Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc summer + signing on?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Can you sign on when doing your masters project over the summer does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

yes it is possible. I did it this summer. Presuming semester 3 (summer) is for dissertation time with NO classes at all, then as soon as second semester exams are over go to your course office and ask for a letter stating that you are still registeded on the course but that you are not in attentance and therefore available for full time employment.

Obviously then you still have to pass the criteria for social wellfare such as the prsi payments for 2008 (will be the tax year for next year i think) and residence etc.....i had full tax year in 2007 so i got JB straight away, if you dont you may have to be means tested which some of my class mates did and it took months for them to get a bean!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Anything is possible. Whether you should be getting it or not is another thing. According to this, you can only claim when you are "available for and genuinely seeking work". If you're writing up a dissertation, you are not available for work, nor are you seeking it, so you shouldn't be able to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

snappieT wrote: »
    Anything is possible. Whether you should be getting it or not is another thing. According to this, you can only claim when you are "available for and genuinely seeking work". If you're writing up a dissertation, you are not available for work, nor are you seeking it, so you shouldn't be able to claim.

Meh, semantics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭magicwand

none the wiser really but thanks all the same...

Advertisement