Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

law and business ucd v trinity

Options
  • 24-11-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

i didn't know where exactly to post this so forgive me if i did wrong.

so i really want to do law and business, because i don't just want a pure law degree.
    I intend to work hopefully in the future in an international institution/company so I think this is a very good basic degree.
    My question is whether you would advise to do b&l in ucd or in trinity?
    The course in trinity is only new so this is a way could be a downfall?
    and my brother is in his final year in ucds course and he loves it.
    for law courses or in particular this course which do you think is better?
    i have friends that skipped ty and are in ucd and they say its meh, just too big...
    but then for someone like me who will have to rent accommodation, is ucd handier?
    any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

It's hard to answer this for you really, as no-one can have experienced both, but I'll do my best to give you an idea of B&L in UCD. I'm in 3rd year now, there are definitely upsides to the course in terms of range of opportunities. I get the impression from the website that there are a broader range of business studies studied in UCD. My advice would be go to the open days at both colleges, get a feel for the place and see which atmosphere you prefer.

Both universities have good reputation in law, so I wouldn't be worried about the quality of teaching. Nor is it too difficult to make friends in B&L in UCD, there are 3 small classes of 50, and half the time in 1st and 2nd year you'd be in these classes. Group-work and society work makes it easy enough to make friends if you make the effort.

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to try and answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

yeah i guess its more the first year trinity peoples opinions that id more appreciate (not that i dont appreciate yours :D) its just that like i said i have a brother in final year b&l so get his opinion even if a little biased. if your in third year, did you not go on the european study, or do you plan the fifth year international or just nothing?
    my brother has nothing but praise for one lecturer, rossa fanning?...i wonder are there any witty trintiy lecturers haha

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

aliqueenb wrote: »
    yeah i guess its more the first year trinity peoples opinions that id more appreciate (not that i dont appreciate yours :D) its just that like i said i have a brother in final year b&l so get his opinion even if a little biased. if your in third year, did you not go on the european study, or do you plan the fifth year international or just nothing?
    my brother has nothing but praise for one lecturer, rossa fanning?...i wonder are there any witty trintiy lecturers haha

I wouldn't bank on having rossa, he's taking very few classes this year as he's practicing as a barrister a lot more..

oh right, hmmm stress of teenage college choices haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

muffinman wrote: »
    I wouldn't bank on having rossa, he's taking very few classes this year as he's practicing as a barrister a lot more..

He said he was finished completely this year due to work commitments?

Regarding the OP's question, I would say go with UCD, not because I went there and did B&L, but because the course has been going for almost 20 years and is widely recognised and highly regarded, as opposed to the L&B in TCD which is only in its infancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Rossa is gone sadly :( In fairness though I am suprised any of the law lecturers lecture. They all make plenty being barristers/solicitors.

I always get given out to for bringing up ranking tables on these forums, but I am going to go ahead and say, that by rank UCD is way better at business/commerce, and only just worse at law.

I'm in pure law, and from a law perspective B&L literally do about half as much as I (personally) do but I have an extra law module some pure law students don't.

The one thing I will say in defense of Trinity is that Bess has combined Business and Law into one course for years now, just nowhere near the extent UCD has. Oh and trust me, UCD life is more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

errlloyd wrote: »
    I always get given out to for bringing up ranking tables on these forums, but I am going to go ahead and say, that by rank UCD is way better at business/commerce, and only just worse at law.

The thing that attracted me to put it down #2 on my CAO last week was the accreditations.
    In terms of business accreditations, UCD is one of only 20 worldwide to have triple accreditied degrees.
    Im guessing it would help you get work with them in other countries and stuff.

And i have heard the UCD is good craic;)

whats your number 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Rossa is gone ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I'm a ucd bbls graduate.

Really enjoyed bbls and feel that its a really excellent degree. Probably the best business degree you can get in terms of giving you broad options. Would highly recommend it.

UCD is (or was - I graduated in 07) an absolute disgrace - for so many reasons I wouldn't go into.

I didn't know trinity were offering a b+l course until now. In my opinion ucd is stronger on business - tcd on law, and no reason to think a combined degree would change that

However - one caviat -if you intend on working outside of ireland, or applying for further study immediately post graduation bear in mind that trinity is ireland internationally recognised university (sad to say, but its true - no point arguing whichhas a higher standard of teaching etc - trinity has the name outside of ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

padser wrote: »
    trinity is ireland internationally recognised university (sad to say, but its true - no point arguing whichhas a higher standard of teaching etc - trinity has the name outside of ireland)

Not disagreeing or anything, as im new to all this.

I know ive mentioned this before, but would UCD's accreditiations help it in other countries (e.g. USA?) or would it be better to have a degree from trinity?

I would be going into the business area (not law)

Would trinity still be the better choice internationally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I'm assuming from your post that you would like to end up in law?

Business in UCD is internationally regarded as a higher standard.
    I think(just an impression i have) that Trinity law might be better regarded?

Best thing to do is contact both and request they tell you what fields their graduates are in now and go on that info!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Its impressive that you picked one of the few joint degrees were the numbers for each half of the degree differ from uni to uni.

There is one last thing you haven't thought of when considering how your degree is viewed abroad. That is the law aspect is almost completely useless. Studying law in one country and practicing in another is not a straight forward process. (Someone will flame, I'm not saying its impossible, just not easy). In that regard business is far more relevant and UCD is better for that. But again, overall. Trinity is probably better.

tbh i kinda want to do a masters after b&l in like international relations so i guess as long as i get a 2.1 in either course things should be grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 blanket

muboop1 wrote: »
    I'm assuming from your post that you would like to end up in law?

Business in UCD is internationally regarded as a higher standard.
    I think(just an impression i have) that Trinity law might be better regarded?

Best thing to do is contact both and request they tell you what fields their graduates are in now and go on that info!

Wouldn't be regarded as better in Ireland anyway. They are about level tbh, about as level as you'll get between the various strenghts of each college.

Advertisement