Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next public sector strike confirmed for 3rd December...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

lmimmfn wrote: »
    unfortunately theyre part of the PS, ohh how convienient.

the local GP? Nope. Or do you suggest that they all went to hospital for a cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

Voting machines is such a worn out issue that is highlighted by opposition way too much comparing it to other expenses which dwarf it.
    FAS- Isn't FAS very unproductive with regard to the money being spent on it. Aren't the PS workers campaigning on here that they work very hard and are invaluable...
    Isn't it PS workers that are in FAS?
    Banking- We will just have to get over it.
    NAMA- This is needed to set Ireland on the right track again. Proper regulation will have to be implemented after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I was a HSE employee until a year ago, I took a €11,000 pay cut and lost my pension when I joined the private sector,why you ask? because I couldn't endure the managerial incompetence, the waste, the inefficiency and the stupid, stupid politics. Any initiative or use of 'cop' on was seen as a threat. I also made the grave mistake of putting my patients first - big mistake. When I left the NHS the first thing I noticed was, there were three managers doing the one job I did in London, so the warning signs were there for me from day one. I was an insider in the public sector so the wool can't be pulled over my eyes. The private sector has been decimated by the recession, there should be thousands layed off in the public sector (except front line staff )and a 10% pay cut imposed on anyone earning over €40,000 Euro. The fat cats should have a 20%-25% pay cut imposed and that's the ones who haven't been sacked. So how dare those strike who have nothing to strike about, any man or woman laid off in the private sector would gladly except one of the many 'cosy' jobs available in the public sector. How about the big union bosses taking a pay cut of 25% from €135,000 = €101,250, ''Christ'' how would they manage.

Interesting post. I worked bits and pieces in the PS as a private sector employee, some gov depts/bodies etc werent too bad (all way more inefficient then priv sector), but others were basically a work break between tea.

Voting machines is such a worn out issue that is highlighted by opposition way too much comparing it to other expenses which dwarf it.
    FAS- Isn't FAS very unproductive with regard to the money being spent on it. Aren't the PS workers campaigning on here that they work very hard and are invaluable...
    Isn't it PS workers that are in FAS?
    Banking- We will just have to get over it.
    NAMA- This is needed to set Ireland on the right track again. Proper regulation will have to be implemented after it

hmmm... about a thousand people in FAS - over 300,000 in public sector. So the FAS situation means that all public sector workers are wasters? And what's NAMA got to do with this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

A second day will further alienate the general public and will also attract less support from the PS, many of whom are already unhappy about participating in a strike where they dont actually know what they are striking against. Way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

the local GP? Nope. Or do you suggest that they all went to hospital for a cert?
    ahh right, lol, sure why not if it means a handy day shopping, oh right there was probably noone available today in the hospital to write a cert
    A second day will further alienate the general public and will also attract less support from the PS, many of whom are already unhappy about participating in a strike where they dont actually know what they are striking against. Way to go!
    Nah let them go on, im sure those sick folk who've been waiting for a scan and been ill for 6 months wont mind their scan being deffered another few weeks or months knowing that it will help the poor folk in the PS keep the barely life sustainable wages they get.

until the PS started striking, the Government was not engaging with them properly on the budget. Now they are. The strike days are also about leverage when negotiating with the government. If the PS went into talks with no other leverage, their bargaining position would be weaker. When the workers representatives were being ignored, there was always going to be a strike, like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Newry will be very happy :p

ahh right, lol, sure why not if it means a handy day shopping, oh right there was probably noone available today in the hospital to write a cert

what are you talking about? GPs that are handing out certs are not public sector employees. No cert = no pay.

what are you talking about? GPs that are handing out certs are not public sector employees. No cert = no pay.
    i didnt say that, i said "ah right" to what you said about GP's to PS

Either way, only the c***s on decent/overpaid salaries in the PS would go for certs because anyone on the minimum lose with the cost of a cert.
    Again working and milking the system that all us idiots in the private sector pay for, and at the same time leaving all the drones on minimum fight their case in the pissing rain while theyre all up north shopping, haha ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

dodgyme wrote: »
    Interesting post. I worked bits and pieces in the PS as a private sector employee, some gov depts/bodies etc werent too bad (all way more inefficient then priv sector), but others were basically a work break between tea.

+1
    I have had exactly the same experience.

i didnt say that, i said "ah right" to what you said about GP's to PS

Either way, only the c***s on decent/overpaid salaries in the PS would go for certs because anyone on the minimum lose with the cost of a cert.
    Again working and milking the system that all us idiots in the private sector pay for, and at the same time leaving all the drones on minimum fight their case in the pissing rain while theyre all up north shopping, haha ffs.

so you have no proof that any significant portion of the people on strike were getting certs (and pay) without being sick, of that any portion of the people over the border shopping were anything other than parents on a day off to look after their kids (with schools being closed) deciding to do some christmas shopping. still, don't let something like proof get in the way of a rant

so you have no proof that anyone was getting certs without being sick, still, don't let something like proof get in the way of a rant
    what are you on about, my wife was told last friday that she if she wanted to get paid for today she either had to get a sick cert( shes non unionised ) or come into work, that was last weeks option, they were told yesterday that because of all those idiots on strike, the non unionised workers had no work and shouldnt bother coming in today.

Im sure you have proof to the contrary? still dont let reality get in the way of your percieved utopia of the PS.

what are you on about, my wife was told last friday that she if she wanted to get paid for today she either had to get a sick cert( shes non unionised ) or come into work, that was last weeks option, they were told yesterday that because of all those idiots on strike, the non unionised workers had no work and shouldnt bother coming in today.

Im sure you have proof to the contrary? still dont let reality get in the way of your percieved utopia of the PS.

If you make an allegation, back it up - oh, wait, you can't. I don't know any GP that just hands out certs without seeing symptoms of actually being sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you make an allegation, back it up - oh, wait, you can't. I don't know any GP that just hands out certs without seeing symptoms of actually being sick

Do you think that they put a sign outside the door saying they do it?

What allegation? GP's handing out sick certs? read the news papers, last i checked there was some HSE staff member recieving a fortune since being sick since 2003.

If i was a doctor and i got 50euro for a 2 minute job, oh yeah i wouldnt do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone need a whack of the reality stick.

Like i said PS were given an option of sick cert or come to work.

amacachi wrote: »
    Do you think that they put a sign outside the door saying they do it?

From my experience of being sick, any GP I ever went into did not write a cert without first satisfying themselves that I was in fact sick.
    People have alleged here that lots of the people off on strike today were on sick notes without being sick, and therefore getting paid.
    I'm saying that this is unsupported by any facts and that in my experience, it's not that simple to get a sick note without being sick, particularly on a day like today.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions about the rights and wrongs of striking, but there's no need to make up stuff. If you can't support what you're saying without some sort of evidence, then don't say it

From my experience of being sick, any GP I ever went into did not write a cert without first satisfying themselves that I was in fact sick.
    People have alleged here that lots of the people off on strike today were on sick notes without being sick, and therefore getting paid.
    I'm saying that this is unsupported by any facts and that in my experience, it's not that simple to get a sick note without being sick, particularly on a day like today.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions about the rights and wrongs of striking, but there's no need to make up stuff. If you can't support what you're saying without some sort of evidence, then don't say it
    lmao, and these facts, how exactly would they be acquired without a second opinion of a doctor visiting every single person who had a sick cert.

Handy shopping day up north, get over it.

What allegation? GP's handing out sick certs? read the news papers, last i checked there was some HSE staff member recieving a fortune since being sick since 2003.

If i was a doctor and i got 50euro for a 2 minute job, oh yeah i wouldnt do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone need a whack of the reality stick.

Like i said PS were given an option of sick cert or come to work.

What you're actually doing here is having a go at the integrity of doctors and saying that you'd defraud the state if someone would give you 50 quid

lmao, and these facts, how exactly would they be acquired without a second opinion of a doctor visiting every single person who had a sick cert.

Handy shopping day up north, get over it.

unpaid day shopping, if you were over the border. Not getting paid - you can do what you want with the day, public sector or private sector

• Advertisement

What you're actually doing here is having a go at the integrity of doctors and saying that you'd defraud the state if someone would give you 50 quid
    riiiigggghhhtttttt, the same doctors who can only prescribe one brand because thats the company theyre in bed with, the same doctors who ask my dad to go to the other doctor because only he can presribe the alternative.

STFU and dont get me started on that, i have enough painful experience with that $hit to last a lifetime.

riiiigggghhhtttttt, the same doctors who can only prescribe one brand because thats the company theyre in bed with, the same doctors who ask my dad to go to the other doctor because only he can presribe the alternative.

STFU and dont get me started on that, i have enough painful experience with that $hit to last a lifetime.

you have no basis for making the allegations you're making. You're talking out of your hat

you have no basis for making the allegations you're making. You're talking out of your hat
    youve just lost all credibility in any of your comments.

youve just lost all credibility in any of your comments.

I won't get involved in squabbling with you.

Back to the strike, the government has cut pay already this year. The money collected in the pension levy is not going anywhere near the pension reserve or PS pensions - the only reason it was called a pension levy rather than a pay cut was to get around contract law with some employment contracts. Jim Power - on primetime arguing for more pay cuts - acknowledged that the pension levy was a pay cut.
    The government has not provided a blueprint for how it wants the PS to change. It will not provide figures on how much has been saved from the PS pay bill in the last year, despite providing an undertaking that it would. Noone is acknowledging that savings have already been made. Everyone has a legal right to strike, and from the fact that the government has started to engage with the PS unions in the last few days, it has obviously worked. PS workers can see that savings have to be made, but there is no overall plan being presented so that people can see how their sacrifices will feed into an overall recovery, or know with any degree of certainty how much will be taken off them. Since the recession, all experience has shown is that if you do not object enough to pay cuts, your pay will be cut again in a few months, you will be villified in the media and the people that have caused the most expensive mess - the banking/construction sector - are getting off scot free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Public sector workers have been on a permanant work to rule for years. No change, no real improvements, change and opportunity obstructed at every single turn, despite pallets of cash having been handed over via the benchparking process...

Pallets of cash? Let's take a staff nurse in the public sector who qualified a year ago. She gets paid between €34,000 and €35,000 a year and works 5 days a week, eight hours a day in an endoscopy unit of a public hospital. No overtime. Let's round the figure up to €35,000. That works out at €673 per week before tax. If that same nurse were to leave the public sector and do agency nursing (which the public hospitals use all the time to make up for nursing jobs which have not been replaced by the recruitment embargo) she would earn €875 per week before tax (agency rates of pay are €175 for an eight hour shift). The agency she is working for is obviously making a profit - let's say a very conservative €125 per nurse per week. The nurse who cost you €673 per week as a public sector employee is now costing you €1,000 per week as a private sector employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

Wouldn't there be some circumstances where the doctor would have to write a cert? If somebody comes to the doctor and tells them that they've been suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea, or from a severe headache or back pain or something, they can hardly call the patient a liar.

HollyB wrote: »
    Wouldn't there be some circumstances where the doctor would have to write a cert? If somebody comes to the doctor and tells them that they've been suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea, or from a severe headache or back pain or something, they can hardly call the patient a liar.

The public body I work for sent around a notice stating that all certs would have to be submitted in advance of the strike day, therefore anyone going to the doctor would have to present symptoms. If I came into the doc today looking for a cert for tomorrrow, having being sick yesterday, I wouldn't get one, but maybe that's just my doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Faceless people of the Public Sector?
    I'm a qualified Secondary school teacher since 2005. I'm 26 years old and this year I bought my new home. Today, I was on the picket line defending my rights, my pay & conditions against further cuts by this incompetent government as well as standing in solidarity with all of the other 250,000 public servants across the country. I'm sick, sore and tired of defending the fact that I have a job that I love doing everyday and work hard at. I don't and should not apologise for getting paid for the work that I do. In the boom years of the Celtic Tiger; when bankers, builders, lawyers and solicitors rubbed their greedy hands; public servants were looked down upon. Oh how times have changed and the mighty have fallen

Reading some of the comments that the people of the Public Sector are a "faceless" bunch is quite untrue and misleading. Here are a number of scenarios . . .

You are sick, unwell or injured - you are cared for by the wonderful doctors and nurses of THE PUBLIC SECTOR, often working in extremely challenging and stressful situations.

You are in an accident - you are attended and helped by the professional paramedics of THE PUBLIC SECTOR.

Your home is ablaze - You are rescued and looked after by the brave firemen and women of the PUBLIC SECTOR.

You are in trouble and need help - You phone the Garda Síochana, who work in the PUBLIC SECTOR.

Your kids need schooling and a fruitful education - They are looked after and nurtured by the primary and secondary teachers of THE PUBLIC SECTOR, often in cramped, poorly-equipped and dilapidated schools.

The criminals of this land are put behind bars - The prison officers of THE PUBLIC SECTOR face a daily torrent of abuse and intimidation.

I could go on . . .

"Faceless", I think not.

foxymm wrote: »
    "Faceless", I think not.
    er, youre in the wrong thread, last i checked there was no mention of faceless PS here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

er, youre in the wrong thread, last i checked there was no mention of faceless PS here.

I said some of them were faceless because they are, they are off back in an office somewhere and nobody has a clue what they are doing...

Advertisement