Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Never noticed this before,Unity Building on O'Connell St. Appears that the building is still called the Unity Building although occupied by various business' now.

IMAG0194.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

On Lower Dorset Street

202180.jpg

Old Marlboro sign??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

On Lower Dorset Street

202180.jpg

Old Marlboro sign??

Yes, it is. I vaguely remember it being there when I was younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wrong way round for a Marlboro sign, and they would have been unknown here back in the days when painted signs were popular.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ninja900 wrote: »
    Wrong way round for a Marlboro sign, and they would have been unknown here back in the days when painted signs were popular.

Its an old "No 6" sign i reckon..think they were made by Carrolls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Pass by these places most days

Just Down Marks Lane off Lombard Street Dublin 2

203047.jpg

And the old Countess pub and seashell fish bar on Townsend Street

203050.jpg

Pics taken from google maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The Master wrote: »

And the old Countess pub and seashell fish bar on Townsend Street
    /QUOTE]

Ahh, the chips in that place were wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Isn't there still a Virgin Megastore logo on the Dundrum Town Centre building at the Cinema side. cinema_building_dundrum_town_centre_large.jpeg?picture=2952602

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I believe these guys went out of business earlier this year so another modern ghost sign enters the fray.
    DSC02328_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Degsy wrote: »
    Its an old "No 6" sign i reckon..think they were made by Carrolls.
    Players made No. 6.

(I don't think it's a No.6 sign though)

PS - I think this thread has run it's course as nearly every sign has been posted already (some many times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have enjoyed this thread over the last couple of years on and off checking the photos.

You might all know about this and I might be paddy-last in finding this website:
    http://dublinghostsigns.wordpress.com/

I'm going through that site now and enjoying it just as much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I love this thread! I have read it from start to finish with interest and excitement - I take pics of signs like this whenever I spot them. However the further I got into the thread, the more disappointed I got - ye have all of mine covered I think :D I'll have to watch out for some more.

It's a shame that a lot of the images are no longer displaying but I guess that gives the rest of us a chance to post those ones again, whatever they were!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I took a wander down Camden Street over the weekend and snapped a few. There are still one or two at least that I missed but I'd had enough of doubling over and back across the street - I'll get them another time!

Carvill's Off Licence - thought I better snap this one quickly as it is in the midst of being transformed into a cafe/restaurant with a courtyard according to the sign outside.
    325103.jpg

Avanti Travel above Camden Casket
    325104.jpg

Bolton Rubber Stamps. I'm not entirely sure that this is closed - I have just never seen it open. There is a much bigger and better green sign for these guys on the first floor of the building but I didn't cross the street to photograph it, maybe next time.
    325105.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

How have I not come across this thread before? A friend of mine just wrote a book about the ghost signs in Dublin and I took the photos for it. The book is launching mid November and it's called Ghost Signs of Dublin. I've loved looking through the pictures on here! I wonder are there as many ghost signs in other cities.

Have these been shown before?
    The Nursing Home in Hume street
    326385.jpg
    One of the wards which are no longer in use. There are lots of Ward signs up around Fitzwilliam Sq and Baggot St.
    326386.jpg

Edmond Ross Photographer on Grafton Street. Not really sure if this one is a ghost sign though.
    327751.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Edmond Ross Photographer on Grafton Street. Not really sure if this one is a ghost sign though.
    327751.jpg
    it is, they've moved to St Stephens Green, see here http://edmundross.ie/#contact-us

love your montage, how did you do that on Boards:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

some ghost signs from Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

imme wrote: »
    it is, they've moved to St Stephens Green, see here http://edmundross.ie/#contact-us

love your montage, how did you do that on Boards:confused:

I presume made the montage and then uploaded it as the one image?

• Advertisement

Yes, I made the collage in Photoshop and uploaded it as one image. That's nice to know that the photographer's still around. Thanks for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Couldn't get a photo but the old half price jewellers in the gpo arcade is now a hair extension shop but all the old signage is still up.

It's the first time I've ever had pictures in the Irish Times. :) Hopefully this will bring interest in ghost signs to more people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

the Carpet Mills in Thomas Street

has anyone mentioned this? It's an asian version of Hector Grey's nowadays...

WP_000136_zps53f37a43.jpg

still has the old signs up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

tampopo wrote: »
    the Carpet Mills in Thomas Street

has anyone mentioned this? It's an asian version of Hector Grey's nowadays...

still has the old signs up...

Tragic to see ‘Forty Two’ next door, which had one of the great signs of Dublin until recently, now sporting a machine finished replica (I think one of the letters fell off the original) – it reminds me of the old New York dry cleaners on Abbey Street which now has an inferior copy of its original sign too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

In Richmond Park in Inchicore, there's a sign on the toilet block at the Shed End for Iceland, Ilac Centre

The sign for Smallman's is still there. They're long gone from the Bachelor's Walk area, aren't they?

P6271197_zpsl30rkxn6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

tampopo wrote: »
    In Richmond Park in Inchicore, there's a sign on the toilet block at the Shed End for Iceland, Ilac Centre

The sign for Smallman's is still there. They're long gone from the Bachelor's Walk area, aren't they?

P6271197_zpsl30rkxn6.jpg

Smallmans now in Ranelagh, they even have the old sign polished up inside the shop.

Spotted this morning on South William Street, this is about to be a ghost sign (or is already covered/removed at this stage). A new business is moving in to the premises.

Wholesaler of ladies & gents fashions.

362870.jpg

362869.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

slightly off topic was an interesting little segment on the last word last night about sign writing and traditional sign writing and how they are trying to revive it in limerick

Advertisement