs and Frank? Do you think they got completely lost and froze to death either in the cab with the blanket wrapped around them or else trying to make their way to safety on foot.

The story is available online if anyone wants to read it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

I get the impression they know exactly what they're doing with Kenny. The last line he says 'I'm going to the hospital' but is unaware they've taken a wrong turn.

I can't believe how good those last paragraphs are. Makes me feel cold just thinking about it.

Advertisement