Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Prawn Receipe?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    ive a load of frozen king prawns that i want to do for dinner. They are already prep'd and just need to be defrosted and cooked... but ive never tried cooking them before. Im looking for a nice way of having them for a dinner that aint too difficult to do... open to suggestions.
    THanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

How about a nice asian stir fry with noodles?
    Just stir fry some onions, beansprouts, mushrooms, carrot strips, even peas or whatever stir fry mix you like (the frozen bags are handy). Sweat down the veg, throw in some tasty asian spices like lemon grass, chives, garlic, coriander leaves. Zest a lime and throw in the zest and juice. Add some soy sauce, and chicken stock if you like, about a cupful. Bring mix to a simmer and add the prawns, frozen.The prawns are cooked once they turn opaque, don't cook them for long or they will be like bullets. You put them in second last.
    Meanwhile in another pot, boil some egg noodles for 3mins. Just before they are done, throw them into the wok with the limey asian prawney combo.
    Toss them together and pour into a bowl each. Garnish with some more herbs of choice, and a final squeeze of lime!
    Healthy, quick (~15mins including prep) and bedamned tasty.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Eviledna wrote: »
    Bring mix to a simmer and add the prawns, frozen.The prawns are cooked once they turn opaque, don't cook them for long or they will be like bullets. You put them in second last..:D

If the prawns are frozen, i'd prefer to defrost first. They cook quite fast, and straight into a hot pan could result in the outside cooked, but the centre frozen.

OP defrost first and add to pan as above imo

By the way, can you tell the difference between cook and raw. (The orange/pink and white lads are cooked)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Keep it simple, defrost the prawns in the fridge,takes longer to defrost I know but at least you wont get food poison. Melt some butter in a pan, add crushed garlic if you like
    garlic , toss prawns in butter (garlic) . Serve on crusty french bread with a selection of
    green salad leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i always defrost my uncooked (peeled) king prawns in cold water and just leave them for a while and have never had any problems with them that way. i've even done it in cold running water in a sieve before and didnt't have any problems. not sure how the health and safety executive would feel about it, but it worked for me.

as for recipes, i usually do them in a stir fry or a nice curry.

if they're big ones, i also like to cut them in half (the same way you'd cut a lobster in half, through the spine area, top to bottom), that way when thy cook they twist round like a pigs tail which helps them to hold on to a bit of whatever sauce you use and also makes them more bite sized and gives you twice as many prawns to disperse through your dish. it's also the easist way to clean out the waste yoke that they have running down their back to their tail if you clean them under running water.

Maybe its just me but I find curry no matter what strength clouds the dialectic flavor
    of prawns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Anyone know where i might be able to find some frozen raw prawns? Want to make some coconut prawns that'll i''l be frying but all i see in the supermarkets and prawns that have already been cooked.

I've had a look on the superquinn website and they appear have a decent selection, but i'm not entirely sure which are cooked or uncooked. Some don't say anything about being cooked, but then the in the picture, looked cooked. Anyone bought from there and would know? Kind of want ones with the tails on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

why do they have to be uncooked? I've only seen uncooked prawns at a fishmongers stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

el dude wrote: »
    Anyone know where i might be able to find some frozen raw prawns? Want to make some coconut prawns that'll i''l be frying but all i see in the supermarkets and prawns that have already been cooked.

I've had a look on the superquinn website and they appear have a decent selection, but i'm not entirely sure which are cooked or uncooked. Some don't say anything about being cooked, but then the in the picture, looked cooked. Anyone bought from there and would know? Kind of want ones with the tails on.

They could be either. You can get tails on both cooked and uncooked.
    But its real easy to tell the difference.

Cooked = orange shell, white meat
    Raw=grey shell, grey meat

Cooked

2ee85dee652af29a

Raw
    b89d5ff60f40a710

From the superquinn website, shop online section, fresh fish
    these are raw prawns
    http://www.superquinn.ie/shopping/Shopping/Shop.aspx#&&ShopProdID=90042116

why do they have to be uncooked? I've only seen uncooked prawns at a fishmongers stall.

Health and Safety legislation, you cant mix both, raw with cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

el dude wrote: »

Hi Tesco do frozen king prawns. They were on offer last week so I got about 6 bags of them. They're lovely too. I defrost them for a couple of hours at room temp and either stir fry em or use em in curries etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement