Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD2 -V- Hero

• 24-11-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys im hoping someone can gimme some advice regarding my new phone purchase. Im torn between the htc hero and the hd2, visually i rather the hd2 as i think the big screen is just beautiful. However id much rather andriod over windows mobile. Im not a social networker so all ill be using it for mostly is talk and text and general browsing and apps usage. Any advice? Also could you tell me how much id be expected to spend for each of these sim free?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hero is a good usable size and great to use. The HD2 ia absolutely massive & I've heard terrible things about Windows 6.5 - even though I haven't used it myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hero is a good usable size and great to use. The HD2 ia absolutely massive & I've heard terrible things about Windows 6.5 - even though I haven't used it myself...

It's a good thing that HTC have the Sense UI pretty much covering Windows Mobile 6.5 on the HD2 then. ;)

In addition, I'm using Windows Mobile 6.5 on my X1i without issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

steve_ wrote: »
    ill be using it for mostly is talk and text and general browsing

Either one can handle those 3 with easy. As for browsing the HD2's resolution is much higher than the Hero with a larger screen,

HD2 480 x 800
    Hero 320 x 480
    apps usage

What apps are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

by apps i just mean whatever tickles my fancy on the andriod marketplace, nothing in particular. does the hero use sense ui?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

by apps i just mean whatever tickles my fancy on the andriod marketplace, nothing in particular. does the hero use sense ui?

Well there's your answer! If you want to use andriod apps you'll have to get the Hero. :D and both the Hero and HD2 use the Sense UI.

The Sense UI was writen by HTC to bring both Androids UI and WinMo UI to the next level.

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/06/24/htc-sense-ui-taking-android-to-the-next-level.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

doh i forgot the hd2 dont run android, guess ill choose the hero so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yep, Hero all the way, unless you prefer the bigger screen and WM which I doubt :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

HD2 is a fantastic peice of hardware, but I've read a couple of reviews like this one that slate the phone because of Windows...

http://gizmodo.com/5400593/htc-touch-hd2-review-a-tragedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have read plenty of bad reviews of windows mobile 6.5 but the vast majority of reviews for the hd2 have been excellent - htc's customisations seem to sort out most of the operating systems short comings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

steve_

I've been in the same boat as you - deciding which phone to get and I just couldn't go with the hero because of the chin! (among other things)

I am now almost 100% certainly getting the Acer Liquid A1 which has best of the HD2 and here

- Android (1.6)
    - 800 x 480 screen res
    - slim 12.5mm (in between HD2 and Hero)
    - Snapdragon processor (although underclocked at 768mhz still faster than Hero!)
    - ~€400 SIM FREE! Might even come in under this which is Hero territory and a good deal cheaper than the HD2

This is due out end of month! Personally can't wait to get it although I've yet to see a conclusive review of it I can't imagine it failing running Android with those specs! would of course love to put HTC's Sense UI on it :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement