Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next public sector strike confirmed for 3rd December...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

foxymm wrote: »
    In the boom years of the Celtic Tiger; when bankers, builders, lawyers and solicitors rubbed their greedy hands; public servants were looked down upon. Oh how times have changed and the mighty have fallen
    How were you looked down upon during the boom years ? you striked back then and you got your pay increases. Most of the PS workers were just as greedy as everyone else, going out getting fancy houses, holiday homes and apartments abroad, fancy cars etc...

As I see it times haven't changed, you still want it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I said some of them were faceless because they are, they are off back in an office somewhere and nobody has a clue what they are doing...
    fair enough,its just it was a copy/paste from the other thread, regardless, im sure there were planty of faceless fat cats staying indoors today while the lower paid were out in the pissing rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

lmimmfn wrote: »
    fair enough,its just it was a copy/paste from the other thread, regardless, im sure there were planty of faceless fat cats staying indoors today while the lower paid were out in the pissing rain.

I genuinely feel for nurses and Gardai who face pay cuts, in fact I don't think they should take pay cuts at least definitely not those at the start of their careers. Teachers are a different matter entirely I think, I think the standard of teaching in this country is an absolute disgrace and nothing will convince me to the contrary. Then we have a whole load of faceless beaurocrats who nobody has clue what they are employed for. In the private sector, when cuts have to happen, it is usually a bloated layer of middle management that first gets cut away, but in the Irish public sector, this layer of waste seems to be the last to be cut if it will be cut at all...

Best thing lenihan could do is cut every public sector salary above 50K by 30%, with a guarantee that it won't be touched again until 2012. Cut childrens allowance for any couple earning over 100K completely, cut dole and state pensions by 15%, again, leave them alone until 2012. Increase each income tax rate by 1.5%

Problem sorted, front load the pain, get it over and done with, let people see that the axe has been swung, then people will start having some hope...

Worst thing that can happen here is he makes a half arsed attempt to sort this out and people limp on in despair, doom and gloom for the next budget, refusing to spend, more jobs lost, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I genuinely feel for nurses and Gardai who face pay cuts, in fact I don't think they should take pay cuts at least definitely not those at the start of their careers. Teachers are a different matter entirely I think, I think the standard of teaching in this country is an absolute disgrace and nothing will convince me to the contrary. Then we have a whole load of faceless beaurocrats who nobody has clue what they are employed for. In the private sector, when cuts have to happen, it is usually a bloated layer of middle management that first gets cut away, but in the Irish public sector, this layer of waste seems to be the last to be cut if it will be cut at all...

Best thing lenihan could do is cut every public sector salary above 50K by 30%, with a guarantee that it won't be touched again until 2012. Cut childrens allowance for any couple earning over 100K completely, cut dole and state pensions by 15%, again, leave them alone until 2012. Increase each income tax rate by 1.5%

Problem sorted, front load the pain, get it over and done with, let people see that the axe has been swung, then people will start having some hope...

Worst thing that can happen here is he makes a half arsed attempt to sort this out and people limp on in despair, doom and gloom for the next budget, refusing to spend, more jobs lost, etc...
    well i read the nurses charter back in 2007( when they decided they werent getting enough and wanted either 10% extra or a cut in hours ) or 2006 which was posted in Tullamore hospital. 2 years diploma with 2 years experience = 43K + 15K guaranteed overtime, im no genius, but at 22 years of age thats some damn fine money, it might have been 6 years in total( but absolutely no more ), so please others if it was 4 years work experience my apologies. Im sure by the age of 35 even having 58K guaranteed per year from the age of 24 they would be able to cope lol.

Teachers sicken me, if they fart they strike. I agree on your cuts, perfect for the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

foxymm wrote: »
    Faceless people of the Public Sector?
    I'm a qualified Secondary school teacher since 2005. I'm 26 years old and this year I bought my new home.

You're story is remarkably similar to this one. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/education/2009/1124/1224259332656.html?via=mr

She has at least 3 yrs experience. Do you think the primary school teacher is value for money earning 43k after 3 yrs exp.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I genuinely feel for nurses and Gardai who face pay cuts, in fact I don't think they should take pay cuts at least definitely not those at the start of their careers.

Why would you feel sorry for these folks? They are well paid for the job they do.
    A Garda with a couple of years on the job can earn well in excess of 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

On the 3rd what I'd like to see is all those former private sector workers who have been laid off to go out and face up to the strikers and ask them 'WTF are ye doing with your 1000euro (avg teacher/nurse pay) a week when we have to survive on dole payments of about 200, how dare ye complain!!!!'

It must be gutting for those on the dole seeing the public sector off up the North to stock up for christmas while they will barely survive through it!!!

If this were to happen then maybe, just maybe the public sector would finally get a sense of reality, put down the violins and accept that the private sector has already been decimated and it is time for them to suck it up.

They could get some money back by quitting their ridiculous unions and saving themselves the union contributions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

gurramok wrote: »
    You're story is remarkably similar to this one. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/education/2009/1124/1224259332656.html?via=mr

She has at least 3 yrs experience. Do you think the primary school teacher is value for money earning 43k after 3 yrs exp.?

NO - A close relative of mine is a primary school teacher in the UK, and has 33 years experience and does not make as much as the 3 years qualified national school teacher here - she makes 35 k sterling a year about 38.5 Euro.

Teachers are overpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

Well I have no problem with another strike day
    Spent the day on the picket in Galway and have to say 70% of the people that walked past us told us to keep up the fight and a lot said I hope yea take this Government down.
    Also the people that passed in car loads of them beeped at us
    Once again the media have fooled the Irish people with the lies that the public sector went shopping for the day
    Did the media put people on border crossing and ask the people what they worked at??????????
    From yesterday strike it can be seen that the public sector will no longer take the bashing and this bashing will make things a lot worse for the Irish people. So if the private sector wants to blame somebody blame the Irish media for creating a public sector V private sector divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

westtip wrote: »
    NO - A close relative of mine is a primary school teacher in the UK, and has 33 years experience and does not make as much as the 3 years qualified national school teacher here - she makes 35 k sterling a year about 38.5 Euro.

Teachers are overpaid.

i agree, i lived with a school teacher recently who has about 3 years experience and one day she left her payslip around on the table and honestly i was gutted to see that she was making around 45k plus allowances. Most days she was home at 3 pm , travelling around the world on midterm breaks and holidays. I've been working for 14 years in the private sector, have a degree and a postgrad and she makes almost as much as me after just 3 years!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

On the 3rd what I'd like to see is all those former private sector workers who have been laid off to go out and face up to the strikers and ask them 'WTF are ye doing with your 1000euro (avg teacher/nurse pay) a week when we have to survive on dole payments of about 200, how dare ye complain!!!!'

I think the striker should respond, "I work for a living and contribute to society. I am not working today and am not being paid. You on the other hand make no contribution to society and you receive government money, which is needed to support services, for doing absolutely nothing".

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

ardmacha wrote: »
    I think the striker should respond, "I work for a living and contribute to society. I am not working today and am not being paid. You on the other hand make no contribution to society and you receive government money, which is needed to support services, for doing absolutely nothing".

What a joke of a comment!

You say it as if these people want to be living on the dole and getting 200 euro a week, their Employer couldn't afford to pay their wages and they were let go, the Employer of the Public Sector can't afford to pay their wages yet none have been let go, it's a disgrace.

The public sector are completely blinded by greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gurramok wrote: »

I read that article this morning and I was shocked at how much she earned.

She tries to justify her working hours saying that she starts work at 8 and leaves at 4.30 everyday and doesn’t get overtime. That’s the conditions of my employment, only I don’t have the protection afforded to public sector workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aidan_mc

HOW DARE YOU say that some people have not contributed to society. I was let go in june after 25 years of continous employment and you say I contibuted nothing ???????? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

seangal wrote: »
    Spent the day on the picket in Galway and have to say 70% of the people that walked past us told us to keep up the fight and a lot said I hope yea take this Government down.
    Once again the media have fooled the Irish people with the lies that the public sector went shopping for the day
    Did the media put people on border crossing and ask the people what they worked at??????????
    From yesterday strike it can be seen that the public sector will no longer take the bashing and this bashing will make things a lot worse for the Irish people. So if the private sector wants to blame somebody blame the Irish media for creating a public sector V private sector divide.
    Hmmm, I suppose the private sector workers were in, well, work! It must have been your public sector comrades patting you on the back for a job well done <cough> while they were doing a spot of pre-pre-pre-christmas shopping! "Shall we have goose this year darling? Turkey is for the commoners!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Disgraceful comment.

The former worker who has recently lost his job (whose taxes paid YOUR wages, remember?) is entitled to dole while he gets back on his feet. He may never get back on his feet however, if costs aren't driven down to keep/attract jobs here. The only real barrier to falling costs are the PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS and the members who support them!

The mask of solidarity has slipped and all can see what a public sector worker thinks of the private sector worker bee whose 'job' it is to give his taxes to revenue to have in handed over in fistfulls to the overpaid, un-firable public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

seangal wrote: »
    They done a pretty good job of it with the superimposing of photos with tailbacks on the M1 and video of people in the shops in Newry.
    seangal wrote:
    Actually, a few had segments asking people if they were public sector, and many of them were.
    seangal wrote:

I actually blame the Unions for the divide as they have been busily pushing themselves as the victims claiming they didn't create the problems we are in today, and keeping the conversation firmly on the front line staff so if you are for cuts, it is only in terms of nurses and Gardai and teachers that they speak.
    The only alternative they have come out with against cuts is this 10 point plan, which does have some good proposals but some pathetic unrealistic ones that are going to get us into a worse mess than we are in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

that statement is for any one outside of PS is the crux of the problems facing them.
    another problem is that the most of the PS are by their jobs and training control freaks who are used to telling people what to do, and have never being told what they have to do.

MaceFace wrote: »
    They done a pretty good job of it with the superimposing of photos with tailbacks on the M1 and video of people in the shops in Newry.

Actually, a few had segments asking people if they were public sector, and many of them were.

I actually blame the Unions for the divide as they have been busily pushing themselves as the victims claiming they didn't create the problems we are in today, and keeping the conversation firmly on the front line staff so if you are for cuts, it is only in terms of nurses and Gardai and teachers that they speak.
    The only alternative they have come out with against cuts is this 10 point plan, which does have some good proposals but some pathetic unrealistic ones that are going to get us into a worse mess than we are in now.
    so on the car reg it said " i am a public sector worker"
    The people on vide had a badge saying i am a public sector worker
    And when aske to you worker for the publice sector they all said yes
    who asked the question so i can ring them ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Any more from ardmacha and he'll be banned but the rest of ye should have enough cop on to just report the post and not give what was a blatant troll a reaction which was what it was designed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

hmmm... about a thousand people in FAS - over 300,000 in public sector. So the FAS situation means that all public sector workers are wasters? And what's NAMA got to do with this thread?
    My post on NAMA, FAS, etc was in response to an earlier post. You should read the thread before you post:rolleyes:
    I didn't say all the PS were wasters nor FAS employees. I'm saying that a larger proportion sit back and relax than in the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

My post on NAMA, FAS, etc was in response to an earlier post. You should read the thread before you post:rolleyes:
    I didn't say all the PS were wasters nor FAS employees. I'm saying that a larger proportion sit back and relax than in the private sector.

Have you worked in the public service? I have worked in both - I found working as a Grade IV in a Local Authority very regimented - you nearly needed a Manager's Order to take a pee. The majority of Councillors were egocentric bastards but there were a few good ones too.My next job was for a large printing company in Dublin - fond memories of the printer coming in on night shift 3 nights a week totally wasted on beer and falling asleep on the ground beside an offset machine. I was told I had to cover up for him if I knew what was good for me. No wonder they went bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

milkerman wrote: »
    Have you worked in the public service? I have worked in both - I found working as a Grade IV in a Local Authority very regimented - you nearly needed a Manager's Order to take a pee. The majority of Councillors were egocentric bastards but there were a few good ones too.My next job was for a large printing company in Dublin - fond memories of the printer coming in on night shift 3 nights a week totally wasted on beer and falling asleep on the ground beside an offset machine. I was told I had to cover up for him if I knew what was good for me. No wonder they went bust.
    But does that not prove the point that if a private sector company is run shabbily and ineffective it will eventually fail. Whereas, if a department in the public sector is being run badly it will just keep getting money ploughed into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Coming a bit late to this but.....that independent article is a bit of a disgrace. For 2 reasons - firstly that girl should have had more cop on that to feel the need to defend her profession to the media. And secondly, I presume there were no follow up articles on a day in the life of a nurse/guard/fireman/suited civil servant/manager/clerical worker, who were also all striking? Why focus on teachers?
    Bloody media, always whipping everything into a huge frenzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

I think we should all encourage the public sector to strike more often. It saves huge amounts of money and is making a positive contribution to the exchequer.

lets hope not too many of them ring up to say "I am taking an uncertified sick day" the next day, as so many seem to take uncertified sick days, of which they are allowed so many per year, as extra holiday entitlements.

Bravo to all our brave striking public servants!

it look like it will all be solved
    12 day unpaid leave which i think is a great deal
    12 day less childcare to pay
    12 day less travel
    win win win all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

milkerman wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    But does that not prove the point that if a private sector company is run shabbily and ineffective it will eventually fail. Whereas, if a department in the public sector is being run badly it will just keep getting money ploughed into it.

@milkerman: Your post above is a triple fail :pac:
    Do you think that such scrutinization of PS workers is a good thing? Mabye it is another source of wastage:rolleyes:
    You say that most councillors (which are PS) are "egocentric bastards"
    (Being egocentric is having little or no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one's own; self-centered)
    Which shows us how the PS think they should get paid more than everyone else! That the councillors have no interest in anyone else. I cant say anymore because
    I cant believe how much you just shot yourself in the foot with your argument.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I didnt notice a bloody IOTA of difference when they striked last week, Im sure I wont on December 3rd! Itll save us afew quid! Why dont they go on strike for the entire month?! Id say rather than hating it, the goverment are loving the Unions shooting themselves in the foot! especially with the budget coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I didnt notice a bloody IOTA of difference when they striked last week, Im sure I wont on December 3rd! Itll save us afew quid! Why dont they go on strike for the entire month?! Id say rather than hating it, the goverment are loving the Unions shooting themselves in the foot! especially with the budget coming up!

God forbid should you, a member of your family or anyone else who feels there was no difference with the strikes require immediate medical attention or emergency services.

Also, should your education or anyones education be affected because of strikes.

Think these don't make a difference?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

shapez wrote: »
    God forbid should you, a member of your family or anyone else who feels there was no difference with the strikes require immediate medical attention or emergency services.

Also, should your education or anyones education be affected because of strikes.

Think these don't make a difference?? :rolleyes:

i pay a nice bit for private healthcare

alot more efficient and well worth it in case of emergencies

Advertisement