Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next public sector strike confirmed for 3rd December...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Now you seem to have changed the goalposts. First, you were commenting on how you wouldn't work in the PS as you wouldn't be able to abide by how slow it is to effect any kind of change. Never* once did you mention anything about these changes being in relation to pay terms and conditions. In fact, you mentioned change in relation to providing a better service to our customers, the public. Was it that my answer didn't quite meet the needs of your pre-existing views that you needed to then switch to talking about "collective bargaining" in relation to pay and conditions?

Try to make your posts clear and concise if you want some kind of a debate, you can't just change the subject to fit your needs.

*Edit to say that you did suggest working extra on Saturdays. Sorry, but you can't possibly say that that does not already happen in the PS.

My posts couldn't be clearer. Change has to happen automatically, not used as a bargaining chip to take more money from the state...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ahh carry on, have a few more strikes, saved me loads of time going to work today with no roadworks or school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Darragh29 wrote: »
    IIt is absolutely fu*king revolting, seeing Peter Mc Loone, a man who resigned in disgrace as chairman of the FAS board, who is paid a trophy salary himself, well over 100K, threatening the government and the rest of us, as to the consequences of not complying with his and his members wishes.

If he stood over such imcompetence in a similar private sector position, as he presided over while chairman of the FAS board, he would have been arrested and questioned on suspicion of fraud and misappropriation...

Please supply an example of anyone in the private sector who has been arrested and questioned despite all what went on in banks?

you speak of the private sector as if it's the best thing in the world. Look at the private sector....raising the price of water containers 4 fold after the floods. Disgusting. Where's your outrage for that?

Just out of curiousity, what is it they plan to do if the govt. just ignore them and put the pay cuts ahead anyway?

All quit? Hardly gonna be worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anybody watch prime time tonight, what's the deal, one person earning near €56,000 a year and they can't live :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

doc_17 wrote: »
    Please supply an example of anyone in the private sector who has been arrested and questioned despite all what went on in banks?

you speak of the private sector as if it's the best thing in the world. Look at the private sector....raising the price of water containers 4 fold after the floods. Disgusting. Where's your outrage for that?

The private sector has its faults, I know for sure because I couldn't work for some of the empoyers in the sector, hence why I'm self employed. But the one thing about the private sector is that with the exception of the banks and I totally and utterly disagree with the bail out they have received and are still receiving, if you do not run an efficient and lean business in the private sector, you go out of business, that's capitalism.

There is a balance that we still I have to find, I don't put the private sector model of doing things out there either, but there is a solution that we haven't found yet, and we could possibly start to look for it if we didn't have Peter Mc Loone and his ilk out there not able to see any further than his own members narrow set of interests...

The unions could easily be a part of the solution here, I fully agree that someone on 30K or 40K should not be asked to take a cut, but what about those on 50K, 100K, 130K, 170K, what have the unions to say about those people??? They have sweet f*ck all to say about those people, because the likes of Peter Mc Loone and Jack O' Connor couldn't keep a straight face if they were ever asked to tell us why people on that kind of money should be told they are taking a pay cut in the order of 50%. Same for the politicians, what position are they in to ask people on trophy salaries to take a pay cut of massive proportions to sort all this out???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anybody watch prime time tonight, what's the deal, one person earning near €56,000 a year and they can't live :confused:

I cringed a little at that myself.

She didn't mention children so i assume she has none. If a single person can't survive on 56K we are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe thats the PS equivalent of 'struggling on a low wage'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

gurramok wrote: »
    Maybe thats the PS equivalent of 'struggling on a low wage'?
    €22k coming into my household at present and we have one child, we're getting by fine, how would she cope on that :rolleyes:, probably wouldn't work for that kind of money. It's about time these people get a reality check if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

there goes my driving test, oh well guess ill have to wait for another 4 months:rolleyes:

Is it down to 4months now?

From 2004, I had to wait 58 weeks, failed it, wait another 56 weeks, missed it as I did a civil service exam, wait another 54 weeks, passed it in 2007.

Sent letters from various employers, all ignored.
    3 years to pass a 45min test.

A lot done, more to do.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Is it down to 4months now?

From 2004, I had to wait 58 weeks, failed it, wait another 56 weeks, missed it as I did a civil service exam, wait another 54 weeks, passed it in 2007.

Sent letters from various employers, all ignored.
    3 years to pass a 45min test.

A lot done, more to do.........
    I applied in September 2007 after being driving for a year, had the test in March 2008, passed it, tried the letters thing, waste of time tbh.
    Same as that, id absolutely love that in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thomasvmh

More than half of the "strikers" took a sick day and went to Newry shopping for x-mas. There complaining about not Getting enough money but they can afford shopping sprees. Also they didn't even support the Irish economy, it's pathic and sad and corrupt and wrong. I'm in 3 rd year nd i'm meant to be doing an exam in June, that will go well with strikes every second week. The farmers have go huge cuts to a small salary and the strikers have more money than sense and they still want more. Typical!!!!!

theyre reeaaalllllyyyyy winning the public over, its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

I think the problem is that everyone in Ireland thinks that they need to buy a house and when they have a few cents left after the day they say to themself
    "hmm I have a bit of money today.....this will last forever....I think i'll buy a house"
    Why do I see people on the news against pay cuts saying
    "I am barely surviving.(tear)..I have a morgage,car loan and credit card debt"
    Oh no, what do you think that that this is our fault, that we made you do this, that you had to do this?
    If you borrow more than you can pay back its your fault! Not mine
    "But I lost my job"
    Tough, you should have money saved so you can survive for lets say two years(and pay your morgage if you had one). You should only take out a loan when you are guarenteed to pay it back. You are not owed a morgage. You didn't have to go on one or two+ holidays a year and then come back and continue paying a morgage.
    It's just stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

More than half of the "strikers" took a sick day and went to Newry shopping for x-mas.

None of the strikers took a sick day. A few thousand may have gone to Newry with many others but this was not a majority or anything remotely resembling a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

thomasvmh wrote: »
    More than half of the "strikers" took a sick day and went to Newry shopping for x-mas. There complaining about not Getting enough money but they can afford shopping sprees. Also they didn't even support the Irish economy, it's pathic and sad and corrupt and wrong. I'm in 3 rd year nd i'm meant to be doing an exam in June, that will go well with strikes every second week. The farmers have go huge cuts to a small salary and the strikers have more money than sense and they still want more. Typical!!!!!

Agreed. Two neighbours of ours, one a vice principal, the other a nurse, both got sick certs for this week, and are in Belfast shopping for a few days, staying up overnight, disgraceful.

ardmacha wrote: »
    None of the strikers took a sick day. A few thousand may have gone to Newry with many others but this was not a majority or anything remotely resembling a majority.
    If any did take a sick day i sincerely hope a cert is required?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    If any did take a sick day i sincerely hope a cert is required?

A sick cert may not be the most difficult thing to acquire, some might tell you.

A sick cert may not be the most difficult thing to acquire, some might tell you.
    nah, its not that, at least it costs money to get :)

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    nah, its not that, at least it costs money to get :)

It would cost you, but if you didn't get yourself one, you wouldn't get paid for the day.

It would cost you, but if you didn't get yourself one, you wouldn't get paid for the day.
    so basically only those on good salaries would get sick certs because they lose less? my wife works in the PS( non unionised i might add ) and it costs her more to get a sick cert than it does to go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

I think the problem is that everyone in Ireland thinks that they need to buy a house and when they have a few cents left after the day they say to themself
    "hmm I have a bit of money today.....this will last forever....I think i'll buy a house"
    Why do I see people on the news against pay cuts saying
    "I am barely surviving.(tear)..I have a morgage,car loan and credit card debt"
    Oh no, what do you think that that this is our fault, that we made you do this, that you had to do this?
    If you borrow more than you can pay back its your fault! Not mine
    "But I lost my job"
    Tough, you should have money saved so you can survive for lets say two years(and pay your morgage if you had one). You should only take out a loan when you are guarenteed to pay it back. You are not owed a morgage. You didn't have to go on one or two+ holidays a year and then come back and continue paying a morgage.
    It's just stupidity.

i seen that too,and i seen on news earlier,some saying some of their work mates are on the breadline,so does that mean in a joking way that some of the workers are just getting €204 a week?,like what an former private sector worker with a family has to live off on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I think the mandate sought was for general and open-ended industrial action for as long as there is no agreement between the unions and the government.

It is absolutely fu*king revolting, seeing Peter Mc Loone, a man who resigned in disgrace as chairman of the FAS board, who is paid a trophy salary himself, well over 100K, threatening the government and the rest of us, as to the consequences of not complying with his and his members wishes.

If he stood over such imcompetence in a similar private sector position, as he presided over while chairman of the FAS board, he would have been arrested and questioned on suspicion of fraud and misappropriation...

I agree - he & all the other fraudsters - why has noone been charged? & 1 big main point here The Government appears to be happy with public vs private attacking each other on this. What are they up to in the back ground?? The more media hype over public sector shoppers it takes the light off them & their tricks. Vincent Browne there on tomorrows newspapers - 250000 public sector workers headed to the north - Thats a lie !" How did they get this fact ? Was every car stopped & questioned? I doubt it. How about all the mams & dads who needed to take the day off as the kiddies were off school? I know so many of them who used this as their " Dec 8th" shopping day & headed North.

Heres a basic fact to our government - STOP THE WASTAGE ! we can afford to pay or doctors & nurses & muinteoirs etc etc if we cut back the millions being wasted! Everyone is forgetting the money that is literly thrown away here. Voting machines, FAS, banking, NAMA.

Stop fighting with one another - Its neither public nor private sectors fault - Its that government & their blatent disregard for you me & everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can't handle the suspense! Show me the budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

Agreed. Two neighbours of ours, one a vice principal, the other a nurse, both got sick certs for this week, and are in Belfast shopping for a few days, staying up overnight, disgraceful.

well then your gripe is with the medical profession, who gave them a cert when they weren't sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was a HSE employee until a year ago, I took a €11,000 pay cut and lost my pension when I joined the private sector,why you ask? because I couldn't endure the managerial incompetence, the waste, the inefficiency and the stupid, stupid politics. Any initiative or use of 'cop' on was seen as a threat. I also made the grave mistake of putting my patients first - big mistake. When I left the NHS the first thing I noticed was, there were three managers doing the one job I did in London, so the warning signs were there for me from day one. I was an insider in the public sector so the wool can't be pulled over my eyes. The private sector has been decimated by the recession, there should be thousands layed off in the public sector (except front line staff )and a 10% pay cut imposed on anyone earning over €40,000 Euro. The fat cats should have a 20%-25% pay cut imposed and that's the ones who haven't been sacked. So how dare those strike who have nothing to strike about, any man or woman laid off in the private sector would gladly except one of the many 'cosy' jobs available in the public sector. How about the big union bosses taking a pay cut of 25% from €135,000 = €101,250, ''Christ'' how would they manage.

well then your gripe is with the medical profession, who gave them a cert when they weren't sick.

Possibly, fair enough. But if one is not ill should you be seeking a cert? There must be some bit of personal integrity about the situation. But true, there are two wrongs here.

unfortunately theyre part of the PS, ohh how convienient.

Lets have private vs public sector riots and sort it out that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Advertisement