Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Action Shopping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

lots of people in the private sector had to take a day off to look after their kids. Seeing as they were off anyway and christmas is coming, it's just as likely that people shopping in the north today were people from the private sector.

Quite likely indeed. Obvious conclusions may be obvious, but they're not necessarily conclusions.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

lmimmfn wrote: »
    lol, they would have been on a money spinner if they offered a 5% discount to PS workers.

How do you know this? Were people asked whether or not they were PS workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ghost_ie wrote: »
    why are you so defensive?, i was joking

why are you so defensive?, i was joking

Not defensive, just curious. Sorry - I didn't realise you were joking. Insomnia leaves one with a diminished sense of humour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Not defensive, just curious. Sorry - I didn't realise you were joking. Insomnia leaves one with a diminished sense of humour :)

Depends how regular it is! Swine flu, now...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lol, no worries, i just thought it would be funny if it happened is all :), only ever had insomnia doing computer science exams, off topic but i use to get paralysed and see this freaky crap( half asleep/half awake ), Lol, seriously, luckily ive not ever had it since, its damn horrible.

lol, no worries, i just thought it would be funny if it happened is all :), only ever had insomnia doing computer science exams, off topic but i use to get paralysed and see this freaky crap( half asleep/half awake ), Lol, seriously, luckily ive not ever had it since, its damn horrible.

lol...think yourself lucky. Computer science exams would drive most people to lunacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1125/1224259395216.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

Spent the day on the picket in Galway and have to say 70% of the people that walked past us told us to keep up the fight and a lot said I hope yea take this Government down.
    Also the people that passed in car loads of them beeped at us
    Once again the media have fooled the Irish people with the lies that the public sector went shopping for the day
    Did the media put people on border crossing and ask the people what they worked at??????????
    From yesterday strike it can be seen that the public sector will no longer take the bashing and this bashing will make things a lot worse for the Irish people. So if the private sector wants to blame somebody blame the Irish media for creating a public sector V private sector divide and putting a spin on it that we went shopping

bamboozle wrote: »
    traffic & numbers shopping spike on the same day we have public service strikes....i dont think you need to be a genius to figure out whats accounting for the increases
    O my god
    What can u say about this but all the school kids must have being home alone while mammy and daddy went to work in the private sector
    Will we see the following headline in papers soon?
    “Children put at risk as hard pressed private sector workers had to go to work and leave kids home alone as public sector strike"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

seangal wrote:
    So if the private sector wants to blame somebody blame the Irish media for creating a public sector V private sector divide and putting a spin on it that we went shopping
    Yes, a cynical, blatant and successful attempt by the media to wind people up even more than they were already. Where's their evidence that public servants went shopping in NI? And if some did go north then it's not even a story, it's not as if those on strike were being paid for the day.

I wonder how many who are whinging about the "day of shopping" have ever received a state benefit and themselves have shopped in the north or from an online retailer based outside of the country? Hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

lots of people in the private sector had to take a day off to look after their kids. Seeing as they were off anyway and christmas is coming, it's just as likely that people shopping in the north today were people from the private sector.

Rubbish. We know from reports of 5 mile tailbacks at border towns ( from the Republic ) that a huge amount of extra people went to the North yesterday shopping, compared to a normal Tuesday. There was a reporter on one of the radio stations who said she stood at a traffic lights there and counted 91 out of 100 southern reg cars as having no children occupants. Why did so many adults go shopping up North compared to a normal Tuesday ? As someone else said, its not enough they are paid 48% more per hour, that they have more sick days and holidays, a much better pension, better job security, but they have the neck to go on strike and spend the tax the rest of us collect and pay to them, outside the country , to another tax regime ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I disagree with the strike that took place yesterday - it was a disgrace. However to say that all the people who went to Newry yesterday would be, in my view, an unbalanced view. Lots of people had to take the day off to look after kids etc...

The real story here shouldn't be looking at who went to Newry but WHY they went to Newry. Surely the issue here is that its cheaper to purchase in the North and people are going North at every opportunity. The government shouldn't be looking so much at the strike but why people are heading north. Stop the people moving by cutting the cost of business and DEMAND that business's follow suit.

bridgitt wrote: »
    Rubbish. We know from reports of 5 mile tailbacks at border towns ( from the Republic ) that a huge amount of extra people went to the North yesterday shopping, compared to a normal Tuesday. There was a reporter on one of the radio stations who said she stood at a traffic lights there and counted 91 out of 100 southern reg cars as having no children occupants. Why did so many adults go shopping up North compared to a normal Tuesday ? As someone else said, its not enough they are paid 48% more per hour, that they have more sick days and holidays, a much better pension, better job security, but they have the neck to go on strike and spend the tax the rest of us collect and pay to them, outside the country , to another tax regime ?
    Prove there were public sector now or shut up
    I work with 900 public sectors we were all on a picket rota and most turned up
    That tailback was by private sector worker who had to mind there kids ect so before you talk this bull go a get a figure for the number of private sector workers that had to take the day off
    You are Insulting yourself by believing the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

seangal wrote: »
    Spent the day on the picket in Galway and have to say 70% of the people that walked past us told us to keep up the fight and a lot said I hope yea take this Government down.
    Once again the media have fooled the Irish people with the lies that the public sector went shopping for the day
    Did the media put people on border crossing and ask the people what they worked at??????????
    From yesterday strike it can be seen that the public sector will no longer take the bashing and this bashing will make things a lot worse for the Irish people. So if the private sector wants to blame somebody blame the Irish media for creating a public sector V private sector divide and putting a spin on it that we went shopping

I'm seeing double, why post the exact same post on 2 different threads? It won't make your point any better.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63181859&postcount=100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i think all the indications that yesterday's increased numbers of shoppers up North was due to the strike, as parents were forced to take the day off work and went up shopping as i'm sure did many of the strikers. Failing to accept this is just being myopic.

Can you please explain what bashing you are talking about? our government reducing the wages & pension provisions of public sector workers as state revenue has collapsed in the last 18 months is hardly bashing it is necessary, when you consider that compared to their conterparts in the private sector and in public sectors in other EU countries the salaries & pensions of our public sector workers are very attractive i dont see how you feel you should be immune to these beind addressed.

finally you seem pretty clear that 70% of the public you encountered while striking were supportive, what facts can you provide to back this up, did u ask them to complete forms and sign? you attack other posters who dare suggest that strikers went shopping, telling them to 'prove it or shut up' i suggest you follow your own advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tigerlilyblue

In the Independent today the headline stated that teachers took the day to shop up North. This annoys me so much!!

Not only do they assume that everyone up there is a public service worker with NO evidence but yet again they single out the teachers?! I am so tired of the attitude of the media and public towards teachers. It really disheartens me.

I can only speak from my own experience of the day (not guesses or assumptions) which are:

1) Everyone from my school attended the strikes and did NOT go shopping up North.

2) A parent told me today that the carpark in Newry yesterday was like the school car park. They met countless parents from our school with their kids shopping in Newry.

So yes I'm willing to say that it is quite likely that SOME public service workers went up North to shop (although there is no evidence of this) but as was confirmed by a parent many private sector workers headed up North with their kids for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Will there be a witchunt at the weekend about the amount of cars heading north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Carlsberg don't make ridicilous posts, but if they did.............

The influx of shoppers in the North is directly related to yesterdays strike. However to suggest that the majority were PS is absolutely insane. It's amazing how some people can believe everything in the media without as much as a teeny weeny bit of fact.

Can I take it from some of the posts above that PS cannot now take foreign holidays? Or buy something on ebay from the UK or further? Or buy a jersey of a premiership team?

Can I take it that you Private Sector workers live your lives like that to save our economy? I'm guessing that you don't. So don't start taking the high moral ground with what a ps workers does with his/her money.

I'm spend my meagre PS wage wherever and whenever I like and I don't need any begrudgers telling me where I can and can't spend it.

hawker wrote: »
    Carlsberg don't make ridicilous posts, but if they did.............

The influx of shoppers in the North is directly related to yesterdays strike. However to suggest that the majority were PS is absolutely insane. It's amazing how some people can believe everything in the media without as much as a teeny weeny bit of fact.

Can I take it from some of the posts above that PS cannot now take foreign holidays? Or buy something on ebay from the UK or further? Or buy a jersey of a premiership team?

Can I take it that you Private Sector workers live your lives like that to save our economy? I'm guessing that you don't. So don't start taking the high moral ground with what a ps workers does with his/her money.

I'm spend my meagre PS wage wherever and whenever I like and I don't need any begrudgers telling me where I can and can't spend it.

is the irony of huge numbers of shoppers flooding into Newry on the day our public sector go on strike most of whom claiming any further cuts to their income would be devastating lost on you???

sure go on holidays, buy a premiership jersey but dont go holding this country to ransom at a time its borrowing 400 million euro a week and then head off shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Its ridiculous get back to work! Acting like overpaid underworked spoilt children. I passed the pickets yesterday and they make me physically sick.

Oh and my other half mother is a teacher at national level and she was in Newry so there's another 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Smcgie wrote: »
    I passed the pickets yesterday and they make me physically sick.

Were you hallucinating?

Yes it was all public sector that went shopping up north it had to be as all the private sector went to work and left there kids home alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

bamboozle wrote: »
    is the irony of huge numbers of shoppers flooding into Newry on the day our public sector go on strike most of whom claiming any further cuts to their income would be devastating lost on you???

sure go on holidays, buy a premiership jersey but dont go holding this country to ransom at a time its borrowing 400 million euro a week and then head off shopping.

So it's ok for you to deduct that the majority of the shopper up North yesterday were PS workers without one scrap of actual proof, yet when someone else suggests that 70% of the public supported the strike you have the audactiy to ask for facts and figures.

Fantastic debating.

hawker wrote: »
    So it's ok for you to deduct that the majority of the shopper up North yesterday were PS workers without one scrap of actual proof, yet when someone else suggests that 70% of the public supported the strike you have the audactiy to ask for facts and figures.

Fantastic debating.

Hawker, if you read my post above you would see i was not deducting the majority of shoppers up North yesterday were PS workers, i was stating that the increased numbers of shoppers was due to the strike - there is a difference, this comment was aimed at one of the narrow minded people who seemed unable to accept this without clear proof. However the same individual himself then stated that 70% of the public he encountered while striking were supportive but failed to provide any proof for this. My comment merely pointed out the hypocrisy in his post and suggested he follow his own advise he gave other posters to 'prove it or shut up'

here's my post again...

i think all the indications that yesterday's increased numbers of shoppers up North was due to the strike, as parents were forced to take the day off work and went up shopping as i'm sure did many of the strikers. Failing to accept this is just being myopic.

Can you please explain what bashing you are talking about? our government reducing the wages & pension provisions of public sector workers as state revenue has collapsed in the last 18 months is hardly bashing it is necessary, when you consider that compared to their conterparts in the private sector and in public sectors in other EU countries the salaries & pensions of our public sector workers are very attractive i dont see how you feel you should be immune to these being addressed.

finally you seem pretty clear that 70% of the public you encountered while striking were supportive, what facts can you provide to back this up, did u ask them to complete forms and sign? you attack other posters who dare suggest that strikers went shopping, telling them to 'prove it or shut up' i suggest you follow your own advise.

Yes it was all public sector that went shopping up north it had to be as all the private sector went to work and left there kids home alone
    There was a reporter on one of the radio stations who stood at the traffic lights at one of the queues in to a northern border town , and said that 91 of 100 southern registered cars she counted had not children in the car. Given the huge extra volume of cars heading north last Tuesday, compared to a normal Tuesday, it does indeed point to many public servants going north that day to fill their cars with cheap drink, electronics etc. Not only does the private sector here in this country pay the public sector much more than themselves, with better pensions , sick days, hours worked , security etc , but the public servants then spend their money straight in to another jurisdiction. No wonder our governments vat and tax receipts - all submitted by the private sector here to the Revenue - are down so many billions. As one public servant said the other day, those public servants who went on strike and shopped elsewhere when they are paid so much more than the private sector ( or the public sector elsewhere in Europe ) is adding insult to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There was a reporter on one of the radio stations who stood at the traffic lights at one of the queues in to a northern border town , and said that 91 of 100 southern registered cars she counted had not children in the car.

She also sold 30 copies of the Herald, so fair play to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

There was a reporter on one of the radio stations who stood at the traffic lights at one of the queues in to a northern border town , and said that 91 of 100 southern registered cars she counted had not children in the car. Given the huge extra volume of cars heading north last Tuesday, compared to a normal Tuesday, it does indeed point to many public servants going north that day to fill their cars with cheap drink, electronics etc. Not only does the private sector here in this country pay the public sector much more than themselves, with better pensions , sick days, hours worked , security etc , but the public servants then spend their money straight in to another jurisdiction. No wonder our governments vat and tax receipts - all submitted by the private sector here to the Revenue - are down so many billions. As one public servant said the other day, those public servants who went on strike and shopped elsewhere when they are paid so much more than the private sector ( or the public sector elsewhere in Europe ) is adding insult to injury.

Whats it like being bitter and a slave to media bias??

Who cares if the workers who were striking went up North shopping. They would of just gone on a saturday or sunday if they didnt strike. They would of been joined on those days by the thousands of private sector workers who do the same. It doesnt matter who pays your wages, once its paid its your money you can do what you like. I wonder how many of the patriots on this forum have taken foreign holidays in the last few years??? Quite a few I expect.

If your on strike and you have done your picketing duty or your not required to do it or you dont believe in the strike but wont pass a picket, What the hell else are you going to do for the day???

This is another non-story sensationalised by the right-wing media to further divide the country.

Where were all the patriots when the Nama legislation was brought into being, protesting?? No becasue that would require standing up for yourself instead of whinging from behind a computer screen.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    She also sold 30 copies of the Herald, so fair play to her.
    I doubt if there were any well spoken reporters selling the Herald on the 5 mile tailback in to Newry last Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I doubt if there were any well spoken reporters selling the Herald on the 5 mile tailback in to Newry last Tuesday morning.

About as likely as her having mystical powers to tell who is in a car and what they do for a living.

Advertisement