Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flooding what is been done?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

i have started a new thread, because I see some of the of others are straying from the point.
    although a Galwegian born and bred I live outside the county. I hear the reports every day, but somehow have the feeling that very little is being done about it.
    the fire service can probably not pump out the water as they is probably no where to pump it, but I would have imagined the army would be involved, filling sandbags and the like.
    are trains currently running? will be heading west at the weekend, hopefully it will have receeded by then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Galway City Civil Defence were in Ballinasloe all weekend and are waiting on stand-by to provide assistance if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i have started a new thread, because I see some of the of others are straying from the point.
    although a Galwegian born and bred I live outside the county. I hear the reports every day, but somehow have the feeling that very little is being done about it.
    the fire service can probably not pump out the water as they is probably no where to pump it, but I would have imagined the army would be involved, filling sandbags and the like.
    are trains currently running? will be heading west at the weekend, hopefully it will have receeded by then.

Do you not watch TV or listen to the news, the Army have been heavily invoved in helping out since last Friday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Do you not watch TV or listen to the newsy

Yer wan was eating spiders and maggots every night in Australia , why watch real disasters :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

City Council have ensured drains are clear and distributed sandbags to some areas such as Flood St.
    Otherwise it's only the N17 at Twomileditch on the Tuam Rd that was severely affected.

Galway County forum is that way >>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

You must have been tuned out of any news because the army have been stuck in there doing all they can. Even the gardai who come up against criticism now and then have been praised..okay things aren't perfect but between them and the civil defence trying to restore some sort of sanity to what's going, I think a pretty fine job is being done..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You must have been tuned out of any news because the army have been stuck in there doing all they can. Even the gardai who come up against criticism now and then have been praised..okay things aren't perfect but between them and the civil defence trying to restore some sort of sanity to what's going, I think a pretty fine job is being done..

Along with the Army I forgot to mention the Civil Defence Teams and the Garda along with all the Council workers well done to them all.

Lest we forget the volunteers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

And the county council managed to get Craughwell Bridge assessed, resurfaced and markings done overnight on Sunday in a storm.

Lots of tireless work and effort from all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Do you not watch TV or listen to the news, the Army have been heavily invoved in helping out since last Friday

NO TV and the radio said nothing about the army.jim fahy on RTE RAdio one has being keeping me in the dark

Lest we forget the volunteers!
    the media appears to have, at least the indo and the times. they had pictures of flooding alright, but I only saw pictures of the fire service, no CD or gards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocho

NO TV and the radio said nothing about the army.jim fahy on RTE RAdio one has being keeping me in the dark

Couldn't agree more. Connacht was effectively cut off from the rest of the country on Friday morning and RTE sent Dobbo down to Cork???

How many times are they going to show us the footage of the ESB damn down there? OK, the langers had it bad down there, but a quick piece from Fahy in waders in Ballinasloe??? Also, IIRC, he didn't even mention the emergency opening of the M6 on Friday.

As usual, anything happens outside Dublin, it's played down, and if there's a bit of drizzle inside the Pale, they're building the fecking Ark.

The news opened with a clip of the army filling sandbags in ballinasloe a few nights ago? Spoke to an army man (excuse my ignorance regarding ranks!) about how it was the worst they had seen etc!

I agree with the volunteer situation tho, not a word has been said.

it seems volunteers are not really respected in this country. they do not get paid and a lot of CD people would not get the time off work to go to alleviate the flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

If it's not in Dublin, it doesn't seem to matter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxohQhBYC_0&feature=player_embedded

Prime time tonight..Miriam O Callaghan is reporting from South Galway if anyone is interested...since it is GALWAY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

snubbleste wrote: »
    City Council have ensured drains are clear

I haven't seen or heard of any extra efforts being made to clear drains. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

the media appears to have, at least the indo and the times. they had pictures of flooding alright, but I only saw pictures of the fire service, no CD or gards.

Eh, nearly all the Galway City Civil Defence unit were at Ballinasloe last Thursday/Friday. From the time of getting the call to leaving Galway was about an hour (maybe a little more) - ANYONE who could attend, did attend.

One group of the CD stayed there for 4 days. Each of these people got 7 hours sleep each over the 4 days, and spent all the rest of the time in the water in drysuits (you still get cold), carrying sandbags, bagging houses and carrying people from their homes.

Don't forget that the people in the CD are volunteer. Gardai and Army are getting paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

CD done an awful lot to help, there numbers arn't massive and they still done just as much as the army, as for the gards they done nothing as far as im concerned. The only thing I seen them do was direct traffic and sit in there cars on the motorway drinking tea.

And as for civil defence not being mentioned in the news they were on the rté news in ballinasloe taking people out of there houses (the people in the orange and black dry suits or just orange jackets with no waterproofs ).

And just to explain how much civil defence were doing, when they were on the news it was 6 members of CD evacuating 1 of the homes and 1 member of the army sitting in the boat nice and dry. I was in ballinasloe with CD sand bagging from about 3pm untill 9pm had an hour break while the army took over then they p!ssed off and we were sand baggin for the rest of the night!

Prime time tonight..Miriam O Callaghan is reporting from South Galway if anyone is interested...since it is GALWAY

the south dubs sound so condesending when talking about 'The west of Ireland'

Advertisement