Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24th Nov Strikes... What a joke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Boom Boom wrote: »
    I worked for a state agency under contract for over 3.5 years constantly rolling my contract awaiting sanctioning from dept of finance for the position I filled after that an hiring freeze and I was told to basically F. off

A few others I know in the same boat, so believe me I tried not that easy to get into the civil service/public sector

Would you be knocking the sector had you a full time job there now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Just went out and gave umbrellas to two picketers near my house. Fair play to them.

why didnt you give them the pin number of your atm card , thats what supporting them effectivley does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

irish_bob wrote: »
    why didnt you give them the pin number of your atm card , thats what supporting them effectivley does

In your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

what a ridiculous thing to say

zeus faber wrote: »
    When I stated "everybody" I do certainly mean the Trade Unions and the countries banks, but hey, the Govt are the ones in running the country and they totally failed to save for a rainy day or to address the situation until it was way too late

ramping up spending on public sector wages and social wellfare is one of the main reasons the deficit is so big , you seem to acknowledge the goverments role in this yet at the same time dont seem to support the goverments attempts to row back spending on wages and wellfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

kippy wrote: »
    Would you be knocking the sector had you a full time job there now?

No but i would not be picketing either

nor would I be claiming the dole for that matter as I am now I am now earning 204.30 a week which is a 77% drop in income which is a far cry away from what the public sector are being asked to give up.

so forgive me for not fully supporting them on this

Is that what it does BoB, Really?
    So he should have given them the PIN number to his ATM card and given them all the cash in his account. Wow, thats a really "out there " comment to make.

People really have to step back from the brink on both sides and take a big dose of cop on.
    The public sector have to realise that the money isnt there. Those that bash them need to realise they are people do who pay taxes,pay into pensions and deserve a wage for their work.
    Everyone has to pin the blame on the right people in all of this. Although I dont see the right people getting blamed or suffering the consequences. The majority after all have been voting for the cronyism and ethics of FF for years.

markfla wrote: »
    I know the country is broke, I can understand if the money is not there it ain't there, I've been advocating meritocracy for years in the public sector ala private sector....I know that many departments are bloated with numpties who are not needed, it's the Gardai, nurses and teachers I feel sorry for....they never had any wages of extravagance ala builders bankers or myself in the good times.... I see the protests as a simple matter of self preservation....right or wrong.....but they have a right to protest (or go shopping!)

guards , nurses and teachers all earn in excess of a thousand euro a week on average and would not have come within an asses roar of this had they worked in the private sector during the boom , you think your average nurse , guard or teacher is talented enough to be involved in banking at a high level , working at the cash tills doesnt pay a grand a week , most guards i know would have worked as builders labourers during the boom had they not chosen to pull motorists for no tax displayed and a labourer on the buildings didnt make as much as a rank and file cop this past decade and they worked much longer hours and much harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mr Goon

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Just went out and gave umbrellas to two picketers near my house. Fair play to them.

Fair play to you sir. It's nice to see that some people still have some human kindness left in them.

The way people are going on you would swear that everyone in the public sector were murderers and gang rapists, some of the comments on here are way OTT.

Boom Boom wrote: »
    No but i would not be picketing either

nor would I be claiming the dole for that matter as I am now I am now earning 204.30 a week which is a 77% drop in income which is a far cry away from what the public sector are being asked to give up.

so forgive me for not fully supporting them on this

So,
    Lets just say you got this job with the public service. You obviously have a good idea of what scale it was on and know the wages.
    After the pension levey earlier this year and the cuts that hit everyone, how much more of a cut to your wages would you have been okay with?

I work in the Public Service and I dont fully support the strike either btw......I believe the reasons people are striking are daft and think the unions could and should come up with better reasons for striking and better and more outside the box methods for the country to save money.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    what a ridiculous thing to say

no public sector wage cuts means income tax increases on everyone including the majority middle class and middle earners , contary to what the beardos tell us , thier are not enough mr burns rich pricks out there to squeez to the tune of a few billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Guys calm it down a bit please. Public opinion, and opinion here is split on this issue at the very least we expect you to be able to respectfully disagree with each other on this.

no public sector wage cuts means income tax increases on everyone including the majority middle class and middle earners , contary to what the beardos tell us , thier are not enough mr burns rich pricks out there to squeez to the tune of a few billion

Do you honestly believe that whatever cuts are made will be used wisely by the government?

you think your average nurse , guard or teacher is talented enough to be involved in banking at a high level ,

Teachers are usually some of the most intelligent people in most countries, so I'm sure a lot could turn their hand to banking at any level you asked them to.

Also, using banking as an example probably wasn't the wisest move. Considering the monumental f*ck up our top bankers have made, I don't thnk it's really a job to be aspired to.

By the way, 20% of my colleagues earn €1,000 a week (€52,000 a year...not enormous), the rest of us are below that, some considerably, so we don't ALL earn in excess of €1,000 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Do you honestly believe that whatever cuts are made will be used wisely by the government?

If by "used wisely", you mean stop borrowing as much, then yes.
    Mr Goon wrote:
    €52,000 a year...not enormous

Not enormous in your world.

Stark wrote: »
    If by "used wisely", you mean stop borrowing as much, then yes.

They have to pump another 4-5 billion into AIB,
    Thats where all the "saved" money is going..........this whole not needing to borrow it to pay the public sector wages is a mishomer, it'll be borrowed to pump into the banks instead.....

I agree, we should cut back on borrowing, but pouring money into Anglo or any other bank is a complete waste of money.

Ill say it again, people need to keep their eyes on the ball, I believe the PS wages need to be cut, but lets look at other areas we can save money in, merging schools and government buildings/departments etc, and keeping any eye on where the big money is gettin spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zeus faber

ramping up spending on public sector wages and social wellfare is one of the main reasons the deficit is so big , you seem to acknowledge the goverments role in this yet at the same time dont seem to support the goverments attempts to row back spending on wages and wellfare

I have no issues with taking a pay cut,I totally understand the country is broke and cuts need to be made( the sooner the better) but the present govt are the ones that let it happen, by "playing nice" to everybody for votes, the point I am making is that the govt created this public v private divide to create a smokescreen around themselves. I really do hope this upcoming budget addresses some of the countries problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I know that bob but to imply that giving someone an umbrella is akin to letting them take money from your bank account is outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

seamus wrote: »
    Copper Face Jacks is thronged every Monday evening with Gardai and Nurses. It's a sight to behold.
    Sorry about that man but, having worked 7 nights straight from 10pm to 6am, i too deserve a night out with my unit on MY WEEKEND. I shouldn't have to apologise just because it doesn't coincide with yours
    guards , nurses and teachers all earn in excess of a thousand euro a week on average
    Don't know too many earning this much on the front line; Take out the senior management out of the CSO figures and it may be slightly realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

So,
    Lets just say you got this job with the public service. You obviously have a good idea of what scale it was on and know the wages.
    After the pension levey earlier this year and the cuts that hit everyone, how much more of a cut to your wages would you have been okay with?

I work in the Public Service and I dont fully support the strike either btw......I believe the reasons people are striking are daft and think the unions could and should come up with better reasons for striking and better and more outside the box methods for the country to save money.

Well a friend of mine who is in PS in a similar position worked out that he is down about 11% of net pay that after he pays into the pension and his reduction he is paying less tax and it brings him back to the 20% bracket.

It is understandable that the PS have to draw a line but if I was working in the PS I would be fuming with the union as this is why general secretaries are paid 150k a year they are not up to scratch and to blame for a lot in this country.

But these are just my opinions and as many others are on these forums I'm merely airing my opinions. There is no question that this debate could go on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Not to mention that they still have secure pensionable jobs after the collapse, whereas all the builders are on the dole queues.

Builders made their decision to go into that industry. I haven't got an ounce of pity. They were the ones driving the jeeps and SUV's etc, coining it in. I know of an independent plumber who freely admitted to myself that he was charging €180 per hour on call outs. That was the minimum charge. He worked in half hour blocks, so if you called him out, he had a look for 10 minutes and left, €90 charge. If he actually did anything that was extra labour and parts. I was talking to him during the week. He freely admitted to taking every penny he could get, while he could get it.
    apparently COPPER FACE JAXX was thronged last night with nurses and other ps workers who had the day off today , taxi drivers on radio said they were as busy as any weekend

'Jack's', and give it a rest would you, I know plenty of private sector workers who frequent coppers weeknights. I'm embarrassed to call myself private sector with this kind of nonsense being thrown around.
    guards , nurses and teachers all earn in excess of a thousand euro a week on average and would not have come within an asses roar of this had they worked in the private sector during the boom , you think your average nurse , guard or teacher is talented enough to be involved in banking at a high level

What a load of crap. I know gardaí, teachers and nurses, and none of them are earning in excess of a thousand a week.

Put it this way you think the public sector workers aren't talented enough.... well it's not them joining the dole queue is it? Plus your average private sector worker isn't talented enough to be involved at high level banking either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

guards , nurses and teachers all earn in excess of a thousand euro a week on average and would not have come within an asses roar of this had they worked in the private sector during the boom , you think your average nurse , guard or teacher is talented enough to be involved in banking at a high level

Are you for real? Well it was these "Talented" bankers who got us into this mess in cohorts with our illustrious leaders. with my wife being a teacher and my father a rozzer I can assure you neither are earning anywhere near a grand a week....although I'm sure some principals and inspectors are earning this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I know that bob but to imply that giving someone an umbrella is akin to letting them take money from your bank account is reactionary and outrageous.

Actually he wrote "why didnt you give them the pin number of your atm card , thats what supporting them effectivley does". The amount each of the public service strikers is overpaid is far more than in most atm bank accounts, so I agree its outrageous. The strikers can well afford umbrellas more so than the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

They have to pump another 4-5 billion into AIB,
    Thats where all the "saved" money is going..........this whole not needing to borrow it to pay the public sector wages is a mishomer, it'll be borrowed to pump into the banks instead.....

I agree, we should cut back on borrowing, but pouring money into Anglo or any other bank is a complete waste of money.

Ill say it again, people need to keep their eyes on the ball, I believe the PS wages need to be cut, but lets look at other areas we can save money in, merging schools and government buildings/departments etc, and keeping any eye on where the big money is gettin spent.

Cut back on all the padded senior management, HSE for example

Why can we not let some of these white elephant banks go under? If it is just costing tht state money to keep throwing more money at them, surely this is lose lose.

Mr Goon wrote: »
    Teachers are usually some of the most intelligent people in most countries, so I'm sure a lot could turn their hand to banking at any level you asked them to.

Also, using banking as an example probably wasn't the wisest move. Considering the monumental f*ck up our top bankers have made, I don't thnk it's really a job to be aspired to.

By the way, 20% of my colleagues earn €1,000 a week (€52,000 a year...not enormous), the rest of us are below that, some considerably, so we don't ALL earn in excess of €1,000 a week.

the poster i was replying to brought up banking , the average teacher warns 60 k per year , the average guards the same and the average nurse 50 k per year so the majority are not considerabley below

gerire wrote: »
    Sorry about that man but, having worked 7 nights straight from 10pm to 6am, i too deserve a night out with my unit on MY WEEKEND. I shouldn't have to apologise just because it doesn't coincide with yours

Don't know too many earning this much on the front line; Take out the senior management out of the CSO figures and it may be slightly realistic

nurses average 50 k per year , guards 1200 per week , il fish out the link if you want

Not enormous in your world.

Tell you what, tax people 60% of their income over €52,000 and see the private sector have a collective seisure. Bring it on I say, it won't affect anyone on low pay (public OR private) or the unemployed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The question of other uses for the money does not arise, because it is money the state does not have, that will ultimately need to be borrowed unless cuts are made.

the poster i was replying to brought up banking , the average teacher warns 60 k per year , the average guards the same and the average nurse 50 k per year so the majority are not considerabley below

The average teacher earns nothing like €60k per year. Those at the top of the scale can earn that but most of us are nowhere near that.

FYI, I am in the public sector for 7 years. I STILL do not earn what I was on the day I finished in the private sector. Yes, I have benefits (holidays, pension etc) but this idea that ALL public servants are overpaid is crazy.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    The question of other uses for the money does not arise, because it is money the state does not have, that will ultimately need to be borrowed unless cuts are made.

Of course it arises.
    Do you honestly think that this cut will save the state having to borrow? It'll save the state having to borrow for Public sector wages, but it will mean they have more leeway to borrow for other things, such as recapitalisation of the banking sector.
    Thats how things work in this country.

Advertisement