Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animated map of US growing unemployment

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html

Gathering cloud of doom?

Ironically those places that still show a bit of sunshine are in the redneck cowboy-zone. But then again i'd hazard a guess that many of those counties have a tiny population, and the those that become unemployed probably migrate to the population centres to try and find work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Saw this yesterday but never got around to posting about it. Far too distracted by the Shiny DeLorean Mod.

Anything with less than 2% unemployment Im betting have like, 20 people living in them, and they all work in the public sector.

Why is it Ironic that "Redneck" territory as you call it, is still doing well? Nevermind its most of the Agricultural sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Wow... when you get to Sep 2009, the map of the worst hit areas of unemployment looks a lot like the political maps from the 2008 presidential election for areas that voted for Obama. I guess you do reap what you sow. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Wow... when you get to Sep 2009, the map of the worst hit areas of unemployment looks a lot like the political maps from the 2008 presidential election for areas that voted for Obama. I guess you do reap what you sow. ;)

I guess it is true that you get what you deserve.

Not really: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/

Its fairly across the board. Again, this is a geographical issue and by direct correlation an economic one, not a political one. Ill bet my sac this is more to do with Agriculture and the like; and the collapse of the Services/3rd Level Industry (and also of the 2nd level manufacturing industries). Observe Colorado and the areas surrounding Denver and other major population centers in these mountain states versus the rural areas - Austin; Dallas; Houston; Lincoln; Omaha; Grand Junction; Spokane; etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

When you really look at it you can see that the typical Progressive states where the ones that were hit the worse. I guess when you want to blow billions on sea otter mating ritual research and other stupid programs like that you deserve to go bankrupt.

Again though Greybeard these election maps pitted against the Unemployment graphic only show ginormous swaths of Eastern GOP territory cut to ribbons by Unemployment. Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas... in fact Kentucky and Tennessee were bad well before the crash. Your argument only seems valid in Southern Texas and parts of New Mexico. But its hardly enough to call the unemployment rate based on voter turnout. Its ridiculous, even.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

This is also interesting:

octjobs.gif

Whats more worrying about that chart is the hundreds of billions spent just so (on paper) the government would save 2% unemployment, by their own precursor estimates (see Q3 2010).

I'd have eaten the 2% myself for the next 3 years and saved the country an extra trillion or so of extra debt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    When you really look at it you can see that the typical Progressive states where the ones that were hit the worse. I guess when you want to blow billions on sea otter mating ritual research and other stupid programs like that you deserve to go bankrupt.

You mean "progressive" states like Alaska, Mississippi and Tennasse...

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    But its hardly enough to call the unemployment rate based on voter turnout. Its ridiculous, even.
    Hey, Looking at what the Hadley Climatic Research Unit at Britain's University of East Anglia does to prove global warming (take the quiz below), my method can’t be considered too ridiculous to correlate unemployment, now can it? ;)

http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/gavin-atkins-shadowlands/climate-science-the-quiz.htm

Hey, Looking at what the Hadley Climatic Research Unit at Britain's University of East Anglia does to prove global warming (take the quiz below), my method can’t be considered too ridiculous to correlate unemployment, now can it? ;)

http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/gavin-atkins-shadowlands/climate-science-the-quiz.htm
    Joe: I blame the Demolitioncratz!

Healz: How can you when X Y Z?

Joe: Squirrel! :eek: ---> (!)

Heals: :confused::rolleyes:

Advertisement