Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll to Help with Shooters PR - Number 2

Options
  • 24-11-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Following on from the earlier so-called "PR Poll no. 1" (which will stay running for the next two weeks to give as many shooters as possible the chance to cast their vote), the next step in gathering the research information to make some informed PR strategies is to find out how we actually see ourselves as shooters.

I know this might sound a bit odd - but before we can start to try and fix how others see us, we need to know a bit more about how we see ourselves. Does that make sense?!:D

So the idea here is to now try to find out how, as shooters, we view our own involvement and participation in our various shooting sports and activities.

This may not make a load of sense at first glance, but trust me, the more information the better.

And thanks to all the messages of support and offers of help / advice for this initiative so far! Much appreciated!:)

Thanks,

dCorbus

Which one option best describes your primary involvement in shooting sports? 90 votes

Hunter
    0% 0 votes
    Sportsman / Sportswoman
    16% 15 votes
    Athlete
    23% 21 votes
    Hobbyist / Fun Shooter / Plinker
    4% 4 votes
    Game Shooter
    7% 7 votes
    Conservationist
    10% 9 votes
    Outdoorsman / Outdoorswoman
    3% 3 votes
    Survivalist
    3% 3 votes
    Enthusiast
    0% 0 votes
    Professional (PDF only)
    3% 3 votes
    Professional (GS only)
    3% 3 votes
    Professional (Gamekeepers, Wildlife Control, etc.)
    0% 0 votes
    Vermin Controller
    0% 0 votes
    Precision Marksman / woman
    10% 9 votes
    Other (Please PM)
    14% 13 votes
    Voluntary Organiser/Administrator
    0% 0 votes
    Collector/Antiques Enthusiast
    0% 0 votes

Comments

Can you post a specimen answer? As I don't fully get what you are asking..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Poll up now! Thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just might want to add the 'volunteer' or 'voluntary organiser'/'administrator' category for those who don't actually participate in the sport but help run and organise it.

There are quite a few (not enough) who fall into this category which in other sports would make up a significant percentage of participants.

Think of the GAA 'mentor' or coach, rugby minis coach and even the tea makers that always seem to be forgotten until they don't turn up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You need to add another radio button for me to vote as I would class myself as a "Hunter and a Recreational Shooter". Meaning that I, as a lot of others would do, Hunt and spend as much time, if not more, shooting at targets on the range.

You need to add another radio button for me to vote as I would class myself as a "Hunter and a Recreational Shooter". Meaning that I, as a lot of others would do, Hunt and spend as much time, if not more, shooting at targets on the range.

Thanks Clivej.

I know this might be difficult for many of us - myself included as I take part in a couple of disciplines.

If at all possible, pick the one single option which best describes your own "primary motivation" (as the yanks might put it!:D).

As I hope you can appreciate that it would be nigh-on impossible to create a poll which covered every various combination of motivation / interest - so I have had to limit it to our Primary interest. If, as many of us do, you have a number of different interests and activities, pick the one which is "dearest to your heart", so to speak.:)

It's also mainly about how each of us perceives our own interest and motivation.

Hope that helps!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

I just voted enthusiast...

but what does that mean...?

I just voted enthusast...

but what does that mean...?

"Enthusiast": Noun
    S: (n) enthusiast (an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity)
    S: (n) enthusiast (a person having a strong liking for something)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

dCorbus wrote: »
    "Enthusiast": Noun
    S: (n) enthusiast (an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity)
    S: (n) enthusiast (a person having a strong liking for something)

Er...yes? but are we not all enthusiasts then??

Do you mean enjoy the sport but not so good enough to go competing...?

Well that might be me alright.

Thanks shannonpowerlab - a good point!
    but are we not all enthusiasts then??

By that definition we all are, I suppose:). But the real answer to the question is: How do you see yourself, as a shooter? And only you can answer that.
    Do you mean enjoy the sport but not so good enough to go competing

Not necessarily - Ability and / or Expertise as a shooter has nothing to do with this poll at all. In fact, it's irrelevant how good one is, coz if that was the case I'd be pressing the "hobbyist" button for myself!;)

Whether one competes is only relevant if that's how one see's ones own "primary" interest - If your own primary motivation is to compete, then great, that's part of your make-up as a shooter. If your own primary motivation has nothing to do with competing, then great also, that's also part of your make-up as a shooter.

To refer to my early post in response to clivej:
    If, as many of us do, you have a number of different interests and activities, pick the one which is "dearest to your heart", so to speak.smile.gif

It's also mainly about how each of us perceives our own interest and motivation.

That's about as clear as I can explain it in a brief posting. Hope that's of help!:o

Thanks for your input!:D

Bump!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Antiques collector? We still have to pay for licences, and the high calibres of pre-1880s firearms makes them restricted. Lots of antiques collectors who won't raise their heads and be counted.

Thanks Kowloon,

Do you actually shoot the antique firearms?
    If so, perhaps you would come under the "Enthusiast" category (based on my earlier post / definition)?

If not, I will try to get another category for "Collector / Antiques Enthusiast (Non-shooting)" added to the poll. I'm not sure this can be done, but I'll ask the MODS.

If this cannot be done - I have a record of your category anyway from this post.

Hope this is of some help!:D

dC

New categories added as requested!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Don't shoot them, no ammo produced in the last century :D.
    My modern guns are for shooting, although I would have loved to pick up a repro musket of some sort. The 3 gun limit and the extortionate fees have kind of ruled that out though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kowloon wrote: »
    ...........The 3 gun limit .......

Whats this 3 gun limit?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Good point, Ezridax
    Hadn't spotted that!
    Anyhoooo, let's not debate that here, please!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apologies, oh Great & Glorious Supreme Leader :D

(http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735177&page=4 Post 60)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ah, if only, Kamerad!:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

hunter, sportsman and conservationist.

I hunt, I shoot clays and spend a lot of time improving habitat etc
    could only tick 1

Hi Cavanshooter, thanks for that.
    Clivej already pointed this out and my earlier response was:
    I know this might be difficult for many of us - myself included as I take part in a couple of disciplines.

If at all possible, pick the one single option which best describes your own "primary motivation" (as the yanks might put it!biggrin.gif).

As I hope you can appreciate that it would be nigh-on impossible to create a poll which covered every various combination of motivation / interest - so I have had to limit it to our Primary interest. If, as many of us do, you have a number of different interests and activities, pick the one which is "dearest to your heart", so to speak.smile.gif

Hope that helps!biggrin.gif

So the Rule-of-Thumb on this: Pick the one dearest to your heart!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Temporarily stickied

This Poll also has now closed!

A Major Thank You to all who voted / posted in response to this.biggrin.gif
    It's great to get some information and feedback - It's interesting to see how we see ourselves!

Whilst the final number of votes is relatively low (91) considering the number of posters on here, this is totally understandable and appreciated. But thanks to all who viewed, posted, and voted on this!smile.gif

Gonna try and analyse these figures and information and see if we can get some sort of picture - despite the statistically low number of votes, we may be able to extrapolate some kind of overview - or so I'm hoping!biggrin.gif

So, again, a big thank you to all who contributed!biggrin.gif
    And "watch this space"biggrin.gif.

dC

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Unsticking thread now that the poll is closed.

Advertisement