Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last 3 albums I got...

Options
  • 24-11-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Yo yo

This has probly been done before but...
    The idea..
    We list the last 3 albums we got our hands on,, give it a brief description etc.. this way hopefully recommending some new music for people etc..
    my last 3 in order of most recent are....

1. Arkaea - Years In Darkness (2009)

Christian/raymond ex-Fear Factory, and guys from threat signal, debut album, christian has been quoted saying most of the tracks were originally meant to be FF songs, so for fans of the Archtype era id say. thumbs up from me.

2. Satyricon - The Age of Nero (2008)

Out the 2 types of satyricon shadowthrone era and volcano+ era, this seems to be the perfect combination of old and new satyricon.

3. Divine Heresy - Bringer of Plagues (2009)

Newest is minus old vocalist TommyVext, musically it is fairly similiar, the vocalist change to me does change the overall sound though so i wouldnt say it matches up to the first album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Frost-Experiments in Mass Appeal
    Think Porcupine Tree covering Muse's Origins of Symmetry, except it being originals, and you have this album. Singers voice slightly grating, but otherwise excellent, and my personal favourite band find of this year. Dark subject matter, but still excellent musicianship, and well worth a listen for all prog fans.

Transatlantic-The Whirlwind
    Prog supergroup, featuring Spocks Beard, Marillion and Dream Theater. Its predominantly one track, 77 minutes long, sub-divided into 12 sections. Contains epic song-writing, brilliant musicianship anda genuinely great listen IMO.

Them crooked Vultures-S/T
    This old nugget. Don't know what people were expecting from this, the mother of all supergroups(once again, IMO), but this is a jam session that oozes awesomeness. Innovativeness that make this just a perfect rock n' roll album. Its 3 great musicians, having fun recording an album. Perfect for grooving to, and a shining piece of work amongst all the crap dom and gloom lately. I do get lost in it the whole time.*

Also bought new Alice in chains today, but not listened yet to be able to review properly.

*Does my biased love of anything Josh Homme become to obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue: 20th Anniversary Special Edition

All the original tracks from the album remastered, with a few previously unreleased versions of the songs (including a ''Vai Voltage'' version of ''Fool For Your Loving'') and some Live versions from Donington 1990. Excellent stuff.

Steve Jones - Mercy

First solo outing from the ex-Sex Pistol. Production kinda lets this album down a bit; overly late-80's over-production with too many keyboards washing over it, but still, minor quibbles with an excellent album.

Asia - Alpha

Asia's second album after the eponymous debut. Pure schmaltz and AOR... an entertaining album if ever there was, but not one with depth or anything. Just some good-time , lovey tracks.

Those are the last three albums I've purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Good idea for a thread! I've gotten a few albums recently but I won't list up the ones that weren't rock or metal.

First up is English industrial rockers Layhannya. I got their album Shotgun Reality. This album seems to focus more on synth-based soundscapes rather than on a straightforward combination of guitar and bass. While I'm not sure if I like it as much as their first release they deserve some credit for altering their sound rather than sticking to a formula.

Next is Threat Signal's new album Vigilance. Much like their first album, this one grew on me. Nothing much stood out for me on the first listen but subsequently I realised that there are some cracking tunes on there such as Through My Eyes, United We Stand and Beyond Recognition.

Lastly is another industrial rock band. This time it's Canadians I:Scintilla and their release Prey On You. They have just released a new EP this month. Their last release was quite a while ago so I was delighted to see them coming up with new material. I haven't listened too much to the songs on the new release but so far it seems pretty similar to their previous releases.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
    Rather meh about this, like the music but I really dislike the style of vocals. I'm sure it's awesome if it's your type of metal, but isn't for me - 5/10

Ayreon - 01011001
    Fairly impressed with this, possibly the best I've heard from Ayreon after The Human Equation (which is one of my favourite albums ever) Some great instrumental work and the vocals are good too, if a little odd at times. Delighted that Hansi Kursch and Daniel Gildenlow were on a guest vocals - 7/10

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Decided to delve into Pink Floyd recently and this is their second album that I've got. (First being Wish You Were Here) Really really like it. Great to just stick on and relax too. Time, Money and Brain Damage are all great tracks, but the whole album fits together brilliantly - 9/10

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Adagio - Archangels in Black
    Not a bad album, recomended by a mate. They're a bit like Dream Theatre (imo - a bit!)

Machinehead - Through The Ashes Of Empires
    Unbelieveable album, probably goes without saying in here! I only really started to listen to them after The Blackening (also class). The opening, Imperium really sets the tone for whats to come in the rest of the album!

Avenged Sevenfold - Sounding The Seven Trumpets
    Totally not what I expected. I had all they're latest stuff ( am I putting in for some stick here?). This album is really heavy, some crazy screaming (not much poppy singing) Lips of Deciet is a personal favourite,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Alestorm - Black sails at midnight: Some good catchy melodies and Lyrics good for a night of drinking:D

Obituary - Darkest Day: havent really given it a good listen but what I heard was pretty boring

Vreid - Milorg: Amazing Album, some classic riffs and some Windir sounds seeping in in places! I would recommend this to any metal fan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Pearl Jam - Backspacer , poor effort despite reviews I've read, I am a big PJ fan too but their last few offerings are forgettable. Really apart from one or two songs a massive disappointment. Radio friendly pap.
    3/10.

Grind Madness at the BBC - Carcass, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Godflesh et al.
    nothing new here just the legendary John peel sessions from the late 80s/early 90s, some great performances - an essential collection for the death metal fan. Let down slightly by some of the punk stuff on disc 3 , not my cuppa. 9/10

Slayer - World Painted Blood - Haven't listened to this enough to be sure but it sounds like more of the same old Slayer, nothing really stands out. Decent but hardly essential Slayer 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Enfold Darkness - Our Cursed Rapture Pretty damn good. Probably the only band on Sumerian that isn't deathcore and they put out a brilliant first record. It sounds sort of black metal but it's still got a load of melody and at times is quite catchy. Brilliant guitar playing and the shrieks are great. 8/10

The Contortionist - Apparition Great progressive type deathcore. These guys know how to write well. The switches from brutal to more melodic can seem a bit off the wall at times but overall a great album. Eyes:Closed is one of the best songs I've heard this year. 9/10

The Red Chord - Fed Through The Teeth Machine I find this band very similiar to Job For A Cowboy or The Black Dahlia Murder although somewhat more interesting. Most of this album is straight death metal but the melodic moments are there. Some of the songs are really great but overall it's a bit tedious. 6/10

Advertisement