Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24th Nov Strikes... What a joke

Options
  • 24-11-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I hear there is a 5 Mile Tailback going into Newry.... Way to get Public Support!!! Have a day off to shop... Cost the Gov more money!!I dont see many picket lines outside schools either!! Laughable!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I've just read on the RTE website they a second strike may take place on the 3rd December! :eek:

Jesus Christ, this is becoming a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Seen loads of picket lines. Don't know who is going to Newry, jumping to conclusions saying they are PS workers isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sean11

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Seen loads of picket lines. Don't know who is going to Newry, jumping to conclusions saying they are PS workers isn't it.
    Well its a bit of a coincidence isn't it... It was reported on TV3 News.. I drove by 2 schools in Kildare and no Picket.... Fact. :mad:. I wish I was given a day off to go shopping!! :eek:

sean11 wrote: »
    Well its a bit of a coincidence isn't it... It was reported on TV3 News.. I drove by 2 schools in Kildare and no Picket.... Fact. :mad:. I wish I was given a day off to go shopping!! :eek:

Lots of people took today off cos their kids won't have school. Strikers are obliged to picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

it's not a day off - they get docked a days pay for striking you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 celestialteapot

RobAMerc wrote: »

Fits my definition for a day off

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lots of people took today off cos their kids won't have school. Strikers are obliged to picket.

Yep thats worse they forced parents to take a day off because they went on strike. So not only did they effect 16000 patients who had their procedures cancelled they inconvienced a large body of parents as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

I hear there is a 5 Mile Tailback going into Newry.... Way to get Public Support!!! Have a day off to shop... Cost the Gov more money!!

Enniskillen today too is much busier than normal, long traffic jams with all the public sector people shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ASTI workers aren't: http://www.asti.ie/news/campaigns/november-24th-strike/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is ridiculous and in a politics forum as well.
    Theres absolutely no proof that this extra traffic in the north is fully made up of Public servants on strike.
    Teahers are only picketing certain schools and buildings as far as I am aware but they are picketing. Anyong I know on involved in the action was picketing this morning.
    Theres lots of families,people at a lose end due to the strike, whose to say its not those that are off to the North? There may be some public sector guys there on strike but the way rostering works in relation to pickets, they've every right to do what they want with the rest of the day, its no like they are getting paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Strikers are obliged to picket.
    HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Yes they're all out on the picket line, sure they are.:rolleyes:

Strikers are onliged to picket however this is done on a rostering basis usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strikers are obliged to picket.
    No they're not, they choose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

kippy wrote: »
    This is ridiculous and in a politics forum as well.

+1. More suited to After Hours I think.

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Yes they're all out on the picket line, sure they are.:rolleyes:

There are rules regarding pickets. You can't have everyone there at the same time think its 6 max at a time.

A few calls to Joe Duffy and the agenda for a day can be changed from the fcuk up the Gov has made of the country to attacking PS workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

250,000 public sector workers take to the picket lines

400,000 people on the dole (including me)

that 1.6 people for every public servant

If I was a public servant I would keep my head down!!

I personally would happily go through a training scheme to get a pensionable job with flexitime (in certain areas) working for the state rather than be o the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Seamus posted something in after hours after that, basically said they WILL get paid.

There are rules regarding pickets. You can't have everyone there at the same time think its 6 max at a time.

A few calls to Joe Duffy and the agenda for a day can be changed from the fcuk up the Gov has made of the country to attacking PS workers.
    Thats utter bollox.

I have seen several pickets today with more than 50 people. EG - immigration office on Burgh Quay.

Wheres Begg and O'connor today?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Boom Boom wrote: »
    I personally would happily go through a training scheme to get a pensionable job with flexitime (in certain areas) working for the state rather than be o the dole.

Then why didn't you do that two, three, five years ago?

Boom Boom wrote: »
    250,000 public sector workers take to the picket lines

400,000 people on the dole (including me)

that 1.6 people for every public servant

If I was a public servant I would keep my head down!!

Most people who are on the dole would be happy to have a job, whatever the circumstances.

Why would anyone keep their heads down?

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Seamus posted something in after hours after that, basically said they WILL get paid.

Not sure who will be getting paid and by whom.....

Unions sometimes have what is called "strike pay" however that is not common as far as I am aware.
    Anyone on the picket lines today will not be getting paid by the state. Only right too.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Thats utter bollox.

I have seen several pickets today with more than 50 people. EG - immigration office on Burgh Quay.

Wheres Begg and O'connor today?

Sorry but its true, large numbers are illegal as they would constitute a mass picket under the provisions of the Industrial Relations Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

seamus wrote: »
    No they're not, they choose to.

No we don't choose. I've just come back from picketing and I'm not surprised to see another public service bashing thread. I'm in the TUI. We are maintaining a picket all day outside the secondary school I work in (8am - 4pm). Our picketing rules state, no mass picketing, only 4-6 people on the picket at a time. I don't know the reason for this specific number. So we have a rota going. Nobody is exempt from picketing in my union unless they have a medical cert. All of our TUI staff did their picket duty today. ASTI (which also has members in my school) staged their pickets around the country from 8.30-10.00am. That's not something I'm in agreement with but I'm not in that union. I don't know much about INTO (primary teachers union) but from what I've heard they were told to go to Dublin today instead of picketing outside their primary schools.

It's a bit rich for people to take a cheap dig at PS workers and just assume everyone headed north today to go shopping. It's not just PS workers that shop in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

kippy wrote: »
    Not sure who will be getting paid and by whom.....

Unions sometimes have what is called "strike pay" however that is not common as far as I am aware.
    Anyone on the picket lines today will not be getting paid by the state. Only right too.

Sometimes unions do have strike pay. Haven't heard it being mentioned yet though. All of the staff in my school yesterday had to sign a form if they were going on strike saying that they are aware that they will not be paid for the day. We are not getting paid for striking.

Sorry but its true, large numbers are illegal as they would constitute a mass picket under the provisions of the Industrial Relations Acts.
    Grand, so those 50 odd people are in breach of the act? Where do I report them and what will be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Strike pay is usually only payable with effect from the third consecutive day of striking, and at that the pay is around €20 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nobody is exempt from picketing in my union unless they have a medical cert.
    And what will happen if you don't picket? Nothing. You choose to picket. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

RTE, TV3, BBC and Newstalk covered the tailbacks.

Said it was highly unusual for such a volume on a tuesday. Apparently a few were interviewed and said they were off roster on their picket.

Certainly looks bad, even if its only a small number of public sector workers taking the opportunity to head north. Not doing their cause any favours.

Public services were rightly praised for good work with the flooding and this is just destroying whatever goodwill that generated.

No we don't choose. I've just come back from picketing and I'm not surprised to see another public service bashing thread. I'm in the TUI. We are maintaining a picket all day outside the secondary school I work in (8am - 4pm). Our picketing rules state, no mass picketing, only 4-6 people on the picket at a time. I don't know the reason for this specific number. So we have a rota going. Nobody is exempt from picketing in my union unless they have a medical cert. All of our TUI staff did their picket duty today. ASTI (which also has members in my school) staged their pickets around the country from 8.30-10.00am. That's not something I'm in agreement with but I'm not in that union. I don't know much about INTO (primary teachers union) but from what I've heard they were told to go to Dublin today instead of picketing outside their primary schools.

It's a bit rich for people to take a cheap dig at PS workers and just assume everyone headed north today to go shopping. It's not just PS workers that shop in Northern Ireland.
    Out of interest, why exactly are you striking? Seriously?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    And what will happen if you don't picket? Nothing.
    The unions will expel them.....oh hold on...

Advertisement