Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will the state save today not paying the public sector workers

• 24-11-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

How much will a teacher be deducted for not working today.

Say a teacher on 60,000 a year.

Will that sum be divided by 365 = to deduct 164 euro

or will it be divided by the number of days they are contracted to work

38 weeks working x 5 = 190 days day rate = 315 euro

Therefore deduction should be 315 euro Saving on total of 60K = 0.5% of annual income cut for each day off.

Get them to strike 12 days more and we can cut their pay by 6%

For the average worker in council say or government department with 30 days leave entitlement

The contracted working days are 46 weeks x 5 = 230 days paid work = day rate of salary/230 = saving of 0.66% per employee get them to take 12 days of action saves 7.5%

This could work pretty well as a cost saver - the truth is apart from the emergency front line medical staff we will hardly notice the difference in any event

Of course no doubt rather than deducting their real day rate the state will subdivide their salaries by 365 and only make a saving of 0.365% on the overall public sector pay bill today still mulitply that by 12 days of action and we save 4.38% on the wage bill and really notice no difference in how the country is being run. More days of action please.

And at what point can we start sacking them for breach of contract for not coming to work, and if they ring in sick tomorrow - will that be allowed after a day on strike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,607 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

plus Dundrum shopping centre was heaving today, economic stimulus how are ya!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Actually according to Newstalk a lot of them fúcked up north to newry for shopping...

bloody public sector...bad enough they do a 33 hour week, get obscene amounts of days off, on a so-called strike then today and a lot of them are up North giving money to the Brits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

silverharp wrote: »
    plus Dundrum shopping centre was heaving today, economic stimulus how are ya!

At least we get the duty on petrol and diesel for those public sector workers heading north to shop today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Berkut wrote: »
    Actually according to Newstalk a lot of them fúcked up north to newry for shopping...

bloody public sector...bad enough they do a 33 hour week, get obscene amounts of days off, on a so-called strike then today and a lot of them are up North giving money to the Brits :rolleyes:

And they are definitely to blame for Henrys handball last weekend. Not to mention the floods this country is experiencing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

I was talking to someone on the phone in Enniskillen today too and it seems it is much busier than normal, huge huge traffic jams with all the public sector people shopping. And then the public sector cry when the government is not taking in half enough here in vat and other taxes to pay them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Won't that be in breach of their contract?

They get paid an annual salary, in monthly installments. Their contract is such that even do they get holidays, they are paid holidays.
    if they take a day off and lose a days wage its 1 day out of 1 working year which is 52*5=260 so they lose one 260th of they annual salary.

Thats their contract end of.
    Anything else and they would be liable for sueing.
    Also any facts to back up the average wage of 60k?
    60K is like top tier more or less requiring about 25 years min I think(correct of wrong).
    Would save much less then your thinking.

And also, of course they will be allowed to call in sick tomorrow if they want. They are allowed to call in sick today provided they go and get the doctors cert etc! If someone is sick they are sick. Nothing can be done about it.

Also its worth noting... everyone gets sick pay...
    If you don't claim it off the government then thats your own fault.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bridgitt wrote: »
    I was talking to someone on the phone in Enniskillen today too and it seems it is much busier than normal, huge huge traffic jams with all the public sector people shopping. And then the public sector cry when the government is not taking in half enough here in vat and other taxes to pay them.

any proof of this..........no i thought so!
    my sister in law is up there today with her mum and aunt, all of which are unemployed at present so i doubt its only public service people up there shopping :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Well, if you appear to be so jealous of the terms of pay and employment conditions in the public service, why didn’t you apply for a vacancy when they were going in it then?

Some of the anti public service rants in these forums are sad really. It demonstrates the Irish are still the world leaders in begrudgery etc.

To those are self-employed, or are in a career, it seems you voluntarily chose what you are doing, and when things go wrong (sorry it happened) you suddenly start complaining about others who are seemingly doing better than you. I’m in a public service job myself (library, third level college). I like it, plus the job security is an added bonus. I was in the private sector and lost my job in the early 90’s, so I decided I didn’t want to go through that again.

I won't feel guilly about the terms and conditions I have now, and no amount of sob stories from those in the private sector will make me change my mind. Here’s something to encourage them along actually:

32625092.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

kceire wrote: »
    any proof of this..........no i thought so!
    my sister in law is up there today with her mum and aunt, all of which are unemployed at present so i doubt its only public service people up there shopping :rolleyes:

True, But Public Sector do about the same amount of work as the Unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭targus

You should have applied for a job in the Public Sector if their conditions are that good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Well, if you appear to be so jealous of the terms of pay and employment conditions in the public service, why didn’t you apply for a vacancy when they were going in it then?

Some of the anti public service rants in these forums are sad really. It demonstrates the Irish are still the world leaders in begrudgery etc.

To those are self-employed, or are in a career, it seems you voluntarily chose what you are doing, and when things go wrong (sorry it happened) you suddenly start complaining about others who are seemingly doing better than you. I’m in a public service job myself (library, third level college). I like it, plus the job security is an added bonus. I was in the private sector and lost my job in the early 90’s, so I decided I didn’t want to go through that again.

I won't feel guilly about the terms and conditions I have now, and no amount of sob stories from those in the private sector (repeating again: who are in a job that they consciously chose themselves), will make me change my mind. Here’s something to encourage them along actually:

32625092.gif

You wont feel sorry for everyone NOT in the Public Sector. Fair Enough. But would you complain if your wages where reduced to an acceptable level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

that violin is way too big :D

did you not see my rolling eyes smiley...
    as much as I bitch about the ps even I wouldn't begrudge them a trip up north...

and yes..actually by the way..the ESB were to blame for the flooding in Cork :D
    so godamnit..it's all the PS's fault :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

targus wrote: »
    You should have applied for a job in the Public Sector if their conditions are that good..

Yeah, how about we get everybody a job in the public sector!:rolleyes:
    We have to have a private sector to pay for the public sector!

True, But Public Sector do about the same amount of work as the Unemployed.

can you back this up or is it comming out of your backside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

You wont feel sorry for everyone NOT in the Public Sector. Fair Enough. But would you complain if your wages where reduced to an acceptable level?

I accepted the pension levy changes, plus a pay cut in the 3% to 5% range if it happens.
    that violin is way too big :D

did you not see my rolling eyes smiley...
    as much as I bitch about the ps even I wouldn't begrudge them a trip up north...

and yes..actually by the way..the ESB were to blame for the flooding in Cork :D
    so godamnit..it's all the PS's fault :D

Nah! I just like the way the bow on that violin moves back and over! :D God's the ultimate public servant actually!! He'e responsible for all that rain isn't he?!!!! :D

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Yeah, how about we get everybody a job in the public sector!:rolleyes:
    We have to have a private sector to pay for the public sector!

and if we had no public sector the government would have to pay somebody to the work the PS does.

in July 2007 DCC advertised for Technicians and couldnt fill the quota, they had to re-advertise to get the staff and still didnt fill the quota! people just didnt want a PS job while things were good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The government could end public sector strikes if they passed on the money saved in wages for the day back to the public in the form of a tax rebate.

The point of striking is that the withdrawal of services inconveniences the public. The government is put under pressure by the public to give in to the demands.

However in these difficult times the public might actually welcome strikes if it means a few euros in their pockets even if they have to do without some services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I thought this was an Irish Economy forum?

kippy wrote: »

it could be renamed to The PS Bashing Forum........

muboop1 wrote: »
    Won't that be in breach of their contract?

Also its worth noting... everyone gets sick pay...
    If you don't claim it off the government then thats your own fault.

Self employed paying a self employed stamp are entitled to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

kippy wrote: »

is this not fully relevent to the state's economy?

and if we had no public sector the government would have to pay somebody to the work the PS does.

!

great idea - privatise the public sector:

issuing of car tax discs, driving licence renewals (a PS job creation scheme if ever there was one), administration of the Education service, admin in hse, admin in all county councils, all road service repairs to be taken away from councils and put in private contract hands, all central government administration,

All of these things could be outsourced to facilities management companies - we would need about 60% of the numbers we have doing them now and the country would pay less for the services to be carried out.

Service level agreements would be maintained and all contracts would be open to PUBLICscrutiny.

Simple really why do you think so much of the private sector outsources non core activity
    COST AND EFFICIENCY.

Uh, then that would still be the public sector? With different people? :rolleyes:
    in July 2007 DCC advertised for Technicians and couldnt fill the quota, they had to re-advertise to get the staff and still didnt fill the quota! people just didnt want a PS job while things were good!

What industry wasn't looking for staff and couldn't fill positions back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bamboozle wrote: »
    is this not fully relevent to the state's economy?

Comments like this:
    True, But Public Sector do about the same amount of work as the Unemployed. Are not.

Uh, then that would still be the public sector? With different people?

exactly, people think that the PS are a pure tax write off as in the private sector fully pays for it. if the PS wasnt there, the tax money would be paid out to different people to do the work and hence the same cycle. :rolleyes:
    What industry wasn't looking for staff and couldn't fill positions back then?

then the PS bashers could of took a PS job back then but they wouldnt because of the salary differences. so they moan about it now.

exactly, people think that the PS are a pure tax write off as in the private sector fully pays for it. if the PS wasnt there, the tax money would be paid out to different people to do the work and hence the same cycle. :rolleyes:

WHAT!?!
    That would still be the public service! It doesn't matter who is in it, it's still the public service! It wouldn't have changed from being the public service!
    That's like saying;
    "We have 100 people in our club, but if we changed them all, we'd have 100 different people in our club."
    "That's true. but why would we do that?"
    "Uh, I dunno, I'm just making a point"
    "Which is?"
    "Well, the people in the club will have changed"
    "but the club would be the same?"
    "Yes"
    "Who invited you again?"

"People think"? Which people? Only idiots would think that!
    Tell me where someone has said
    "if we got rid of the public service, we'd save the entire amount that we currently spend on it because it wouldn't exist" !?
    then the PS bashers could of took a PS job back then but they wouldnt because of the salary differences. so they moan about it now.

All of them, yeah? They could all have gotten jobs in the public sector? Or do you mean just most of them?

Or do you mean "if you're not in the public sector, you've no right to say what goes on in it"

WHAT!?!
    That would still be the public service! It doesn't matter who is in it, it's still the public service! It wouldn't have changed from being the public service!
    That's like saying;

"People think"? Which people? Only idiots would think that!
    Tell me where someone has said
    "if we got rid of the public service, we'd save the entire amount that we currently spend on it because it wouldn't exist" !?

All of them, yeah? They could all have gotten jobs in the public sector? Or do you mean just most of them?

Or do you mean "if you're not in the public sector, you've no right to say what goes on in it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭targus

Can you quote the source of your information as per forum rules please?

Advertisement