Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Alert! Athlone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

vigos, any idea when that's from? The burgess park is a much more flooded than in that pic for a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    vigos, any idea when that's from? The burgess park is a much more flooded than in that pic for a few days now.

Really it´s worse than that?

Well accoring to his blog post its the 21st Nov

http://johnsmyth.ie/blog/2009/11/21/the-voyage-home/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Gwydion wrote: »

Considering how places like Athlone bucked the trend during the local elections by returning the usual high number of fianna failer's and considering cowan is a midlander, you would imagine he would of at least looked more engergetic than they way he did, and make a very simple request by the locals. Considering come elections, these lads will almost offer to baby set your child in order to get your vote - ya nearly have to set the dogs on them

on the other hand, cowen and his like would be better of in the dail or brussels dealing with the administrative side and leave the civil defence and army to do their jobs. you could sympathise with cowen's need to get back to dublin quickly. actions are better than words.still, you would be sure he would be out like bertie a few years ago if the problems were in his beloved clara/tullamore or dublin:rolleyes:. maybe the recent protests in athlone left a bitter pill for cowen:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 leukoshoopr

I'm from Dublin (a Dublin Bus driver working for Bus Eireann till Xmas) I know how to get to Athlone shopping centre(beside the railway station?) where the SVP drop off area is-hoping to bring some stuff up to SVP is that area ok for travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Hi,
    I took the Athlone panoramic image picture mentioned by Vigo above. It was taken from the 8th floor of the Sheraton hotel around 8am on Friday [20th] morning [it's a bunch of pictures taken with a compact camera and then stitched together afterwards in Photoshop]. You can see how the water was beginning to snake around behind the shopping centre.
    It certainly has got worse since - I took some pictures last Wednesday (25th) and the water is far higher - I'll post those images to my site later today.

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 9 leukoshoopr

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Credit due to whoever designed Golden Island, there is banking all along the back and side which means that the Shopping Centre is remaining high, dry and open throughout. Planning done right for once.

Look at www.floodmaps.ie for historic flood data.

Here's a map of the Athlone are in 1954.

97560.jpg
    97561.jpg

According to the opw site the 1954 floods were worse, I found these newspaper report of the floods from the same site
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/GetReport.aspx?PA_ID=3261
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/GetReport.aspx?PA_ID=1252

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Guys, is Hudson Bay okay now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement