Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

KilmainhamVauxhall.jpg

KilmainhamWheels.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Is that second pic the old wheels motorbike repair shop in Old Kilmainham Wishbone? If it is, it's really showing it's age, I remember getting my vespa repaired there at one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vektarman wrote: »
    Is that second pic the old wheels motorbike repair shop in Old Kilmainham Wishbone? If it is, it's really showing it's age, I remember getting my vespa repaired there at one time.
    Indeed it is!

The 'Vauxhall' sign is close by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

CUCINA wrote: »
    Also in Lucan, on the Ballydowd Road, there is a newsagents shop which still has the "Evening Press" sign hanging over the door, showing the original logo, corresponding to the mast-head on the newspaper.

Here we go,taken this morning:

2010-02-02111633.jpg

CUCINA wrote: »
    Also in Lucan, on the Ballydowd Road, there is a newsagents shop which still has the "Evening Press" sign hanging over the door, showing the original logo, corresponding to the mast-head on the newspaper.

Here it is. Note the Ergas sign as well.

picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=4883

Guess I should have looked at the last page of the thread first rather than looking for the original post!

• Advertisement

This one is on Westmoreland st above the Spar. Been meaning to take a pic of it for ages. I'd love to know what it means?!

2010-02-04143052.jpg

I guess this qualifies as a ghost sign now since the establishment changed names a few years ago.

download.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

foreign wrote: »
    Here it is. Note the Ergas sign as well.

Guess I should have looked at the last page of the thread first rather than looking for the original post!
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Here we go,taken this morning:

Ah, Molloys, it's been years since I was in that shop. I went to the CBS in Lucan and we were barred from going in there at lunch when I was in the school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

This is a great thread
    I took this one today on James Street Thomas Street
    2 old shops, Lynch and Conway

104933.jpg

tvbrat wrote: »
    This is a great thread
    I took this one today on James Street
    2 old shops, Lynch and Conway

Not to be too pedantic about it but it's actually Thomas Street, interestingly there was a laneway called Marhalsea Lane between these two buildings up to a few years ago until Lynchs pub bought it from the then Dublin Corporation and extended the pub over the lane, the sad thing about it is Marshalsea lane was one of the last viking era routes in the city complete with a cobbled surface and a drain channel running down the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the sad thing about it is Marshalsea lane was one of the last viking era routes in the city complete with a cobbled surface and a drain channel running down the centre.

If it interests you.

Darkey Kellys pub and hotel (Harding hotel) Fishamble st were built over similar, during renovations a few years back the builders discovered a similar lane from Fishamble St. through to Crow's lane.

However its preserved and a glass floor (with lighting) was put over the old cobble stones and drain. It run's through the hotel reception area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Not to be too pedantic about it but it's actually Thomas Street, interestingly there was a laneway called Marhalsea Lane between these two buildings up to a few years ago until Lynchs pub bought it from the then Dublin Corporation and extended the pub over the lane, the sad thing about it is Marshalsea lane was one of the last viking era routes in the city complete with a cobbled surface and a drain channel running down the centre.

Youre right its Thomas Street, sorry about that
    dont know where my head is today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

952.jpg

Here's a picture of it.

Is this not it still in between the two buildings? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

104959.jpg

Dord wrote: »
    952.jpg

Here's a picture of it.

Is this not it still in between the two buildings? :confused:
    Great picture Dord, Lynch's used it as a beer garden complete with canopy! I assumed it was lost for good so great to see it's still there, what a shame to see it's a bit of a rubbish dump now. :(

Castle Street.

DSCF3518.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Went for a stroll into town today in the glorious sunshine a managed to get a couple of photos.
    That's a nice piece of urban history, they merged with some smaller banks to become AIB, there was a Munster & Leinster building in Prussia Street but when I went to take a pic the sign had been cemented over.:(
    That can be seen over a lot of the more ornate AIB's.

Many of the Bank of Ireland premises still have their old name "Hibernian Bank".

Thanks for the info!

The Bottler's Bank in Rathgar:

107042.JPG

the toast bar in Rathmines:

107036.JPG

The Manhattan on Harcourt Road:

107043.JPG

... sorely missed. :D

Old John Player factory, taken from Donore Avenue:

107034.JPG
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah, Molloys, it's been years since I was in that shop. I went to the CBS in Lucan and we were barred from going in there at lunch when I was in the school...

I was sure nobody else would have put that up!

Did ye go to the A1 Cash Stores instead so? :D

107033.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Great photos Alex, thank you for taking the time to take 'em & get 'em up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

Is the Manhattan definitely closed? I remember seeing the light on in it when I went past at 4am on the way to the airport a few years back, it'd be class if it was still going. It's so dilapidated!

Great photos Alex, thank you for taking the time to take 'em & get 'em up here.

No worries. Hopefully there'll be more to come!
    LD wrote: »
    Is the Manhattan definitely closed? I remember seeing the light on in it when I went past at 4am on the way to the airport a few years back, it'd be class if it was still going. It's so dilapidated!

I think it's shut for good now. My Dad was telling me that he used to live around the corner from there and it was his local. As in it used to be a pub.

I was in there a couple of times with workmates: the classic Flannery's-Copper's-Manhattan combo. It still looked like a pub inside. When it was open the door was always shut and you had to knock to be let in! :D

The Gigs Place is still open, though. I was in there a couple of weeks ago as it happens. Just in case you're feeling peckish:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5327

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was in the gigs on sunday night, god the breakfast is good

Oh yeah!

I got another one this morning. It's on Terenure Road East on the way from Terenure to Rathgar:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5341

I guess it refers to some "extinct" administrative district. Anyone know?

there is one of them at appian way (ballsbridge end) and outside suburban autos in harolds cross

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

No worries. Hopefully there'll be more to come!

I think it's shut for good now. My Dad was telling me that he used to live around the corner from there and it was his local. As in it used to be a pub.

I was in there a couple of times with workmates: the classic Flannery's-Copper's-Manhattan combo. It still looked like a pub inside. When it was open the door was always shut and you had to knock to be let in! :D

The Gigs Place is still open, though. I was in there a couple of weeks ago as it happens. Just in case you're feeling peckish:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5327

Lasagane for 14.50?
    They can stick that up thier arses!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

there is one of them at appian way (ballsbridge end) and outside suburban autos in harolds cross
    And another on Lower Kimmage Road, west side, 100m or so south of the Sundrive crossroads.

DSCF3520.jpg

Beside North Circular Road gate to Phoenix Park, the words 'General Stores' are obscured by the railings.

DSCF3519.jpg

Joyces victuallers Benburb Street, closed about 25 years.

Degsy wrote: »
    Lasagane for 14.50?

Never mind that,Coke/Club Orange for €2.75!!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Pricey grub alright and I'd say most of it is straight from the shelves of Musgraves.

What you're really paying for is the drinking at all hours of the morning. My flatmate used to be able to get bottles of wine at all hours with no hassle when we lived opposite. Not exactly cheap but dead handy.

tom has had awful trouble with drunkards coming in and causing trouble, thats why his prices are a little high, to deter the trouble makers

• Advertisement

Exactly what I went for!
    Degsy wrote: »
    Lasagane for 14.50?
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Never mind that,Coke/Club Orange for €2.75!!:eek::eek:

I know, but what can ye do? That's a pretty normal price for any pub or restaurant, however.
    tricky D wrote: »
    Pricey grub alright and I'd say most of it is straight from the shelves of Musgraves.:

No doubt!
    tricky D wrote: »
    What you're really paying for is the drinking at all hours of the morning. My flatmate used to be able to get bottles of wine at all hours with no hassle when we lived opposite. Not exactly cheap but dead handy.

That's it, though, but do they still have wine now that the licensing laws were changed? We went for tea and coffee because we had already had more than or fill.

By the way, that old Police Station sign is very interesting. Is that still outside an old Dublin Metropolitan Police station, and if so, how on earth did it last until now?

Anyway, I'm going into town tomorrow and I'll be keeping a sharp eye out!

Advertisement