Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with upgrade

Options
  • 24-11-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I am upgrading my computer at the the moment but what I am not sure of is the HD.I have Windows XP Pro Sp3 installed on it and I dont want to do a reinstall.

I have a new motherboard,CPU,Memory,Graphics card and PSU.

I have been advised to remove the vidio drivers from the HD before I start.

Is there anything else I should do to ensure the system boots up without any problems.

I would be grateful for any help,
    Thanks Stevc1.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

CPU and motherboard/chipset drivers can also make it puke for the same reasons. So can wireless drivers in the unlikely event you've also changed your wifi receiver as well (if you ever used one in the first place!). Also bear in mind XP will throw a temper tantrum if you stick the HDD and its old install into an otherwise new PC so have a phone and the license key handy, you'll need to reactivate it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stevc1

Hi Solitaire,
    Thank you for your help.
    I am using the same wifi receiver so that part is alright.I did a similar upgrade a few years ago but that was with Win 98.It worked after a bit of tinkering but maybe it wont work with XP.
    I might just break the bank and go for Win 7.
    Thanks again Stevc1

Advertisement