Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Action Shopping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

bamboozle wrote: »
    bottom line, due to public sector strike, there are increased numbers of shoppers up north today.

technically yes, but I still think it's more likely to be because people were expecting traffic to be lighter than on a weekend

I drove from Dublin to Dundalk and back today, traffic on the M1 didn't appear to be heavier than any other weekday. If certain radio shows want to make a big deal out of a traffic jam between the two largest cities on the island, coincidentally where there are also major roadworks going on, then that's their perorogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Not sure if posted befor bet:
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/striking-workers-give-shops-a-boost-1952410.html

Nearby at the Quays shopping complex, manager Cathal Austin said
    "It is noticeably busier in the mall, the car park is noticeably busier," he said. "I would describe it as similar to a busy Saturday or a busy bank holiday. It's unusual for a Tuesday but nothing we wouldn't see on a public or school holiday in the south."

Apip99 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/striking-workers-give-shops-a-boost-1952410.html

"It is noticeably busier in the mall, the car park is noticeably busier," he said. "I would describe it as similar to a busy Saturday or a busy bank holiday. It's unusual for a Tuesday but nothing we wouldn't see on a public or school holiday in the south."

there you have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

OK regardless of who went up North is still looks bad!

We will see what happens on the 3rd of December - Probably another good day in Newry! I should get me a stall set up for the 3rd of December in Newry I will make a killing!

Absurdum wrote: »
    there you have it

Have what? In gerneral people in the private sector tend to take similar holidays as the public school holidays - Today there was not enough noitce for Private sector worker to take this day off voluntry!

• Advertisement

Have what? In gerneral people in the private sector tend to take similar holidays as the public school holidays - Today there was not enough noitce for Private sector worker to take this day off voluntry!

There was plenty of notice (see this thread for example) for those in private sector employment. Then you have the unemployed and public sector who had to take the day off. I really don't see what you are trying to get at here.

There was plenty of notice (see this thread for example) for those in private sector employment. Then you have the unemployed and public sector who had to take the day off. I really don't see what you are trying to get at here.

What I am getting at is the excuses that are being used to try and explain the number of todays shoppers to the north.

I mentioned facts before this is the facts we have.

250,000 Public sector employees not working today.
    Shopping in the North was busy - like a weekend or bank holiday, M1 was busy - a large number of shoppers from the south.

Thats it. (You seem to want to suggest everything else before linking the two)

How many private sector workers had to take time off today?

I was only told on Tuesday I am not needed on Friday - Thats not a lot of notice!

What I am getting at is the excuses that are being used to try and explain the number of todays shoppers to the north.

I mentioned facts before this is the facts we have.

250,000 Public sector employees not working today.
    Shopping in the North was busy - like a weekend or bank holiday, M1 was busy - a large number of shoppers from the south.

Read this post again please:
    Apip99 wrote: »

To all intents and purposes, today was a school holiday. Which would tally with what the manager of the shopping complex said. I don't know what part of that you don't understand. I have also pointed out that Newry is a bottleneck on the main route between the two largest cities on this island - heavy traffic isn't unusual there at anytime of the week.

Thats it. (You seem to want to suggest everything else before linking the two)

On the contrary, I agreed with Bamboozle's point earlier that an apparent increase in traffic to the north was a knock-on effect of today's strike.

How many private sector workers had to take time off today?

I would imagine that quite a few of them did, mainly as a result of schools being closed.
    I was only told on Tuesday I am not needed on Friday - Thats not a lot of notice!

What has Friday got to do with anything? It has been common knowledge for at least two weeks that schools would be closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

It does not really matter whether the crowds heading north to enrich the UK economy are from the public or private sector. The reality is that this bonus for Newry is a direct result of the Public Sector strike . The crowds are either comprised of strikers or of normal workers forced to take a day off & lose a day's pay because of the actions of the strikers

This represents further damage to our already crippled economy by the most protected sector of society. By their actions, the Public Sector Unions clearly demonstrate their indifference towards those less well off .

This strike exposes the hypocracy of the public sector unions who have historically pretended to care but in reality were simply using the plight of patients, of pupils, and of social welfare recipients etc., to feather their own nests!

It does not really matter whether the crowds heading north to enrich the UK economy are from the public or private sector. The reality is that this bonus for Newry is a direct result of the Public Sector strike . The crowds are either comprised of strikers or of normal workers forced to take a day off & lose a day's pay because of the actions of the strikers
    or they would have waited until Saturday :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i wouldnt mind as much if the shopping was done here. Its a double whammy to strike and then send your money out of our economy, thats also effecting irish jobs.

I know that its cheaper up north, but how much do you have to be spending before it becomes worthwhile?

morally and financially?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind as much if the shopping was done here. Its a double whammy to strike and then send your money out of our economy, thats also effecting irish jobs.

I know that its cheaper up north, but how much do you have to be spending before it becomes worthwhile?

morally and financially?

tell that to the drones that go up every single day!
    tell that to the government who still class motorcycle helmets as a luxury item and tax and vat them accordinaly, when i can save 150e on a single helmet by travelling one hour up the motorway.
    tell that to the government that taxes significantly safety items on cars such as Xenon lights, adoptavive lights, heads up displays, lane departure warning systems, these are all available on BMW's at present but the VRT on them makes them impossible for consumers to order because of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 wicklowmale

The government are not taking in the taxes to pay for the PS and other services which the government supply to keep the country going. The Public sector go on strike demanding to be treated specially, while on strike people go up north ( Public and Private sector) and pay their hard earned money to the UK government.

I find this so Hypocritical.

People are still willing to go up north and pay other country taxes while they striking on pay cuts as the government is unable to keep paying the payroll bill as there are not enough taxes coming in, but ppl are willing to go north and pay uk taxes.

I also heard today that some teachers outside schools striked until 10AM and then disappeared. lol

Surely this must be an embarressement for the union leaders and union members, personally i would be mad if my colleagues went off shopping while i was protesting for them.

Don't be stupid and say there were no public sector employees up north, it was on the news, it was private sector ppl too, but there was no mass demonstration like the last one, where were all the public sector ppl in dublin city?

Can a public sector person truthfully tell us that he/she earns less the 30K (take home) a month including bonuses and expenses?

Can a public sector person truthfully tell us that he/she earns less the 30K (take home) a month including bonuses and expenses?

Even Brian Cowen takes home less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

On 2fm today a school teacher was on talking about he earns 54K a year but if there are more levy's and a cut on Public sector cash how does he pay his inflated mortgage? What I say to him is tuff! Go down to the dole queue and tell everyone that is out of work you sad story!

I agree with this...
    I'm expecting to see a graded reduction in public salaries (2%-7%), a little for the lower paid and more for the higher paid...
    Anyone who doesn't like this can always resign their "impossible" positions...
    It would suit the country if they did, there are always loads of qualified folks ready to step into jobs at marginally lower pay rates and they can be hired on more reasonable conditions of pensions & expenses.. win-win.

Today was a success for us... We went to Newry (have done for past 6 years). It was quieter than I expected, RTE had to stand round for 2 hours for lunchtime rush to get it looking busy for filming.

Got home and my social welfare cheque was on the doormat ;)

smell of troll off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

I also heard today that some teachers outside schools striked until 10AM and then disappeared. lol

Apparently teachers in a certain school near where I live were only spending 15 minutes each on the picket line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

OK regardless of who went up North is still looks bad!

We will see what happens on the 3rd of December - Probably another good day in Newry! I should get me a stall set up for the 3rd of December in Newry I will make a killing!
    I think you're wasting your time debating with people who are claiming black is white. Of course the traffic jams to Newry today were mostly caused by public servants.

Today was a PR disaster for the unions. Anyone I've talked to was laughing about the queues heading to Newry, not the strike itself. The unions should have predicted this and made some attempt to stop it, as it is it makes the public sector look like unpatriotic whingers while those in the private sector suffer unemployment and drastic pay cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 wicklowmale

Obviously in my previous reply i meant 30K a yr! Still awaiting a reply.......;)

Still it has proved to be a disaster for the unions, yes they all need to sit down and talk this out but the reality of the situation is;

1) PS payroll yearly bill is too high
    2) Too much admin staff in certain departments
    3) Too few staff in other areas (Garda, Teachers, Nurses)
    4) Pension's need to be set to a realistic level
    5) Get rid of job security (they will have to prove they are up to the job as private sector employee have to)

The ordinary person is furious at the narrow minds of the public sector and this is only going to get worse if things don't change.

I know and understand people may be in financial trouble if cuts happen but the people in the private sector are there now, stop creating a split in society and help out!

Its your choice! (in all the posts i have read i have not heard come across a genuine reason for the public sector to get special treatment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

smell of troll off ya
    No.. just entitled to an opinion
    I've been private sector worker all along and OH in the public sector so I see thnigs from both sides.. I think the shopping thing today was overdone, RTE went to Newry looking for a story and made sure it was there for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

bad2dabone wrote: »

Surprisingly little. Take a look at the Argos catalogues north and south for a good example. Saved €30 on a pair of boots today (£65 vs €95).
    People are still willing to go up north and pay other country taxes while they striking on pay cuts as the government is unable to keep paying the payroll bill as there are not enough taxes coming in, but ppl are willing to go north and pay uk taxes.

ASTI only on strike until 10:30, TUI on all day, INTO went to central locations.

How is it hypocritical that people who have taken a paycut choose to shop where it's cheaper?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

deemark wrote: »
    Surprisingly little. Take a look at the Argos catalogues north and south for a good example. Saved €30 on a pair of boots today (£65 vs €95).

ASTI only on strike until 10:30, TUI on all day, INTO went to central locations.

How is it hypocritical that people who have taken a paycut choose to shop where it's cheaper?:rolleyes:

I don't hold it against anyone going north to spend their hard earned these days, i just think that - thanks to our governments policies - the fact that people are going north is going to bite us in the ass later down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

It was a badly timed protest to be honest, but public support is at an all time low anyway, so the christmas shopping thing was going to be latched on to big time.

In other news the government announced 12 million euro humanitarian aid for the flood. Im not sure what that will get anybody, a free cup of soup down the parish hall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Not all public sector workers work in Dublin or its environs...there are other counties outside of the pale and I would be fairly sure that this is just another attempt at media scaremongering on behalf of government spin doctors. Next thing the puplic sector workers in Ireland will be blamed for the recent floods :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Not all public sector workers work in Dublin or its environs...there are other counties outside of the pale and I would be fairly sure that this is just another attempt at media scaremongering on behalf of government spin doctors. Next thing the puplic sector workers in Ireland will be blamed for the recent floods :eek:

Half the country is within an hours journey of the North for shopping. The strike was a serious own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

spotdedog wrote: »
    The public sector are planning to rejoin the commonwealth, i have seen a memo from Capt Jack o'Connor mbe. It contains sensitive material as to the complete disassembly of the Irish infrastructure by the public sector and then in our darkest hour the brave brave British who we all know fed educated and house trained all our forefathers will honourably step in and save the day, in return they look for one thing and one thing only, they are requesting we exile JEDWARD to achill. The current rain and high tides will keep the Island cut off from the mainland and with the public sector under British control, all power and tele will be but a distant memory to the poor islanders who bravely took one for the team by staying on the island to be the gate keepers to the horrible beast that is JEDWARD. Now there ya go if everyone wants to post silly things about the public sector i will post the truth.......
    Jordan has corageously put forward her name as the cook/housekeeper at least until she gets bored or the ratings get so low it isnt worth her while, Louis Walsh has generously agreed to ferry everyone back and fourth from the island on his yaught , Unfortunately the only radio available on the island only transmits Terry Wogan all day ,ahhh bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sure why not go shopping,theres no real necessity to provide services to ensure the country is in any way productive is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

glaston wrote: »
    Ikea Dublin is bursting at the seams with public sector workers who cant afford to take a pay cut!

Was everyone shopping in Ikea asked whether or not they were public sector workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Was everyone shopping in Ikea asked whether or not they were public sector workers?
    lol, they would have been on a money spinner if they offered a 5% discount to PS workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

ghost_ie wrote: »

lots of people in the private sector had to take a day off to look after their kids. Seeing as they were off anyway and christmas is coming, it's just as likely that people shopping in the north today were people from the private sector.

Advertisement