Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sparky84 wrote: »
    Was St Catherines in Inchicore ???

Might have missed where this question came from, but there's a good few St.Catherines in Dublin 8, Meath St/Thomas St., etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

WindSock wrote: »
    The Irish Yeast co on Pearse St

2452245633_3a815dcd76.jpg?v=0

They interviewed a guy on the Joe Duffy Show yesterday, whom still works in this store. He has worked they for 70 years....

Sparky84 wrote: »
    Was St Catherines in Inchicore ???

Do you mean St. Catherine's Bakery? It is Beside the old G F Handels Bar on the corner of Thomas Street and Thomas Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CiaranIRL

This is a brilliant thread! How do I save a thread to return to or do I have to keep looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

CiaranIRL wrote: »
    This is a brilliant thread! How do I save a thread to return to or do I have to keep looking for it?

This thread is stickied so it'll always be at the top of the page in the first 2 or 3 threads in the Dublin City Forum.:)

• Advertisement

Thank you! Can I 'bookmark' other threads tho' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

CiaranIRL wrote: »
    Thank you! Can I 'bookmark' other threads tho' ?

You can bookmark the thread seperately if you want,bookmark it from this page so you don't have to go through the previous pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yep. To bookmark, go to "thread tools", at the top of the page there, click on it, and then click on "Subscribe to thread"

Thanks Me Right One

Anyone know what the green buliding with Grotto House on it is in Inchicore, it's just opposite Mary Immaculate Church on Tyrconnell Rd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Eddie Rocket's on Dame St.:

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6576

According to the letterbox plate the building's name is Seiko House:

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6577

The Stella Cinema in Rathmines:

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6578

I got a couple more today aswell and I'll put them up tomorrow after I resize them.

Here are some more that I got yesterday:

Renard's, Frederick St. South

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6590

Battersby's Auctions, Harcourt St.

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6591

The Georgian Restaurant, Richmond St. South

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6594

There's a great photo of it up already, I know. Here you can see the very top of the lettering.

Green Machines, Terenure Road East, Terenure

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6592

If you look closely you can see the scars of a "CASTROL" sign.

Terenure Printers, Rathfarnham Road, Terenure

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6593

I also saw an old English-only street name that I never thought of photographing at the time. I'll get it the next time.

Andrews Lane Theatre???

Andrews Lane Theatre???

I thought it closed about two years ago??? I checked on Google, but there do seem to be event listings for there. From what I can make out it's no longer a theatre, but a nightclub. There is also a website called andrewslane.com which is up for sale and I don't know if it used to belong to the theatre or not. You seem to know so what is the deal with it now?

If it's still open I'll take the photo back down as it would not be a ghost. :)

I thought it closed about two years ago??? I checked on Google, but there do seem to be event listings for there. From what I can make out it's no longer a theatre, but a nightclub. There is also a website called andrewslane.com which is up for sale and I don't know if it used to belong to the theatre or not. You seem to know so what is the deal with it now?

If it's still open I'll take the photo back down as it would not be a ghost. :)

Ye it's been a Nightclub for at least 2 years iirc, still going strong aswell.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Hermy wrote: »
    Does this count as a 'ghost sign'?
    DSC00692_Medium.jpg

now turned into a ladbrokes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

robbie_998 wrote: »
    now turned into a ladbrokes :(

Noticed that recently... and it made me quite sad. :(

Brown's Barn, Naas Road at Citywest:

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6792

Barley Mow pub on the corner of Francis Street and Marks Alley West. Closed for a good few years now. Was used in the movie Rat. Burned down not long after that or during filming. Can't remember.

picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=6864

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,796 ✭✭✭✭L1011

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah, Molloys, it's been years since I was in that shop. I went to the CBS in Lucan and we were barred from going in there at lunch when I was in the school...

By my time there they let you in, and the repeats were allowed use the 'second queue' for non-schoolkids :D

G.F. Handel's bar on the corner of Thomas Court and Thomas Street.

picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=6907

I think that these are a type of ghost sign since they are from pre-Independence days and by rights shouldn't be there any more. I guess that all such signs were replaced by ones showing the names in English and Irish, but these two seem to have survived.

English language only street signs on the corner of Nassau and Grafton St. The one on Nassau St. has been covered over by a new-style sign, but the old one underneath is still visible:

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6915

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=6916

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

foreign wrote: »
    G.F. Handel's bar on the corner of Thomas Court and Thomas Street.

picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=6907

Thats a bit of an odd one. I wonder who owns it, it looks a fairly nice pub and for the last few years theres a Stella Artois light above the door thats always on so there must be someone paying the ESB bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thats a bit of an odd one. I wonder who owns it, it looks a fairly nice pub and for the last few years theres a Stella Artois light above the door thats always on so there must be someone paying the ESB bills.
    Odd indeed. Bought 5 years ago for €3.5m, but I wonder how much it'd cost now?
    http://www.dublinpubs.ie/story.asp?id=37
    14/05/2005

Mean Fiddler buyers snap up Thomas Street pub for €3.5m

DENIS DESMOND, the concert promotor who is taking over Vince Power’s Mean Fiddler group, has bought his first pub in Ireland. Desmond and Shane Reihill, a venture capitalist also involved in the bid for Mean Fiddler, last week acquired GF Handel’s pub, on Dublin’s Thomas Street, for an estimated €3.5m.

Handel’s has been closed since the turn of the year after a lease to run the pub expired. It was owned by a group of private investors, which also included Reihill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'Soldiers institute' Parkgate St.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123160&stc=1&d=1281203781

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I haven't read through the 20 pages of posts to check if this has already been mentioned. But there's one on Beaver St (the small street between Foley St and Railway St) for a brush factory, can't remember the name unfortuntely, it's really annoying me now. No pics that I can find either.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I haven't read through the 20 pages of posts to check if this has already been mentioned. But there's one on Beaver St (the small street between Foley St and Railway St) for a brush factory, can't remember the name unfortuntely, it's really annoying me now. No pics that I can find either.

Varians? (they had their retail outlet in Talbot St)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Rashers wrote: »
    Varians? (they had their retail outlet in Talbot St)
    Don't think so, or if it was that's not what it said on the side. I'll have to check it out again.

Thinking of that area though, maybe not quite a ghost sign as such, but the adjacent road, Railway St, has a big long wall with a white cross on it from back when the Magdalen laundry was there. Something quite creepy about it actually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it Daly's?

Advertisement