Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors Fees for house sale that fell through

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Is it common practice for solicitors to charge 50% of costs for house deal that fell through.

The house was at "Booking deposit" phase, with buyer stating he had land to sell, was coming into money etc ... but eventually sale fell through.

The house is still for sale, and solicitors have deeds, but they sent a bill for 900EUR covering half solicitors fee, postage VAT etc ...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I suppose he would be entitled to a certain % of fee's as he still would have opened a file in respect of the sale etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sounds reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

sounds rip off to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Sounds rip off ish!!!

I know someone who just got a house.. Solictor was just over 1000 all in and done!!!.... yours is 900 and you didnt even get a house!! EH?????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

neil_purdy wrote: »
    Sounds rip off ish!!!

I know someone who just got a house.. Solictor was just over 1000 all in and done!!!.... yours is 900 and you didnt even get a house!! EH?????

fees can vary depending on location and solictor....the OP should have shopped around more, this is the OP's only basic job as a consumer before paying for services or products.

I bought a house last year and didn't pay anywhere near 1000e :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

sounds rip off to me

I mean it sounds reasonable he should get 50%. Not that the fee is.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Thanks for replies Lads,

The house was at "sale agreed" , and holding deposit was paid, but buyer could not get mortgage approval in the end.

The shopping around query, it was never mentioned if deal failed that there would be a 50% payment on the deal.

The auctioneer said he has never heard of this before.

The solicitor is entitled to some monies, but I think 50% is excessive, particularly as this was not agreed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

are you selling or buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I think it's fair... the solicitor did do some work and should be paid for their services... would you work for nothing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The solicitor for seller has no outlays, searches etc , the contract he drew up is standard....if he drew it up. Ask to see it when you go in , immediately not a minute later . I bet it does not exist and was never drawn up.

Pay him €200+VAT for the bit he did which was take a phone call or two from you. Tell him you will see him in the Law Society rather than pay him another penny for work he never did and contracts that were never exchanged and queries from the purchased that were never sent or dealt with.

Chancer , most of them haven't been struck off yet you know :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

uberwolf wrote: »
    are you selling or buying?
    CamperMan wrote: »
    I think it's fair... the solicitor did do some work and should be paid for their services... would you work for nothing?
    largely what Sponge Bob above says. + any fee paid should be removed from the ultimate agreed fee, as very little would be duplicated for any ultimate sale

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Lads,

Thanks for the input, I was asking the question for the seller. Will get back when this is eventually sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I had to pull out of land purchase before and yes there were fees incurred, obvioulsy the solicitor does a large amount of work in the first stages, making sure all details are correct checking various registries etc so they would be entitled to half of their fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

I was buying a house a couple of years ago and it fell through the day I had to pick the keys up.

Solicitor asked me for all the money that was agreed but I refused to pay because the sale never went through and he then agreed with me that I shouldnt pay

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

groomek wrote: »
    ISolicitor asked me for all the money that was agreed but I refused to pay because the sale never went through and he then agreed with me that I should pay

Can you read that back to yourself as it makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

silly1 wrote: »
    Can you read that back to yourself as it makes no sense

Sorry,that should have said he agreed I shouldn't pay

Advertisement