Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Action Shopping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

skearon wrote: »
    Unfortunately many of them are contributing to the UK economy, therefore depriving this state of much needed income and so will lead to further cuts in public sector pay...

There are many threads on the issue of shopping in the six counties on the other 364 days of the year, it isn't just the public sector that are doing it. See here for more examples.

kceire wrote: »
    in exactly the same way that many private sector workers are contributing to the UK economy, therefore depriving this state of much needed income and so will lead to further cuts in public sector pay.

we're like a double act here :D

must be a union-orchestrated conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

LOL OK you all belong on the bench at OJ's trial, you do not want to see what is clearly abvious!

So you do not think the influx of people to Newry today or why the M1 was jammed had anything to do with Public sector workers taking advantage of today? Tne Unions have came out and said it is embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

in exactly the same way that many private sector workers are contributing to the UK economy, therefore depriving this state of much needed income and so will lead to further cuts in public sector pay.

Of course the loss of €850m per annum is having serious consequences on everyone's pay and jobs, however it is ironic that droves of public sector workers are heading out shopping, when the propeganda from the unions is that they can barely afford a litre of milk following the pension levy.

Not the point I am making - Take advantage of what you can, but to do it on a day where you are protesting that you are getting hard done by from the Government is laughable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LOL OK you all belong on the bench at OJ's trial, you do not want to see what is clearly abvious!

So you do not think the influx of people to Newry today or why the M1 was jammed had anything to do with Public sector workers taking advantage of today? Tne Unions have came out and said it is embarrassing!

newry is busy everyday!
    what about the private sector workers that have the day off with their kids going up to newry......do they not contribute to the traffic at all????

the que into newry is made up of public and private and unemplyed irish people.

I just asked for some evidence, that's all. Maybe you haven't read some of the posts above that have alternative suggestions as to why there were a large amount of cars heading towards Newry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Not the point I am making - Take advantage of what you can, but to do it on a day where you are protesting that you are getting hard done by from the Government is laughable!

+1

its just comical the attitude, lets go on strike for a day cause we cant afford to take a pay cut....wahoo we've a day off lets go shopping!!!!icon8.gif

skearon wrote: »
    Of course the loss of €850m per annum is having serious consequences on everyone's pay and jobs, however it is ironic that droves of public & private sector workers are heading out shopping.

fixed that for you ;)

bamboozle wrote: »
    +1

its just comical the attitude, lets go on strike for a day cause we cant afford to take a pay cut....wahoo we've a day off lets go shopping!!!!icon8.gif

can you explain the influx of irish shoppers up north every other day of the week???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

From BreakingNews, they mustn't have had enough of time shopping today or maybe their cars were jammed with goodies:

24/11/2009 - 16:18:54
    Public-sector workers will stage a second nationwide strike on December 3, it has been confirmed.

The action will go ahead if renewed talks with the Government on plans to cut the public pay bill by €1.3bn fail to produce an agreement, unions have said.

More on this as we get it.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-nationwide-strike-confirmed-for-december-3-435640.html#ixzz0XnOAabAb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 imom922

Has to be said for all the F**ked up things we can blame cowan for he has worked master stroke on this Public V Private. Remember it was the bankers/builders private sector + government planning/city councillors public sector. That got us into this mess and can anyone tell me who has ben held accountable for this, anybody in jail any FAS board members get jail NO not one. So bankers and the government f**ked up and now its ordinary workers both private and public who are at each others throats. And as usual all the big wigs get off scott free. A social revoulution is what is needed the salaries of all top public/private sector should be at least halved and then we start looking at ordinary workers monies.

That again is not really an argument, how many private sector workers had to take today off? I reckon you would be luckey if it is 10% of the number of Public sector workers! The huge number that went to Newry today I think its safe to say was made up of mostly Public sector workers. I do not think you can dispute that. Private sector workers where not on stike today.

From BreakingNews, they mustn't have had enough of time shopping today or maybe their cars were jammed with goodies:

but us public servants get 400 days paid leave every year to go shopping on :confused:

That again is not really an argument, how many private sector workers had to take today off? I reckon you would be luckey if it is 10% of the number of Public sector workers! The huge number that went to Newry today I think its safe to say was made up of mostly Public sector workers. I do not think you can dispute that. Private sector workers where not on stike today.

again, can you back it up.............NO.
    what about all the thousands of kids off school today......were they at home alone??? i personally know 3 girls that had to take the day off work to mind theirs and thus 2 of them are up in newry shopping. private sector workers were not on strike but alot took annual leave and thus had the day off.

i drove throught own today and there wasnt a car on the road, private or public! no school run traffic etc it was great, i got from finglas to to ranleagh (sp) in just under 15 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Absurdum wrote: »
    but us public servants get 400 days paid leave every year to go shopping on :confused:
    Nope...just a day at Christmas...(I kid you not folks!).

fixed that for you ;)

can you explain the influx of irish shoppers up north every other day of the week???

of course i can, goods are much cheaper up North. That's why so many Public Service workers have gone there shopping today!:D

I agree that is was a collaboration of Public and Private sector bodies that got us in the mess!

But we no longer have the cash!!
    Look at the pay cuts and job losses in the Private sector - In the private sector if you ain't making money it's not long before you are out of business.

On 2fm today a school teacher was on talking about he earns 54K a year but if there are more levy's and a cut on Public sector cash how does he pay his inflated mortgage? What I say to him is tuff! Go down to the dole queue and tell everyone that is out of work you sad story!

I also agree its more the people at the top end of the Public sector scale that are taking everyone else for a ride!!!

Pubic sector is fighting the tide - You cannot take something from nothing!

of course i can, goods are much cheaper up North. That's why so many Public Service & Private Sector workers have gone there shopping today!:D

at least we agree on something ^^^^^^

of course i can, goods are much cheaper up North. That's why so many Public Service workers have gone there shopping today!:D

so the traffic on the other six days of the week is caused by those private sector fat cats right? :P

"what about all the thousands of kids off school today"

I am not sure too many school kids are driving many cars these days. It was reported that the M1 was jammed.

Of course a % of todays shoppers would have been private sector workers.

But what do you think that % was kceire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

On the bright side, any businesses which do survive this XMAS, will no longer be on the rip off republic vibe.

A small silver lining I guess.

"what about all the thousands of kids off school today"

I am not sure too many school kids are driving many cars these days. It was reported that the M1 was jammed.

Of course a % of todays shoppers would have been private sector workers.

But what do you think that % was kceire?

dont know what your trying to achieve by stating thee obvious about kids not driving cars....isint that a given???

i wouldnt have a clue about the % as i didnt stand and ask everybody on the M1, just like you didnt. you heard something on the news and made a chinease whisper of it!

i personnally know 7 people that travelled up north today to do shopping -
    my sis in law, her mother and aunt (Enniskillen)- all unemployed availing of the cheaper grocery shopping.

2 girl (friends) and their 2 childern (newry) - kids off scholl, so they had to take the day off their private sector jobs and went up shopping.

so i would imagine its a good mix of private, public and unemployed people up north today.

Absurdum wrote: »
    so the traffic on the other six days of the week is caused by those private sector fat cats right? :P

ah the private sector fat-cats?

would these be the same fat cats who made their money on the back of successive Fianna Fail led Government tax breaks, grants and incentives designed to create a property boom, or the fat cat bankers who benefitted from large bonuses as the banks made obscene profits as the Dept of Finance, Central Bank and Financial Regulator stood idly by failing to adequately regulate the financial markets in Ireland.

"so i would imagine its a good mix of private, public and unemployed people up north today."

Not going to argue this point anymore, you do not want to accpet that 250,000 public sector employee off today has anything to do with the droves of cars heading to Newry today. You want to blame it on school kids and the umeployeed, you want to be that blinkered thats up to you! Can I prove it no, can I prove that a space-ship did not land with 250,000 aliens? NO. On the weekend i would say the ratio is more of a mix but not today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

2 girl (friends) and their 2 childern (newry) - kids off scholl, so they had to take the day off their private sector jobs and went up shopping.

Yeah a large portion of the republic shoppers up north are probably private sector workers forced to take a holiday due to the greed of striking public sector workers.

ah the private sector fat-cats?

would these be the same fat cats who made their money on the back of successive Fianna Fail led Government tax breaks, grants and incentives designed to create a property boom, or the fat cat bankers who benefitted from large bonuses as the banks made obscene profits as the Dept of Finance, Central Bank and Financial Regulator stood idly by failing to adequately regulate the financial markets in Ireland.

that's the one, now let's not go after the ones who really got us into this, we have a public Vs private civil war to keep us occupied here!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dont know what your trying to achieve by stating thee obvious about kids not driving cars....isint that a given???

i wouldnt have a clue about the % as i didnt stand and ask everybody on the M1, just like you didnt. you heard something on the news and made a chinease whisper of it!

my sis in law, her mother and aunt (Enniskillen)- all unemployed availing of the cheaper grocery shopping.

so i would imagine its a good mix of private, public and unemployed people up north today.

Both had to take the day off :confused::confused:

you are missing the point. Public sector strike, some public sector workers go shopping up north. some private sector workers take a days annual leave off to mind their kids due to inconvenience of strike. some of these go shopping.
    bottom line, due to public sector strike, there are increased numbers of shoppers up north today.

"so i would imagine its a good mix of private, public and unemployed people up north today."

Not going to argue this point anymore, you do not want to accpet that 250,000 public sector employee off today has anything to do with the droves of cars heading to Newry today. You want to blame it on school kids and the umeployeed, you want to be that blinkered thats up to you! Can I prove it no, can I prove that a space-ship did not land with 250,000 aliens? NO. On the weekend i would say the ratio is more of a mix but not today.

If you aren't willing to listen to a logical argument or have the courtesy to use the quote function, then there really is not point arguing with you.

• Advertisement

no point argueing, we both cant back up our claims. your assuming PS people went up north.

Advertisement