Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Action Shopping

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Just heard on 2fm that Newry is like a Saturday/Sunday for shoping. :confused: Have all the public servants gone North for early Christmas shoping

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

could you not be bothered to read the threads already containing this.......why another thread?????

the general public are up there too, because of the teachers strike, alot of private sector workers have taken the day off to mind their kids and thus have gone shopping too.

its not only PS people up the north today..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

kceire wrote: »
    could you not be bothered to read the threads already containing this.......why another thread?????

the general public are up there too, because of the teachers strike, alot of private sector workers have taken the day off to mind their kids and thus have gone shopping too.

i think its bizarre & comical enough to warrent its own thread..

talk about a PR nightmare for the bearded brethern

bamboozle wrote: »
    i think its bizarre & comical enough to warrent its own thread..

what, the north is busy with shoppers.....course it is, has been for the past 3 years iirc! nothing new there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

how? if you have any information regarding the shoppers up north and where they work, do share it with us

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Private sector workers take a day off to go shopping. Just what the bosses want to hear as they the get ready for another round of cuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

No, not all of them went up North.

Mahon point here is ferking hectic atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Absurdum wrote: »
    how? if you have any information regarding the shoppers up north and where they work, do share it with us

Here's a spin on words I learned from Jack O'Connor

There would appear to be a large number of additional people gone north to shop today, however there is no evidence to support the claim that the vast majority of these people are not public sector employees.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

what, the north is busy with shoppers.....course it is, has been for the past 3 years iirc! nothing new there imo.

traffic & numbers shopping spike on the same day we have public service strikes....i dont think you need to be a genius to figure out whats accounting for the increases

whatnext wrote: »
    Here's a spin on words I learned from Jack O'Connor

There would appear to be a large number of additional people gone north to shop today, however there is no evidence to support the claim that the vast majority of these people are not public sector employees.:cool:

or maybe people headed up because the kids were off school and they didn't think that several thousand others would have the same idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

newman10 wrote: »
    Private sector workers take a day off to go shopping. Just what the bosses want to hear as they the get ready for another round of cuts

Or alternatively you could read it as private sector people have to take a day out of their precious annual leave requirement in the middle of ****ing November to look after their kids because a bunch of pampered paedagogues who get two months holiday in the middle of the year feel they should be immune to the economic downturn.

These public sector workers are underworked, overpaid and beneath contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Ikea Dublin is bursting at the seams with public sector workers who cant afford to take a pay cut!

Mad Finn wrote: »

because some radio stations suggested that they went shopping? bit harsh

traffic & numbers shopping spike on the same day we have public service strikes....i dont think you need to be a genius to figure out whats accounting for the increases

or maybe people headed up because the kids were off school and they didn't think that several thousand others would have the same idea? now, you dont have to be a genius to work that one out, do you??????

i know 2 girls that have gone up to newry together with their kids because they had to take the day off to mind them, they both work in the private sector. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spotdedog

The public sector are planning to rejoin the commonwealth, i have seen a memo from Capt Jack o'Connor mbe. It contains sensitive material as to the complete disassembly of the Irish infrastructure by the public sector and then in our darkest hour the brave brave British who we all know fed educated and house trained all our forefathers will honourably step in and save the day, in return they look for one thing and one thing only, they are requesting we exile JEDWARD to achill. The current rain and high tides will keep the Island cut off from the mainland and with the public sector under British control, all power and tele will be but a distant memory to the poor islanders who bravely took one for the team by staying on the island to be the gate keepers to the horrible beast that is JEDWARD. Now there ya go if everyone wants to post silly things about the public sector i will post the truth.......

glaston wrote: »
    Ikea Dublin is bursting at the seams with public sector workers who cant afford to take a pay cut!

and its bursting at the seems every other day when private sector workers are in there earning their vast fortunes from the boom :rolleyes:

i cant back up that claim just as much as you cant back up your silly claims

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

well at least the PS workers are contributing to the economy, taking a day off without pay and spending money.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

imme wrote: »
    well at least the PS workers are contributing to the economy, taking a day off without pay and spending money.:P

So they can afford to take unpaid leave and go shopping?
    Good for them.

What was the strike for again:confused:

glaston wrote: »
    So they can afford to take unpaid leave and go shopping?
    Good for them.

What was the strike for again:confused:

it was a comment using some humour, can you remember how to laugh??
    you cant take it serious now, can you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Of course this is public sector workers taking advantage of the day off, to go off and get some cheap shopping - To suggest anything else is just idiotic! But it just shows how fickle people are - crying about the money they are paid at the expense of the tax payer and then spending the money in the UK. I personally shop in the UK when I can, why get ripped off by shops with in some cases 70% mark-up but then again I am not a public sector worker.

Of course this is public sector workers taking advantage of the day off, to go off and get some cheap shopping - To suggest anything else is just idiotic! But it just shows how fickle people are - crying about the money they are paid at the expense of the tax payer and then spending the money in the UK. I personally shop in the UK when I can, why get ripped off by shops with in some cases 70% mark-up but then again I am not a public sector worker.

i agree, for heavens sake www.boards.ie has a Northern Ireland Bargain Forum :eek:

• Advertisement

Of course this is public sector workers taking advantage of the day off, to go off and get some cheap shopping - To suggest anything else is just idiotic!

so what you really mean is that it's idiotic to disagree with the general anti-public service agenda that you have

thanks for your contribution :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SouthEast

Mad Finn wrote: »
    Or alternatively you could read it as private sector people have to take a day out of their precious annual leave requirement in the middle of ****ing November to look after their kids because a bunch of pampered paedagogues who get two months holiday in the middle of the year feel they should be immune to the economic downturn.

Not all public sector workers get 2 months off. Also, I can see why you are so annoyed at having to take a day off to mind your own child, I mean its not like you had the child or anything!!! Lets face it the country ows you free babysitting.

If your unhappy with your holidays, do the HDip and you too can get the great holidays you seem to be so bothered about. Oh that's right, you would need to have qualifications to do that.... Dont you just love begrudgers.

Public Sector workers dont mind taking a pay cut, but the responsibility must be shared by all in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SouthEast

SouthEast wrote: »
    Not all public sector workers get 2 months off. Also, I can see why you are so annoyed at having to take a day off to mind your own child, I mean its not like you had the child or anything!!! Lets face it the country ows you free babysitting.

If your unhappy with your holidays, do the HDip and you too can get the great holidays you seem to be so bothered about. Oh that's right, you would need to have qualifications to do that.... Dont you just love begrudgers.

Public Sector workers dont mind taking a pay cut, but the responsibility must be shared by all in the country.[/quote

SouthEast wrote: »
    Public Sector workers dont mind taking a pay cut, but the responsibility must be shared by all in the country.

I personally resent giving up 1 cent of my salary so long as our idiotic politicians (from ALL parties) continue to pay themselves ridiculously high salaries and enjoy their unvouched expenses scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imom922

spotdedog wrote: »
    The public sector are planning to rejoin the commonwealth, i have seen a memo from Capt Jack o'Connor mbe. It contains sensitive material as to the complete disassembly of the Irish infrastructure by the public sector and then in our darkest hour the brave brave British who we all know fed educated and house trained all our forefathers will honourably step in and save the day, in return they look for one thing and one thing only, they are requesting we exile JEDWARD to achill. The current rain and high tides will keep the Island cut off from the mainland and with the public sector under British control, all power and tele will be but a distant memory to the poor islanders who bravely took one for the team by staying on the island to be the gate keepers to the horrible beast that is JEDWARD. Now there ya go if everyone wants to post silly things about the public sector i will post the truth.......

People if this is true we are all missing the bigger picture here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

I dunno quarter of a million public sector staff off today. M1 is jammed and Newry thinks its Christmas! A 5 year old with basic math skills would come to the same conclusion!

"the general anti-public service agenda that you have"

I think you just do not like the facts!

But then again if I was you I would not like it either, still would not make me wrong!

can you show us these facts?

But then again if I was you I would not like it either, still would not make me wrong!

Maybe if you posted a fact and not some speculation, we could have a meaningful discussion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

imme wrote: »

Unfortunately many of them are contributing to the UK economy, therefore depriving this state of much needed income and so will lead to further cuts in public sector pay...

• Advertisement

skearon wrote: »
    Unfortunately many of them are contributing to the UK economy, therefore depriving this state of much needed income and so will lead to further cuts in public sector pay...

in exactly the same way that many private sector workers are contributing to the UK economy, therefore depriving this state of much needed income and so will lead to further cuts in public sector pay.

Advertisement