Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online buying

Options
  • 24-11-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

just wondering how many people buy there guns online, any pros, where do ye buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Well...you know,

Shop will send you the information on the gun by post to attach it to the license application...

You still have to go in person to pick it up with the license issued by Garda...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

out of interest how would it work with an overseas seller

Messy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Whether its through a dealer or privately you must have the firearm shipped directly to a dealer.

Get the serial number of the firearm you wish to import. apply for a license for the firearm. With your license, apply to your Super for an Article 7. With your license and Article 7 have a designated dealer apply for an import license. Once all these are got then the manufacturer/seller will ship the firearm (on confirmation of payment and import license) to your dealer. The dealer then holds the firearm until you produce you license to him and you take away your firearm. Simples.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Whether its through a dealer or privately you must have the firearm shipped directly to a dealer.

Get the serial number of the firearm you wish to import. apply for a license for the firearm. With your license, apply to your Super for an Article 7. With your license and Article 7 have a designated dealer apply for an import license. Once all these are got then the manufacturer/seller will ship the firearm (on confirmation of payment and import license) to your dealer. The dealer then holds the firearm until you produce you license to him and you take away your firearm. Simples.

Well...Yes you are perfectly right. If you knew how...:o But do you not have to know the logistics of firearms import procedure...? no? Like who is authorised to transport it and arrange pick-up and pay the additional carriage and insurance blah blah...?

• Advertisement

A rule that (sometimes) works is try not to buy from an individual unless you have gone to the place/country the gun is in and inspected the firearm yourself. You can do the license and article 7 yourself but from my own experience i use a dealer for the import stage. After saying that i bought new from a manufacturer not second hand or from an individual (put it down to trust, both in the person and firearm).

Buying from a manufacturer is always the easiest (although not always the way people want to go). I rang the manufacturer myself and spoke to someone. Far better results than e-mail or post. The dealer took care of the importing/transport (with the aid of the manufacturer) on my behalf so no headache there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Sure enough the thing to do is to buy it directly form the manufacturer...

You do get it exact to your specification though there is not really a cost benefit is there...?

I thought the chap who started the thread was concerned about the cost...?

what are the best irish sites i just want to get a rough idea of prices before going to look at them

One I use is www.irishguntrader.ie

or you can also look for a dealer nearest to you on the www.irishgundealer.ie

But when you come to the decision you really should call into a shop. They are really nice. Dress smart and call in. There is a shop on main street in Cork city. They used to display guns at the back counter but now I think they put it away in a secure room.

The selection of websites for irish dealers is .....well......poor. I think there are 4 or 6 online and only a small selection of firearms are advertised. For savings consider going up North, even with the exchange rate you can still save money, plus you can see a larger selection including second hand firearms and as its only a drive an Article 7 is all thats required (nearly sure on that).

You can import from outside the EU but then you are open to custom rates and VAT (combined they run at about 25%). I have never bought from places such as Egun or other online firearm sellers so it may be worth your while to ring them. I can't stress the importance of a phonecall. You can get all the necessary info (price, vat, customs, shipping, paperwork, etc) to make an informed decision.

Best advice still, i think, is to shop around. Its a buyers market at the moment. Dealers will barter with you to keep the sale and although you may pay a bit more here (alot more on some items) you cut out the need for Article 7s, import licenses, shippoing, etc.

Try the following sites for prices,

www.shoot.ie
    www.sportsden.ie
    www.fingalsport.ie
    www.lakelandguns.com
    www.eastcoastdogandgun.ie
    www.thegunandtackleshop.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For general and hunting stuff, it's probably better to shop local. For the more esoteric stuff like ISSF, you've got a very limited choice of dealers who'll even carry the stuff here (I only know of two). Most of us tend to buy either through them or direct from abroad.

Wow. Sportsden has the widest price range I have ever seen...!

thanks for the advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A couple of years ago I bought two rifles from Scotland. No problems with the legal side but the delivery charge I was quoted was over €300 :eek:. In the end I flew over and the dealer delivered the rifles and myself to the airport, total cost not much over €100.

Advertisement