Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with computer

Options
  • 24-11-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey, was wondering if I could ask for a little bit of help here.. I turned on my PC today to find it was stalling before windows would boot.. I checked the bios and it wasn't detecting my hard drive or dvd drive. The dvd drive was being powered as I could open and close it so I reasoned that maybe my IDE cable was knackered?.. I tried a spare and still getting nothing from either of them.. I've also tried using spare CD drives which weren't detected.. I tried a SATA hard drive I found and that was detected but windows is corrupt so I can't use that until I can install windows fresh..I'm assuming they are both brown bread at this stage but said I'd see if anyone had any more things I could try first

P.S if i'm in the wrong from sorry :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

can an ide controller for a mobo break?

Either way it's gotta be the motherboard. Can't see two ide devices just breaking at the same time randomly, while sata works!

Maybe it's time to use the sata drives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

^yep, could be the mobo.

Im presuming youre using 1 IDE cable with 2 connectors? if so id try the DVD drive on its own with both connectors of the IDE cable and check if it appears in the bios, if not id check the DVD using the other cable. IF that fails id try the IDE HD with both cables and see if it appears in the bios. If that fails its the IDE controller on the mobo thats gone.

At the end of the day you could just go SATA for all( if theres no data that you really need on the IDE HD ), IDE is crap for harddrives and it was probably a small size, you can get 500Gig Sata drives for ~45euro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Cheers guys got a usb dvd drive so I was able to install windows and now everything seems to be working fine :)

Advertisement