Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland

Options
  • 24-11-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

The brain drain the other way.

Here's my situation: work at fairly specific stuff in IT ( I mean software and some hardware) for which there is some occasional demand in Ireland ( but when it turns up I am nearly certain of the job) . Have seen some good salaries.

Recently broke up with English gf. Wasnt until then thinking of gong back to Ireland, enjoy the part of England where I live. I disliked the celtic tiger because really for my skillset it wasnt the best. I didnt sell, buy or build houses, or sell loans to people who did.

However, poverty and wealth are all relative.

Now I dont intend coming back now. Or even next year. Things may improve romantically here, for instance.

However I have savings, and converted my Euros to Sterling this year. If the rate ever goes back to what it ( 1.6) was I will be quids in in Euros ( but I cant spend euros here). Also property in Ireland is falling, and rents, and other prices, but have remained static or increased here - whereas wages are certainly not rising in the UK.

Against that, of course, is the higher taxes likely in Ireland in the near future.

Am I wrong. I think it wise sometimes to leave booms, and follow busts, if the bust is less likely to affect you.

Its all theorectical for now but convince me I am wrong :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

If you want to make money go to Asia.
    Then make a company in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

To answer the title of the thread, DON'T. It's worse than ever here, although if u look at it like that it could be the best time to come home cos things couldn't get much ****in worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I think you will definitely have to come home for a holiday and see what you think. No other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tough question, one which i have been asking myself a lot lately.

i've lived in Ireland for three years, but have spent the past 12 months working in London. It is getting to the point where we need to make a decision so that we can live as a proper family. We are still very undecided.

Where we live in Ireland is beautiful and where we live has everything. We are practically in the country, with lots of beautiful walks on our doorstep, but also have a big city just up the road. i can't think of anywhere in England that has that. All the suburbs of London seem to be full of coke snorting scumbags and or Muslim extremists. Public services are going to rapidly deteriorate in the UK because the country is saddled with a huge amount of debt, due in no small part to the robbing, greedy, egotistical bastards that ran RBS.

we also have our daughter in a great school and we would be very very lucky to get her into a school like that in England, without having to fork out a small fortune in fees.

However, I just can't see where the recovery is going to come from in Ireland, I really fear for it. Small companies are going to be taxed out of existence, or priced out of it by the stupid rent landlords charge and all the big companies seem to be upping sticks and clearing off in search of cheaper labour. It looks to me as though anyone in Ireland who has a bit of get up and go will do just that, which is probably worse for the economy than NAMA.

The thing is, whilst all this is to be expected to an extent, the government in Ireland is finished, it is a lazy, incompetant bunch of fools who don't seem to have any idea of what to do. Whilst the UK government may not be much better, at least there is an election soon, unlike Ireland. Also unlike Ireland, the opposition seem to have some sort of intelligence, I just don't see anybody in the Dail who inspires any sort of confidence.

I might just toss a coin and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

However, I just can't see where the recovery is going to come from in Ireland, I really fear for it. Small companies are going to be taxed out of existence, or priced out of it by the stupid rent landlords charge and all the big companies seem to be upping sticks and clearing off in search of cheaper labour. It looks to me as though anyone in Ireland who has a bit of get up and go will do just that, which is probably worse for the economy than NAMA.

The thing is, whilst all this is to be expected to an extent, the government in Ireland is finished, it is a lazy, incompetant bunch of fools who don't seem to have any idea of what to do. Whilst the UK government may not be much better, at least there is an election soon, unlike Ireland. Also unlike Ireland, the opposition seem to have some sort of intelligence, I just don't see anybody in the Dail who inspires any sort of confidence.

I might just toss a coin and take it from there.

Nail, hammer, head.
    I share the same worries and its getting downright depressing hearing people who, just 2 years ago I thought would be here forever, are now talking like there is no alternative.

I mean some of my friends already emigrated over the last 2 years, but those guys generally didn't have a whole lot going for them here.
    Now its the brainy bunch who are talking about it.
    At least everyone seems to want to go to Canada anyway, probably the 1 silver lining.

asdasd, if you come back, you might be the only person here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The thing is, whilst all this is to be expected to an extent, the government in Ireland is finished, it is a lazy, incompetant bunch of fools who don't seem to have any idea of what to do. Whilst the UK government may not be much better, at least there is an election soon, unlike Ireland.
    That's the problem with Britain, at least here the government here has no choice but to bring in harsh measures simply because there is no election which means they have nothing to lose. In Britain the same or similar harsh measures are needed, although probably not as harsh. None of the British political parties intend to scupper their election chances by telling the truth. The next British government, probably Tory will have cut almost as much as our bunch of fools. I can already see the broadcast. 'We've found the economy is even worse than we expected, cuts must be made.' says the Prime Minister.

Ireland's economy will grow again, bounce back as they said. But it'll be quite different to the boom. High unemployment is back and here to stay and higher taxes. Lower wages too. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of the boom again. The last few people with illusions about getting through this unscathed are marching up and down with placards today. I'm glad it's raining for them. Most of them should get used to being out in the rain because there will be a lot fewer of them in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

For the OP it is better than the "boom" never comes back. If he comes back here and gets an IT job in an enterprise that has survived the bust then that organisation has reasonable long term prospects. The cost of living here will have come down and a house can be had for a substantial sum instead of a King's ransom., so there can be real choice of where to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

@asdasd

if your guaranteed a job here then go for it, Ireland has huge problems but as far as i can see UK has bigger ones, they are just hidden under a mountain of printed money and statistical distortions by politicians who want to get reelected in few months even if that means the country sinks

things are getting cheaper fast and people are finally getting some sense knocked into them one way or another

this recession/depression business is the best thing that could have happened to this country, and people are starting to be more polite and enjoy life more (unless your saddled with huge debts but oh well :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

For the OP it is better than the "boom" never comes back.

Thanks, thats what I believe to a large extent. I actually produce stuff - hardware and software - rather than just sell. And so, if I can get a job in a blue chip I would go. Not now, but in the future.

I do like the part of England I am in - in their defence (if defence is needed) - the city I am in has some really good public service, decent shops, and decent people. As a city it is well run ( of course, there are always problems).

Dublin? At it's best I think it is under-estimated. It is situated on a beautiful bay. I lived on the northern Dart line last time I was there - 4 years ago and could access Howth, or even down to bray easy enough. The celtic tiger brought in some good things too: restaurants, and .... well restaurants.

But the rest - the traffic, the housing, the prices of normal goods in mini-supermarkets did my head in.

If that corrects, and it looks like it will, then I will think seriously about going back.

The next British government, probably Tory will have cut almost as much as our bunch of fools. I can already see the broadcast. 'We've found the economy is even worse than we expected, cuts must be made.' says the Prime Minister.

David Cameron has already said that if the Tories win the election there will be an emergenct budget within 50 days.

• Advertisement

asdasd wrote: »
    Thanks, thats what I believe to a large extent. I actually produce stuff - hardware and software - rather than just sell. And so, if I can get a job in a blue chip I would go. Not now, but in the future.

I do like the part of England I am in - in their defence (if defence is needed) - the city I am in has some really good public service, decent shops, and decent people. As a city it is well run ( of course, there are always problems).

Dublin? At it's best I think it is under-estimated. It is situated on a beautiful bay. I lived on the northern Dart line last time I was there - 4 years ago and could access Howth, or even down to bray easy enough. The celtic tiger brought in some good things too: restaurants, and .... well restaurants.

But the rest - the traffic, the housing, the prices of normal goods in mini-supermarkets did my head in.

If that corrects, and it looks like it will, then I will think seriously about going back.

Don't let the price of property put you off. what you see on Myhome.ie and daft.ie are purely aspirational prices now. The "Experts" are telling everyine that property has gone down by 25%, but in reality, it is just not selling. for a lot of properties you can almost name your price.

Great if you are a buyer ****e if you're a property owner. If you can afford to live along the coast (in fairness it is probably nice further inland, but I only have experience of the coast) then Dublin really is a lovely place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jacob07

Moving back home need storage space?
    Space Self Storage
    M50 South Dublin
    www.spacestorage.ie
    Easy cost effective storage solutions for home and business

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

I left Dublin for the UK last June. Closed our business and decided enough was enough. Not sure I will ever go back, even if the UK does get into more trouble than its in I will be looking to other places. However we do intend to settle where we are......

Where we live in Ireland is beautiful and where we live has everything. We are practically in the country, with lots of beautiful walks on our doorstep, but also have a big city just up the road. i can't think of anywhere in England that has that.

FF - I've moved to a National Forest in Hampshire, I've got Southampton, Portsmouth and Bournemouth a stones throw away, and I'm an hour and 20from London. I've a 80 mile round trip to work and I go through 1 set of traffic lights. Takes me 45 mins each way. You wouldnt get that in Ireland........There are places if you look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I am sure it depends, of course. I dont think I would like London but I live in a nice city in the West.

If I felt I had to get a job in London, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester etc. Or Dublin. I would choose Dublin.

Advertisement