Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video to DVD converter?

• 24-11-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for an easy to use VHS to DVD converter for my Dad. He basically wants to put the video in one slot and a blank DVD in another and convert! I've checked online and it would seem that the Sony DVDirect VRD-MC5 is the most highly rated. However, it's quite expensive and I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this i.e. what product they would recommend and where's the best place to get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

TBH, I'd just go down the DVD recorder route.

much simpler option than doing the whole capture card/device working on your PC malarkey.

DVD recorders are coming down a lot in price, and with xmas just round the corner, you may get a good deal.
    You could also try out adverts or buy and sell, if you're that pushed for time. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

I have no idea if it's any good or even what you are looking for but I just spotted this in the Lidl newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

din0saur wrote: »
    I have no idea if it's any good or even what you are looking for but I just spotted this in the Lidl newsletter.

Not any good for the OP's purpose, the DVD part is a player only not a recorder.

You can get VHS/DVD recorder combo's but the tend to be more than twice the price.

Having said that there are quite a few cheap ones on ebay but any I looked at are refurbs and given there are a lot of mixed reviews about this type of macine I wouldn't be jumping at buying one myself.

As someone else has suggested a straightforward DVD recorder is probably the best bet. Just hook it up to the VCR with a cable, press play on the VCR and press record on the DVD recorder and the job is done.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

Do-more wrote: »
    Not any good for the OP's purpose, the DVD part is a player only not a recorder.

Doh! Well spotted.
    Do-more wrote: »
    As someone else has suggested a straightforward DVD recorder is probably the best bet. Just hook it up to the VCR with a cable, press play on the VCR and press record on the DVD recorder and the job is done.

Then maybe consider one with a hard disk as it allows editing before burning to DVD. I have a Philips, possibly this and it is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11183.htm

Is that any good? Not much info on how it works unfortuntely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Seamu$ wrote: »
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11183.htm

Is that any good? Not much info on how it works unfortuntely.

That will do the job alright but you will need a PC to do it and it isn't the simple solution that the OP is looking for, for his father.

There is a certain comfort in buying at Aldi and having a 3 year warranty, but you can get a similar item on ebay for about €15 inc. postage just search for EASYCAP (be careful though as some will only work with XP (they come with Ulead Video studio 8), if you have Vista look for one bundled with Ulead video studio 10.)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

oposky2006 wrote: »
    i heard that some converter help offer these function do deal with this problem.:)
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

din0saur wrote: »
    Doh! Well spotted.

Then maybe consider one with a hard disk as it allows editing before burning to DVD. I have a Philips, possibly this and it is pretty good.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I was pushed for time but now it'll just end up being a Christmas present so no biggie. As suggested, I think I'll just go down the DVD recorder route which is probably the easiest and cheapest option.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

FYI, Currys have a multi-format digital DVD Recorder for €80, made by Samsung. :D

Advertisement