Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next public sector strike confirmed for 3rd December...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Every shop North of Tipperary must be writing P45s as we type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Well the first strike saved the govt. a couple of hundred thousand, pissed of tourists, pissed off those needing medical care, kept the shopkeepers in Newry very busy and reduced traffic on my commute to work.

Good job PS Unions, I am shaking in my boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

great news I really hate thursdays in school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Id say the Government will be happy another days wages saved now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Retailers in the North are undoubtedly delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Work to rule would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

gerry28 wrote: »

Public sector workers have been on a permanant work to rule for years. No change, no real improvements, change and opportunity obstructed at every single turn, despite pallets of cash having been handed over via the benchparking process...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For those who voted in this dispute - did you vote only for one day of industrial action (today) or was the vote for just general strike action with your union deciding how much? Did you know you could be made go out again when you voted?

Can't see what difference another day will make - a view shared by most of the PS/CS workers I spoke to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

ixoy wrote: »
    For those who voted in this dispute - did you vote only for one day of industrial action (today) or was the vote for just general strike action with your union deciding how much? Did you know you could be made go out again when you voted?

Can't see what difference another day will make - a view shared by most of the PS/CS workers I spoke to.

I was just thinking this . From what im aware it was a specific date of striking was voted on but then again who looked at the small print?????????

Ok if the Government baks down at this late stage whatever they were taking in PS cuts where else can they or make up the balance sheet? BTW what date is budget on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Great, I'll remember not to go near any shopping centres on the 3rd December then.

You would swear its the 24th December, not the 24th November today because I have never seen the shops as busy all year.

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    I was just thinking this . From what im aware it was a specific date of striking was voted on but then again who looked at the small print?????????

Ok if the Government baks down at this late stage whatever they were taking in PS cuts where else can they or make up the balance sheet? BTW what date is budget on ?

I think the mandate sought was for general and open-ended industrial action for as long as there is no agreement between the unions and the government.

It is absolutely fu*king revolting, seeing Peter Mc Loone, a man who resigned in disgrace as chairman of the FAS board, who is paid a trophy salary himself, well over 100K, threatening the government and the rest of us, as to the consequences of not complying with his and his members wishes.

If he stood over such imcompetence in a similar private sector position, as he presided over while chairman of the FAS board, he would have been arrested and questioned on suspicion of fraud and misappropriation...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

gerry28 wrote: »

I agree. A second day of strike action will not attain the same level of support from within the public sector. I cant afford to lose yet another days pay anyway and have already cancelled my gym membership and health insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 georgelowden

its just wonderfull to come down off a roof and hand these people 30% of any money i made.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Second day wont do anything !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

its just wonderfull to come down off a roof and hand these people 30% of any money i made.....

The banks?
    The long term unemployed?
    Those in need of humanitarian assistance because of the floods?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you mean the revenue......yeah we all hate taxes but what ya gona do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I would be more open to a work-to-rule day, or even a week of it, than another strike day.
    Work-to-rule has to be one of the most effective ways of making a point.

Darragh29, it's very unfair to say that the whole PS has been on a work-to-rule for ages, it's simply not true, at least not where I've worked.

I would be more open to a work-to-rule day, or even a week of it, than another strike day.
    Work-to-rule has to be one of the most effective ways of making a point.

Darragh29, it's very unfair to say that the whole PS has been on a work-to-rule for ages, it's simply not true, at least not where I've worked.

You see this the very kernel of the problem here... I'm convinced that public sector workers don't understand how change happens automatically in the private sector. If you don't change, then you don't get the opportunity to stay in business. Even if you do change, despite all your very best efforts, you still might not get the opportunity to remain in business.

Are you telling me that wherever you work, you can change work practices or go to your manager and make a suggestion that will improve the standard of service for the customer??? Can you sit down with your co-workers and discuss opening for a half day on a Saturday or two extra hours two evenings a week, (unpaid by the way), to keep the ship pointing to port???

No you can't, and that's why I don't work in the public sector. I need change to happen to stay sane, so that's why I do what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

This is stupid, I`ll accept the first strike as sabre rattling before the budget, but I think ultimately its a waste of time.

Lets take a quote from rte.ie

"Public sector unions say the Government has refused to engage with them on other ways of cutting the state pay and pensions bill by €1.3bn, without hitting pay, pensions or services."

I`m fairly sure those 3 pretty much cover the whole Public sector budget. I think suspension of reality is what is going on here. Nobody wanted a recession, nobody wants to cut pay, but the country can`t keep borrowing the ludicrous amounts of money is currently taking to keep the budget balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Honestly, at this point I hope they keep up the strikes because Im becoming more and more in favour of the IMF coming in to sort this out. It might get the fact across that the private sector cant keep shouldering the burden of this recession alone. We all have to live in the real world. By the way, if some idiots are waddling around with the idea in their head that people think the public sector should take a paycut to avoid a tax increase then theyre wrong.

If you were working for a company where your employer was in the red and borrowing obscene amounts of money every week just to balance the books, what do you think would happen? Well, it depends; in the private sector you get short time, pay cuts, job losses, poor job security.... but if youre in the public sector, apparantly you go on strike and demand other people take the loss in income instead of you (because when the public sector gets a pay decrease then everyone has to shoulder it for them because its state money, but when they get a pay increase its entirely theirs to keep despite the fact its state money :rolleyes:)

Where in the name of God do people think the government will find somewhere in the region of €20B in the economy over the next 4 or 5 years without cutting their ****ing spending? It definitely isnt all gonna come from taxes (although personally Im more than happy and willing to give over a much larger % of my salary in tax), going by the Laffer curve Id say Ireland is at the point of diminishing returns. And please drop the BS "Durr tax dhe rich, them iz dhe gready ones widh awl dhe munneys!!!!!", give a real solution.

Nearly €500million is being borrowed by our government every week just to keep things ticking over, we cant keep borrowing that forever though. Are public sector workers aware of what the IMF would/will do when theyre entrusted to sort out our countries economy? Hint; theyll slash public spending (theyll do other things as well of course, my point is the public sector are better off doing a deal with the government because their attitude of "lol go ahead and try cut my pay, Ill just strike :D" wont go far with the IMF).

But then Im sure the IMF will agree that the public sector isnt in need of paycut too, given all of their convincing arguments and points ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

Decreased tax revenue + more unemployment benifit payments + huge interest payments = introduction of higher taxes and public sector paycuts/cut backs. No way around it.

Remember in the mid '80s paying 55% tax? I do and it could be deja vu all over again.

Something has to give. Nut up and face reality. Hope you didn't spend next months Mortgage payment on trays of Tuborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

there goes my driving test, oh well guess ill have to wait for another 4 months:rolleyes:

Flex wrote: »
    Honestly, at this point I hope they keep up the strikes because Im becoming more and more in favour of the IMF coming in to sort this out. It might get the fact across that the private sector cant keep shouldering the burden of this recession alone. We all have to live in the real world. By the way, if some idiots are waddling around with the idea in their head that people think the public sector should take a paycut to avoid a tax increase then theyre wrong.

If you were working for a company where your employer was in the red and borrowing obscene amounts of money every week just to balance the books, what do you think would happen? Well, it depends; in the private sector you get short time, pay cuts, job losses, poor job security.... but if youre in the public sector, apparantly you go on strike and demand other people take the loss in income instead of you (because when the public sector gets a pay decrease then everyone has to shoulder it for them because its state money, but when they get a pay increase its entirely theirs to keep despite the fact its state money :rolleyes:)

Where in the name of God do people think the government will find somewhere in the region of €20B in the economy over the next 4 or 5 years without cutting their ****ing spending? It definitely isnt all gonna come from taxes (although personally Im more than happy and willing to give over a much larger % of my salary in tax), going by the Laffer curve Id say Ireland is at the point of diminishing returns. And please drop the BS "Durr tax dhe rich, them iz dhe gready ones widh awl dhe munneys!!!!!", give a real solution.

Nearly €500million is being borrowed by our government every week just to keep things ticking over, we cant keep borrowing that forever though. Are public sector workers aware of what the IMF would/will do when theyre entrusted to sort out our countries economy? Hint; theyll slash public spending (theyll do other things as well of course, my point is the public sector are better off doing a deal with the government because their attitude of "lol go ahead and try cut my pay, Ill just strike :D" wont go far with the IMF).

But then Im sure the IMF will agree that the public sector isnt in need of paycut too, given all of their convincing arguments and points ;)

Your dead right, the government are not able to fix this now. We should support those on strike so that we bring forward the day when the IMF will arrive and do the required surgery, and they won't be fannying around with wooly talk of reform or "going forward", they'll just come in and start the chainsaw and take it to the public sector and then we might finally start getting somewhere...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You see this the very kernel of the problem here... I'm convinced that public sector workers don't understand how change happens automatically in the private sector. If you don't change, then you don't get the opportunity to stay in business. Even if you do change, despite all your very best efforts, you still might not get the opportunity to remain in business.

Are you telling me that wherever you work, you can change work practices or go to your manager and make a suggestion that will improve the standard of service for the customer??? Can you sit down with your co-workers and discuss opening for a half day on a Saturday or two extra hours two evenings a week, (unpaid by the way), to keep the ship pointing to port???

No you can't, and that's why I don't work in the public sector. I need change to happen to stay sane, so that's why I do what I do.

Wow, you have some seriously romantic views of how things work in the private sector, and very outdated views on how things work in the PS.

Speaking only from personal experience, which is what I try to do on this site, and not pit around conjecture or made up facts, I have worked in some absolutely pitiful excuses for private sector companies. I've also worked for very good, successful, efficient private sector companies. IN the larger companies, change was indeed difficult, that's the nature of the beast. The bigger the company, the more people are effected by a suggested change and, therefore, it takes a bit longer. It also means that companies are not at the whim of some crackpot director (of which there are countless).

And to answer your question, yes, I have always had regular meetings where I have worked in the PS. Both with my own staff, and with my superiors. All meetings have been open for discussion/suggestions on how to imrpove work practice. Any ideas with merit are tried out. Of course things are slow, due to the organisation being big, and any change that may affect the public needs to be thought-out and not random. There is also the issue of informing the public of any changes to services, which is lengthy and once done, is difficult to retract. Hence, the caution with some things.

Seriously, Darragh29, what do you really think goes on behind all the doors of the various bpdies of the PS? If you think we all just clock in and out and do sweet FA, you are seriously small-minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

the boards.ie hardon for the IMF shows no signs of softening....

Wow, you have some seriously romantic views of how things work in the private sector, and very outdated views on how things work in the PS.

Speaking only from personal experience, which is what I try to do on this site, and not pit around conjecture or made up facts, I have worked in some absolutely pitiful excuses for private sector companies. I've also worked for very good, successful, efficient private sector companies. IN the larger companies, change was indeed difficult, that's the nature of the beast. The bigger the company, the more people are effected by a suggested change and, therefore, it takes a bit longer. It also means that companies are not at the whim of some crackpot director (of which there are countless).

And to answer your question, yes, I have always had regular meetings where I have worked in the PS. Both with my own staff, and with my superiors. All meetings have been open for discussion/suggestions on how to imrpove work practice. Any ideas with merit are tried out. Of course things are slow, due to the organisation being big, and any change that may affect the public needs to be thought-out and not random. There is also the issue of informing the public of any changes to services, which is lengthy and once done, is difficult to retract. Hence, the caution with some things.

Seriously, Darragh29, what do you really think goes on behind all the doors of the various bpdies of the PS? If you think we all just clock in and out and do sweet FA, you are seriously small-minded.

I'm not small minded at all. I don't think you understand how "collective bargaining" works. It works by unionised employees collectively agreeing to changes in work practices, in exchange for improved terms & conditions.

So if you are in a unionised workplace, change is part of a process of collective negotiation and if you are in a non-unionised workplace, change is nothing less than an expectation that is upon you all the time.

So what's happened here is a minority of workers in Ireland are inside a process of collective bargaining, and have been pandered to for the last 15 years, and the majority of workers are outside this process and have no experience of exchanging improvements in work practices for improved terms & conditions, they have to run with change to keep their jobs...

The minority of workers inside the bargaining process now, better known as Benchmarking, are now upset that the cow has been milked dry and are demanding that the private sector deliver another cow with a fresh pair of tits...

I'm all for improved terms, conditions and salaries for productivity improvements, once those improvements can be verified and that the value for the improved terms is apparent for all to see. But as for throwing money at industrial relations problems or suggested problems, and automatic salary increments for everyone, I've a major problem with this and rightly so.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'm not small minded at all. I don't think you understand how "collective bargaining" works. It works by unionised employees collectively agreeing to changes in work practices, in exchange for improved terms & conditions.

So if you are in a unionised workplace, change is part of a process of collective negotiation and if you are in a non-unionised workplace, change is nothing less than an expectation that is upon you all the time.

So what's happened here is a minority of workers in Ireland are inside a process of collective bargaining, and have been pandered to for the last 15 years, and the majority of workers are outside this process and have no experience of exchanging improvements in work practices for improved terms & conditions, they have to run with change to keep their jobs...

The minority of workers inside the bargaining process now, better known as Benchmarking, are now upset that the cow has been milked dry and are demanding that the private sector deliver another cow with a fresh pair of tits...

I'm all for improved terms, conditions and salaries for productivity improvements, once those improvements can be verified and that the value for the improved terms is apparent for all to see. But as for throwing money at industrial relations problems or suggested problems, and automatic salary increments for everyone, I've a major problem with this and rightly so.

Now you seem to have changed the goalposts. First, you were commenting on how you wouldn't work in the PS as you wouldn't be able to abide by how slow it is to effect any kind of change. Never* once did you mention anything about these changes being in relation to pay terms and conditions. In fact, you mentioned change in relation to providing a better service to our customers, the public. Was it that my answer didn't quite meet the needs of your pre-existing views that you needed to then switch to talking about "collective bargaining" in relation to pay and conditions?

Try to make your posts clear and concise if you want some kind of a debate, you can't just change the subject to fit your needs.

*Edit to say that you did suggest working extra on Saturdays. Sorry, but you can't possibly say that that does not already happen in the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Great news about more money saved - I reckon we might save enough in each strike to cut out the need for borrowing each week of the strike.

Asda, Tesco, Erne Shopping centre Enniskillen brace yourselves the southern Public Sector Tsunami is on its way again next Wednesday....

And nobody has one bit of sympathy for them.

And lets not forget post we have to save another 4 billion next year ...... the bearded gentlemen will say tax more more more....

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I wasn't affected by this one day strike as the post still came this morning with my SW cheque as I am on a 3 day week. Why not put all Public Sector workers on a 4 day week in the New Year, working alternate hours of course. This way the country will save on the wage bill and pension payments and also the PS worker cannot claim Social Welfare for a 4 day week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

What I saw today in Ireland was not a strike. If you want a real strike come to france. One Day striking is pointless. One needs to strike continously for weeks if you really want to be listened to. I mean last year in Grenoble the lectures went on strike for 5 months!

Advertisement