Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Rangers V Stuttgart

• 24-11-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

Well this is a must win as far as hopes for any European football next season goes.

Interesting Rangers line up for tonight
    McGregor
    McCulloch Weir Wilson

Whittaker Davies Thomson Pacac

Miller Boyd Lafferty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That line up fills me with utter dread and yet real hope at the same time.

Could be a rolloercoaster evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I can see Rangers getting a gutsy draw tonight, but it's too little too late for their European hopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Looking for a comfortable Stuttgart win here.

0-1 ...Rangers a complete shambles in the opening 20 minutes.

0-1 HT

Rangers came back into it a little after the goal but apart from Boyd missing an absolute sitter, couldnt really create much.

Once again Danny Wilson is the highlight of our squad, great to see the young lad coming onto a game like this.

• Advertisement

Unirea up 1-0 against Sevilla.

Thats that then!

although im talking to myself ill keep doing it anyway

0-2. Worst team in the Champions League. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Looks like all of the scottish teams will be out of Europe before Christmas, not good for the coefficients in coming years. Two seasons ago Rangers were in the UEFA Cup final, Celtic in the last 16 of the Champions League and Aberdeen in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

Looks like all of the scottish teams will be out of Europe before Christmas, not good for the coefficients in coming years. Two seasons ago Rangers were in the UEFA Cup final, Celtic in the last 16 of the Champions League and Aberdeen in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

Scottish football has taken a nose dive in those two years to be honest dude.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Scottish football has taken a nose dive in those two years to be honest dude.

Yeah, from what I can see none of the squads of any team in the SPL have improved in the last 2 years.

• Advertisement

Yeah, from what I can see none of the squads of any team in the SPL have improved in the last 2 years.

Probably the opposite to be honest, Rangers financial plight is the obvious reason for our side and i suppose everyone else is having to tighten up too.

The Setanta Fiasco really kicked the SPL in the teeth also.

Its a dying league, if not already dead in terms of european football.

FT 0-2

Only McGregor and Wilson getting passmarks from this bear, if it wasnt for McGregor we could have been looking at 5 or 6.

Well done to Unirea theyve battled well in a group they were given no chance in. Showing both Rangers and Stuttgart how to do it, especially without the funding that you expect from the CL teams.

Probably the opposite to be honest, Rangers financial plight is the obvious reason for our side and i suppose everyone else is having to tighten up too.

The Setanta Fiasco really kicked the SPL in the teeth also.

Its a dying league, if not already dead in terms of european football.

Aberdeen are another good example of the situation, losing players like Barry Nicholson and Scott Severin to teams in the Championship on a free, because they cannot compete. Motherwell another example, losing good young players like Ross McCormack to the Championship again.

Anyway a shame for Rangers tonight, but the difference in quality was there to be seen tonight

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Who is Wilson? I'm seriously out of touch this season.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Who is Wilson? I'm seriously out of touch this season.

Danny Wilson, 17 year old centre half whos came in and played admirably since Boughie's shenanigans started about 6 weeks ago.

He's obviously still got a lot to learn, but he looks composed and hasnt put a foot wrong. Hes got a sweet left foot and can pick out a pass too.

Crusierweight: To think we let Ross McCormack go for free too! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

FT 0-2

Only McGregor and Wilson getting passmarks from this bear, if it wasnt for McGregor we could have been looking at 5 or 6.

Well done to Unirea theyve battled well in a group they were given no chance in. Showing both Rangers and Stuttgart how to do it, especially without the funding that you expect from the CL teams.
    :)
    back to the nitty gritty of the s p hell

poindexter wrote: »
    :)
    back to the nitty gritty of the s p hell

Scary isnt it, to think that a team who is unbeaten this season (27 i think consecutively) cant even get a shot on target at home to a team 3rd bottom of the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Seen some of the game tonight, very poor out of rangers. Only the two mentioned played anyway well. The stat at the end really astonished me rangers 3 shots and none on target, thats unbelievable for a home team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Whats the craic here then with the europa league, does the 4th placed team still not get offered a spot or has that changed?

• Advertisement

What :p

f_auwbnjm_1142466.jpg

seems very negative for a home team in fairness

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Danny Wilson, 17 year old centre half whos came in and played admirably since Boughie's shenanigans started about 6 weeks ago.

He's obviously still got a lot to learn, but he looks composed and hasnt put a foot wrong. Hes got a sweet left foot and can pick out a pass too.

Crusierweight: To think we let Ross McCormack go for free too! :o

Ahh... a centre half... what's one of those? I don't think we have any at the moment. :)

Whats the craic here then with the europa league, does the 4th placed team still not get offered a spot or has that changed?

Third place team into Europa League and fourth placed team are out

3rd gets it.

Edit: beaten to it!

Third place team into Europa League and fourth placed team are out

Thank you, I thought that but a desperate 'pool fan at work earlier assured me that the 4th placed teams get a whack at a playoff but I was a bit skeptical.

What :p
    :( ah well Instant Karma corrected it, some stats :D

The 4th place team never got a place in UEFA dude?

f_auwbnjm_1142466.jpg

Now that I can see it I can agree with you we were garbage but that's Scottish football for you now

The 4th place team never got a place in UEFA dude?

yea mate, thats what I thought but these wily liverpool fans try to catch me out :D

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with negativity, if we had been negative we would probably have came away with something!

But for some reason Smith has decided that this years CL was where to show off our attacking flair at home....i think hes finally gone senile.

Now that I can see it I can agree with you we were garbage but that's Scottish football for you now

True, scottish football can forget about seeding for a long time in europe.

Scottish football will be lucky to be seeded for QUALIFIERS at this rate buddy, its that bad.

I mentioned this in another thread, your best player tonight McGregor there's a rumor doing the rounds down south that Spurs are to take him on loan in Jan for the rest of the season. Any ye guys here this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Been harping on about this all season, next season excluded, it could be a long time before you will see a Scottish team in CL again. Scottish Football is in the absolute mire and starring in the abyss... Its such a shame to see. European nights at Celtic Park and Ibrox were always something to look forward to, now they are damp squib and a guaranteed result for the away side. Players of the quality required just aren't available, and the resources aren't there to replace the current squads with players of the required standard.

I mentioned this in another thread, your best player tonight McGregor there's a rumor doing the rounds down south that Spurs are to take him on loan in Jan for the rest of the season. Any ye guys here this one?

Heard it don't think it will happen

Now if they were to put in a good few million bid for him then who know's

• Advertisement

After this shambles tonight Broxi and the fact rangers will only take in about £1.5 m for there 3 points could you see them unloading McGregor, Bourr, Boyd and Davis in Jan. I reckon you could take in about £20 m or so.

Brewster wrote: »
    Been harping on about this all season, next season excluded, it could be a long time before you will see a Scottish team in CL again. Scottish Football is in the absolute mire and starring in the abyss... Its such a shame to see. European nights at Celtic Park and Ibrox were always something to look forward to, now they are damp squib and a guaranteed result for the away side. Players of the quality required just aren't available, and the resources aren't there to replace the current squads with players of the required standard.

Too right Brewster and with both sets of fans turning against the people running the clubs it will only get worst with falling gates and hardly any Tv money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You know your league is in trouble when people start mentioning coefficients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

[quote=Eirebear;
    Could be a rolloercoaster evening![/quote]

clearly it wasn't unless you're a stuttgart fan !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Celtic and rangers struggle to beat teams like falkirk and mcloving brothers II some weekends...

so not surprised they are struggling in Europe, if they were in the EPL, mid table at most they would do.

• Advertisement

Celtic and rangers struggle to beat teams like falkirk and mcloving brothers II some weekends...

so not surprised they are struggling in Europe, if they were in the EPL, mid table at most they would do.

You are right probably being generous with that even.
    But it comes down to money and IMO opinion not that it matters as we are never going to play in the EPL but when we if we were in it and started seeing the benefit of said money both clubs would rise up the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

98fm kept saying this morning that it finished 1-0

poindexter wrote: »
    98fm kept saying this morning that it finished 1-0

1 nil going on 5 or 6 if it wasnt for McGregor, one of few genuine quality players left in SPL.....

1 nil going on 5 or 6 if it wasnt for McGregor, one of few genuine quality players left in SPL.....

you my friend are comical

Sheepy99 wrote: »

He is tell us all what's so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

There's a reason why people have left Celtic and Rangers out of footie accumulators....

for a few months now in fact. :rolleyes:

He's right.
    There's a reason why people have left Celtic and Rangers out of footie accumulators....

for a few months now in fact. :rolleyes:

Because the rest of scottish football has significantly improved, making it a lot harder for the old firm to win their games? ;)

I have my moments ok, often told I am great laugh, but I fail to see how my comment was comical?! Rangers got a doing last night, and if it wasn't for their keeper they would have lost 5 or 6 nil. I would think anyone who watched game would have come to same conclusion??

that it what i found comical.:)

that it what i found comical.:)

Ok, good to clear that up so! Well its a matter of footballing opinion then?! Id say there are not many SPL players that could play in the premiership, but what I have seen of McGregor recently he certainly could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement