Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second day of strike action planned for Thursday Dec 3rd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

How much will that save us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Nice little dig from the IT at the end...
    Meanwhile, the AA has reported six-kilometre tailbacks on the road to Newry this morning in a suspected surge of people travelling to Northern Ireland to shop during the strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

nesf wrote: »

Cause one day didn't make the point it seems.

Nah, it's because one trip up north wasn't enough to get all the chrimbo shopping in,they need one last trip before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nice little dig from the IT at the end...

It's not a dig if it's the truth.. Then it's just reporting the facts no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

nesf wrote: »
    It's not a dig if it's the truth.. Then it's just reporting the facts no?

The traffic jam is the facts. Trying to tie it into the strike is a dig.

• Advertisement

Pretty big coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Sure we (the private sector) should all pack up for a few days too so.. Pay cuts, Job loss, reduced hours.. We're exposed to it all.
    Only difference is, if I decide enough is enough, and strike off for the day, will I have a job in the morning? Eh.. Nope!!
    So far this yr my daughter missed a day in school because of the elections, though there's a perfectly good community hall in our area, they still held it in the bloody school. Now she has missed today due to strike, and now possibly next week? Its disgraceful!!

And dont the department of education have a quota of days per school year? So when are our children going to end up repaying these days? GGRrrrrrr:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So, if the estimates are to be believed, another 100 million cost to the economy next month as well.

That should help matters no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Jip wrote: »
    Pretty big coincidence though.

what that one midweek day when schools are closed that people decide to head up and shop.

marco_polo wrote: »
    So, if the estimates are to be believed, another 100 million cost to the economy next month as well.

That should help matters no end.

Well according to some placards I saw today the public sector thing we simple can just borrow it if we need it, no need to worry about how it gets paid back :confused:
    what that one midweek day when schools are closed that people decide to head up and shop.

What now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Fair play to them. Is this the only solution our highly paid government can come up with? Cut the pay of nurses? Clerical officers earning lss than 30k a year? I can't blame them. One thing that we could do is stop paying people who take sick days? How much would that save us? But then the unions would not agree to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

& were back to public sector vs private sector again.. Im neutral here but if my wages got hit by 25% no matter where I worked in the last 12 months I think I too would want to strike or do something.. remeber a lot of people did not want to strike but if they cross a picket they are ejected from their union.( Fact - they were notified in writing of this) Take the schools for example. Many smaller schools are split with their unions where some were striking some werent/ Who can open the school for those not striking? The principal cant - If they do they are ejected from their union. So the board of management chairperson must do it - provided they too are not a public sector working in a striking union. Coming up to christmas who wants to lose a days pay ? many parents had to take a days leave to accomodate their children being off school. Take it back to the times of December 8th holy day where many parents took a day off work as the children used to have no school. That day was always spent shopping somewhere. So why should today be any different for any parent who had to take a day off to mind their children? The media natually are going to headline the tailbacks to sensational the news on this black day & set everyone off again on the public vs private.
    & I personally take my hat off to anyone who would stand out in that weather for any reason today - Its vicious out there. I also wouldnt work on the frontline ( Gardai, teachers, Nurses, Doctors, Firefighters) for all the tea in china. These people provide us with a fine service its not their fault the "system" is so messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, what th IT said was people going to shop during the strike, it didn't say anything about whether it was those on strike or parents etc only that the strike was the cause of so many people having the day free to do things like this which is probably true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eiresurfer

Shoppers swarm across Border

"Many of the shoppers were public sector workers who were reluctant to be identified but said they were taking advantage of the strike to stock up on groceries and goods."

Need we say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Oh honestly - they're paralysing the country. It's enough to turn one into a rabid Thatcherite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 timmmy

I've never been on strike before and I wasn't really looking forward to being on strike today but it worked out grand. The weather stayed fine and it wasn't even cold. The spirit on the picket line was great and what really struck me was the level of support we got from passer-bys. From reading threads on here you'd be forgiven for thinking most people have been duped into believing this public sector - private sector divide nonsense. It was refreshing to see that is definitely not so. We were on a busy road and the waving and beeping was continuous. Quite glad now to hear we'll be doing it again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

timmmy wrote: »
    I've never been on strike before and I wasn't really looking forward to being on strike today but it worked out grand. The weather stayed fine and it wasn't even cold. The spirit on the picket line was great and what really struck me was the level of support we got from passer-bys. From reading threads on here you'd be forgiven for thinking most people have been duped into believing this public sector - private sector divide nonsense. It was refreshing to see that is definitely not so. We were on a busy road and the waving and beeping was continuous. Quite glad now to hear we'll be doing it again next week.
    Beeping may have been continuous as you noticed the cars beeping but Im guessing there was just as many if not more cars not beeping, surely that tells you something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I just want to say that I agree with just about everything you have just said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's already several threads on this, don't know why another union bashing thread was necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

We were on a busy road and the waving and beeping was continuous.
    I felt like beeping and waving (my fist), but not out of support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eiresurfer

Well obviously I didn't pass by, cos I would have hurled abuse at you. And of course you'll have your guaranteed job and pension tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

eiresurfer wrote: »
    Shoppers swarm across Border

"Many of the shoppers were public sector workers who were reluctant to be identified but said they were taking advantage of the strike to stock up on groceries and goods."

Need we say more?

lol people are acting like only public sector workers would do something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

eiresurfer wrote: »
    And of course you'll have your guaranteed job and pension tomorrow.

People know what the story is, it's not anyone's fault if they have a guaranteed job/pension

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

so it's only the public sector that are shopping up north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Typical unions. :rolleyes:

Sizzler wrote: »
    Beeping may have been continuous as you noticed the cars beeping but Im guessing there was just as many if not more cars not beeping, surely that tells you something?

It does. It tells me that you are preciously holding onto prejudices on the basis of a guess rather than actual, real experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

hope your not getting paid too strike,may save gov few quid

Sizzler wrote: »

they dont get out much too tell the difference:D

hope your not getting paid too strike,may save gov few quid

Do you have any conception of how this works? You don't get paid by your employer when on strike. It's a withdrawal of labour.
    they dont get out much too tell the difference:D

Ah now, that's not true. I do get out a fair bit. I've had to a lot more this year to try to make up what I lost with the pension and income levies.

• Advertisement

Do you have any conception of how this works? You don't get paid by your employer when on strike. It's a withdrawal of labour.

Ah now, that's not true. I do get out a fair bit. I've had to a lot more this year to try to make up what I lost with the pension and income levies.

ENJOY your strike on 3th dec :D

Advertisement