Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

substitutes

• 24-11-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

does it drive anyone else feckin mad that subs being paid by their clubs 40 odd grand a week takes ages to get themselves ready to come on at short notice,,,take kryakos(crap spellin i know)at liverpool(im not a fan by the way)..it took him ages to get ready when agger had to come off...he had no boots on ,no shin pads on, and no feckin shirt on...game went on for 4 or 5 minutes while he was sorting himself...could have cost his team a goal..surely subs should be fully kitted out an rearin to go from kick off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If Kyrgiakos is on 40k a week then I may have to join the Rafa-out brigade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Morzadec wrote: »
    If Kyrgiakos is on 40k a week then I may have to join the Rafa-out brigade!

A European champion with his country and just got Greece to another world cup.

Don't judge players on 2 monthes with Liverpool during their worst run in recent memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

im not saying anything about him as a football player but i would expect any sub to be ready at a minutes notice...and i would say hes on about 40k

noodler wrote: »

Don't judge players on 2 monthes with Liverpool during their worst run in recent memory.

What I mean is that he is our 4th choice CB and is possibly past his prime. Given our financial situation I would be highly surprised if he is on as much as 40k a week. My guess is about half that

EDIT: Thought he was a little older than 30, so ignore my 'past his prime' comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He didn't exactly do it single-handedly now did he?

Remember, Roque Junior is a WORLD Champion, and a Champions League Winner

• Advertisement

What I mean is that he is our 4th choice CB and is possibly past his prime. Given our financial situation I would be highly surprised if he is on as much as 40k a week. My guess is about half that

Its fairly average with someone of his reputation I would have thought.

I mean, did Agger or Srktel have bigger professional reputations before they joined Liverpool?
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    He didn't exactly do it single-handedly now did he?

Remember, Roque Junior is a WORLD Champion, and a Champions League Winner

So, it should count against him? Don't go out of your way to make it sound like a negative point. He is an international class centreback who regularly leads his team to either qualify for major championships or come extremely close. There is clearly more to him than the nayseers have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Can i judge him over a season and a half at Rangers? Hes a disaster waiting to happen.

My point is that he is our 4th choice CB. He was signed for this reason as backup. I would be very surprised if he was on anything over 30k a week. As I said my guess would be something between 20-25k. He was signed for 2 million pounds, I think this gives some indication of the role he was bought for, and I would've thought there is no way we can afford to sign a 4th choice CB and pay him 40k a week.

Also he's not a European Cup winner, not sure if that's relevant to the argument but I thought I'd just point it out

Just noticed that this thread got 2 posts in brfore going wildly off topic!

I agree OP, the subs should get kitted out in the dressing room and be ready to go straight away, that's what they're there for.

I remember Ronaldo used to come out onto the bench wearing ear-rings and everything. Ridiculous!

Also he's not a European Cup winner, not sure if that's relevant to the argument but I thought I'd just point it out

Agreed. My mistake, I didn't realise he missed Euro 2004.

However, trophies can, in some strange instances, be an indicator of a player's quality.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just noticed that this thread got 2 posts in brfore going wildly off topic!

I agree OP, the subs should get kitted out in the dressing room and be ready to go straight away, that's what they're there for.

I remember Ronaldo used to come out onto the bench wearing ear-rings and everything. Ridiculous!

Yes apologies I'll take some responsibility for that, just wanted to point out what I thought was an inaccuracy on the OP's part. There's no real way of knowing how much he's on so we'll agree to disagree but I would've thought most Pool fans would agree with me :P

Back on topic, I didn't see exactly how unprepared he was. He wouldn't have been expecting to come on so early but if he didn't have his shinpads or shirt on then I agree it's not professional at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

it seems to happen quite a lot nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Elano was a right sulk when he was on the bench for us. Used to sit there in runners and have no shirt or shinguards ready.

Used to piss me off when they zoomed in on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You don't remember how sh*t he was for Rangers then no?:eek:

flahavaj wrote: »
    You don't remember how sh*t he was for Rangers then no?:eek:

Yeah but defenders have a history of being rubbish in the SPL and then being World Beaters in the EPL

Just look at Jean-Alain Boum.......... no, scratch that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Firstly Kriagakos is definately not on 40k a week or anything close - he's not a high earner (relatively speaking),
    Most subs don't wear shin guards etc. and certainly don't expect to be called upon after about 5 minutes of the games kick off - think this is a fairly whingy reactionary thread tbh.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Firstly Kriagakos is definately not on 40k a week or anything close - he's not a high earner (relatively speaking),
    Most subs don't wear shin guards etc. and certainly don't expect to be called upon after about 5 minutes of the games kick off - think this is a fairly whingy reactionary thread tbh.

But one of the reasons for having subs on the bench is to bring them on to replace injured players.

So if a player gets injured and goes off the pitch, i think it's silly that the guy who is sitting on the bench for that very reason isn't ready to go on. If it takes him 5 mins to get ready, that's 5 mins where the team has 10 men and that's a long time in football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

To be honest I think the buck stops with the manager.

A manager should ensure that all his players who are on the bench are fully kitted out and ready to come on at 30 secs notice no matter what the time in the game.

That includes shin guards( I know they get ridiculously sweaty but still), shirt and boots and also all substitutes should be warming up regularly.

also a player who holds up play while being subbed on to remove jewelery should be refused entry to the pitch and fined and manager warned for allowing it to happen, its simple stuff!

To be honest I think the buck stops with the manager.

A manager should ensure that all his players who are on the bench are fully kitted out and ready to come on at 30 secs notice no matter what the time in the game.

That includes shin guards( I know they get ridiculously sweaty but still), shirt and boots and also all substitutes should be warming up regularly.

also a player who holds up play while being subbed on to remove jewelery should be refused entry to the pitch and fined and manager warned for allowing it to happen, its simple stuff!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think subs should be ready at momenst notice, that is what they are on the bench to do, provide cover should they be called upon, whether thats in the 70 min or after a couple of mins, granted it may take a minute to take off any extra layers, tops, bottoms but all this getting ready when your called upon is a joke, an injury can happen anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I remember redknapp saying before when we(spurs) where away at bolton in the last few minutes he looked at the bench to see three players with blankets pulled up sleeping on the bench thats terrible i'd take a gary neville who would be ready for action in a seconds notice and that'll go celebrate in front of opposition fans over those lads at least he's interested in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

they should defo be kitted out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

sure what about the milan derby

gattuso is booked and picks up and injury afterwards
    Leonardo looks to the subs and tells seedorf to get ready.
    the lad has flip flops on, no socks, shinguards or boots they have to delay the sub and in the mean time, gattuso is hobbling and makes a late tackle and gets booked again, red card

he went ballistic as he was going off

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xacp0q_gattuso-red-card-ac-milan-0-4-inter_sport

Advertisement