Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book deals 20% off until nov 30

• 24-11-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭

I bought two books off this site earlier
    http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/index.php
    1 x Lucky Break (9781409104933) = €11.99
    1 x It's Not What You Think (9780007327225) = €11.99
    1 x Discount: 20% Off (except School & College)! (P584) = €-4.80
    Sub-Total: €19.18
    Zone Rates (Delivery to IE): €6.25
    Total: €25.43

on easons its

Lucky Break
    Paperback by Nicholls Paul €13.99
    €13.99 Remove

Its Not What You Think (Signed By Author)
    Paperback by Evans Chris €14.99
    Save money with Christmas 2009 - Books of the Year 3 for 2 (A-Z by author) €14.99 Remove
    Easons was showing 4euro postage for me yesterday
    easons total around 33euro

Mods: I know someone posted this yesterday that
    might have been advertising or had something to do
    with the bookshop but I felt it's worth a mention
    when you can save nearly a tenner on two books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

The hardback version of Lucky break is available here on Amazon for £10.
    The hardback version of It's Not What You Think is available here on Amazon for £9.

Add shippping of £5.97, and you get both hardbacks delivered for £24.97.

Plus, if you add a 3rd book to the Amazon order to get the total over £25, for example Katie Price's Standing Outyou'll save the £5.97 shipping charge, and the total will be £28 delivered for the 3 hardback editions.

The above 3 books in paperback, delivered from omahoneys, is €35.83.

Hardly bargain material.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Soarer wrote: »
    Hardly bargain material.

That's not true!

You appear to be distorting the facts of mailburner's purchase - s/he wanted to read those two books and, by your own calculations, it is more expensive to buy them from amazon than from www.omahonys.ie

Amazon does not have the books available in paperback so it can only offer them in hardback whereas on www.omahonys.ie the customer can choose (albeit at a higher price for hardback).

Your arbitrary adding of an irrelevant title to suit amazon's pricing policy certainly makes them look cheaper.

However, using the same approach to distort a bargain could be used to show that www.omahonys.ie offers a better deal on many items. For example, O'Mahony's offers a free gift wrapping service whereas amazon charges 3.09 pounds per book. So if mailburner wanted his books gift wrapped and made the same purchase (taking the cheapest format available) in amazon it would have cost 19+5.97+6.18=31.15 pounds or 34.57 euro.

So, on that transaction, www.omahonys.ie would be over 9 euro cheaper than amazon. :)

(disclosure - I am affiliated with O'Mahony's Booksellers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I don't buy from shills, bargain or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

No ****, Sherlock!

The time to disclose your affiliations was when you announced your 'bargains'. I'll shop elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

That's not true!

You appear to be distorting the facts of mailburner's purchase - s/he wanted to read those two books and, by your own calculations, it is more expensive to buy them from amazon than from www.omahonys.ie

Amazon does not have the books available in paperback so it can only offer them in hardback whereas on www.omahonys.ie the customer can choose (albeit at a higher price for hardback).

your arbitrary adding of an irrelevant title to suit amazon's pricing policy certainly makes them look cheaper.

However, using the same approach to distort a bargain could be used to show that www.omahonys.ie offers a better deal on many items. For example, O'Mahony's offers a free gift wrapping service whereas amazon charges 3.09 pounds per book. So if mailburner wanted his books gift wrapped and made the same purchase (taking the cheapest format available) in amazon it would have cost 19+5.97+6.18=31.15 pounds or 34.57 euro.

So, on that transaction, www.omahonys.ie would be over 9 euro cheaper than amazon. :)

Pompous, wrongly-self-righteous sh1t! I hope O'Mahony's have learned their lesson.

You can buy both books in hardback here: www.bookdepository.co.uk for about E25 including delivery to your door!!!

I highly recommend that site for excellent value - and no, I'm not connected in any way - just a happy customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Thanks for all the info guys
    To be honest i probably buy 3/4 books a year
    so i dont shop around that much and have never
    even heard of some of these sites
    Never thought of checking amazon despite buying
    stuff off them every so often
    I only checked ebay and easons for the paul nicholls book
    I figured when another bookstore could beat easons by 8 euro
    or so then that would have been as good as it could possibly get

It doesn't say much for easons tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Soarer wrote: »
    The hardback version of Lucky break is available here on Amazon for £10.
    The hardback version of It's Not What You Think is available here on Amazon for £9.

Add shippping of £5.97, and you get both hardbacks delivered for £24.97.

Plus, if you add a 3rd book to the Amazon order to get the total over £25, for example Katie Price's Standing Outyou'll save the £5.97 shipping charge, and the total will be £28 delivered for the 3 hardback editions.

The above 3 books in paperback, delivered from omahoneys, is €35.83.

Hardly bargain material.

Thanks for that
    I'm feeling quite naive having shopped on amazon before
    and naturally i'd be buying a 3rd book to offset the p+p
    even it was something like jordans book
    and i normally do my homework when buying stuff and
    usually when I've posted a bargain alert here in the past
    it has rarely been bettered until now (mind you it was usually
    a beer bargain alert :D)
    I'll certainly be doing my homework next time I post here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

I hope you don't feel like my post was having a go at you mailburner.

I realise you posted in good faith, and without people posting what they believe to be bargains, this thread wouldn't exist.
    Another poster has recently been waxing lyrical about how good O'Mahony's are, and it turned out they had links to said website. So when I saw your post, it really got on my wick, and I went away to disprove your bargain.

I'm glad you saw my post for what it was, and that you had the smarts to see what I was doing by adding the 3rd book to offset the shipping.

There was no offense meant, I promise! :o

@ Lanigamadam: What a load of sanctimonious old twaddle that doesn't deserve a response.:mad:

Advertisement