Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling Up While Engine Is Still running?

• 24-11-2009 9:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering can you throw petrol into the car while its still running??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its illegal here, so legally no.

I don't think there's any reason why it'd damage the engine, I think its just explosion risk. I wouldn't risk it...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Looking for a quick get away ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

R_H_C_P wrote: »

Why in God's name,would you wanna do it ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

work away, why waste your time turning off the car, only to have to turn it back on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I do it the whole time, engine is nearly always running when I fill up..

Never knew it was illegal..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

give it a go and get someone to film it from a distance and after the boom get them to post the clip up on theync

"DANGEROUS SUBSTANCES (RETAIL AND PRIVATE PETROLEUM STORES) REGULATIONS, 1979.", SI 311/1979 if you're really bored and want to see what makes it illegal. Wonders of google for finding the boards thread where that was brought up before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

What petrol station do you use? As in, whereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Diesel would be safe enough, petrol would be a no-no.
    If you spill petrol and it gets on the exhaust, it could ignite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

triple-M wrote: »
    give it a go and get someone to film it from a distance and after the boom get them to post the clip up on theync

Your watching way too many movies.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭bananabunch

I did it once, in my old Polo, the car had to be scrapped a few months after but then the car was 16 years old at the time ;) Couldn't do it in my new car as the key used to open the petrol cap would be in my ignition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This would be the reason why it's generally thought to be a bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Standard safety procedure afaik.

The real risk is minimal - think about it - there are people driving all over the forecourt all the time.

With regards to your engine - the tank isn't pressurized so it would make no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I like to use a hairdryer while taking a shower.
    Trust, me it really saves time, you should try it some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Have seen it happen loads of time, and never seen a flame!!

Used to work in a petrol station and it would happen don't do it myself. Can't imagine it would actually damage the engine still fuel going in at the end of the day.

Its the same as the myth of using a phone while driving.
    Creating static electricity would be more dangerous by getting in and out of the car.

Strange question OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

633495980045368026-darwin.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's perfectly safe, bazz26.

(as long as the pool is filled with distilled water and the men don't sweat too much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do it the whole time, engine is nearly always running when I fill up.
    Will you leave the car running while you go inside and pay too? Maybe you're in a village without joyriders :p

I often do it, I dont feel the need to be turning on and off the car everytime I fill up.

I think it would be best practice for turbo cars on long journeys also, people just pull in and turn them straight off, no wonder there are so many turbos failing.

I do the same with tractors, of the countless times I have filled tractors with diesel I have had them turned off less than 10% of the time I would estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Magnus wrote: »
    Will you leave the car running while you go inside and pay too? Maybe you're in a village without joyriders :p

Self service pumps, no need to go inside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Unless you are splashing petrol under the bonnet or leaning under the car and spraying petrol on the hot exhaust (which is always on the other side to the petrol cap)...

...its fine.

As for the hot exhaust thing, its still going to be red hot for a few minutes even if you turn off the engine.

No risk in my opinion. Better to save your turbo if you have somebody else who will sit in the car while you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Chief--- wrote: »
    Unless you are splashing petrol under the bonnet or leaning under the car and spraying petrol on the hot exhaust ...

errrmmm ...petrol fumes ...ignition ...high voltage sparks and all that?

admittedly the risk is minimal, but it does exist.

I'd still reckon it would be safer to let your turbo spool down (if necessary) in the forecourt away from the pumps, rather than keep the engine running while filling up, particularly with petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

peasant wrote: »
    This would be the reason why it's generally thought to be a bad idea

Although F1 fuel is remarkably similar to normal gasoline isn't the deliver system highly pressurised resulting in any leak being turned into a potent gas vapour? Which would be the perfect substance for ignition on a hot engine? A engine that revs more then 4 times more than a normal engine and produces way more heat?

Just off the top of my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

spadder wrote: »
    Diesel would be safe enough, petrol would be a no-no.
    If you spill petrol and it gets on the exhaust, it could ignite.

The exhaust would be hot anyway, even with the engine turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Throw is definitely the operative word, if you are far enough away you should be fine. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Chief--- wrote: »
    ......spraying petrol on the hot exhaust (which is always on the other side to the petrol cap)...

Always opposite the petrol cap:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

There is no difference to having your car running while filling than having a car drive past you to a different pump. That car driving past you to the next pump has an ignition system, an exhaust etc. Next people will want everyone to stop pumping at every pump while any vehicle is moving on the forecourt!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Always opposite the petrol cap:confused:
    Even with exhausts on both sides? e.g. M5

• Registered Users Posts: 32 semajnayr

I live in Dubai. Very few turn the engine off while filling, particularly in summer. Yet to see any forecourt explosions.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SomeDude

There is more danger of something like this happening:

That just shows you how dangerous listening to Wham can be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I really don't see a problem with it from a practical perspective. The exhaust back box/tailpipe doesn't get anywhere near petrol ignition temperatures, it's on the opposite side anyway. From the perspective of everyone clucking their tongues around you it might seem dangerous though. Chances are it's just as dangerous as using your phone in a petrol forecourt. Nothing will happen.

It's more fuel efficient to just turn the engine off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I've done this while talking on the mobile also!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Try it while smoking too OP.... FOR SCIENCE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Just pray there isn't a tanker in refilling the station.;)

I'm not sold one way or the other on this. But I always switch my engine off and take the key out wouldn't want anyone nicking my car.

Oh by the way the fire in the video was started by someone smoking whilst refilling !!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've had the fuel line between the tap and carbs on my bike split before dumping petrol onto the engine while running, no problems. Normal engines don't get hot enough to ignite petrol. As cuddlesworth said if you look at that F1 clip you can see how much pressure is in that line by the way it sprays, big difference between that and your average car filling up on a forecourt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

when your filling and you get to the top and air needs to escape from the bottom of the tank could this not get in and damage the engine with an airlock or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bazzy wrote: »
    when your filling and you get to the top and air needs to escape from the bottom of the tank could this not get in and damage the engine with an airlock or something?

no

corktina wrote: »
    no

it would just stop...engines dont run on air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Reminds me of a taxi driver I seen last Friday. He filled the running car with petrol as he talked away on his mobile ,all he was short of doing was lighting up a fag :eek:

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    it would just stop...engines dont run on air

thats if it was even possible of course...which it isnt.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Reminds me of a taxi driver I seen last Friday. He filled the running car with petrol as he talked away on his mobile ,all he was short of doing was lighting up a fag :eek:
    What surprises me more is that it was a petrol taxi!

kbannon wrote: »
    What surprises me more is that it was a petrol taxi!
    Pretty sure it was a petrol, sounded to quiet too be a diesel anyway. Late 90's Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

i was in edenderry getting diesel one scorching hot day last year when a pontiac firebird pulled in and the guy started filling up you could smell the petrol in the air the car was ticking over .i made some comment "it,ll never get full if you leave it ticking over like that"
    all i got was a sneer,anyway to top it off his 10 year old son was sitting in the car,
    i got out of dodge fairly quickly.

he talked away on his mobile

It has been proven long ago that talking on a phone while filling petrol being dangerous is a myth.

It has been proven long ago that talking on a phone while filling petrol being dangerous is a myth.
    So the warning signs are there for the fun of it :rolleyes:

No, they're there because it was once believed to be a risk. Believe me, its not.

MYOB wrote: »
    No, they're there because it was once believed to be a risk. Believe me, its not.
    Why don't they get rid of the warning signs :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Why don't they get rid of the warning signs :confused:

baaaaaah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Can you provide any evidence that there is a danger? There have been lots and lots of tests done and no danger has been found! If you google it you will find that you are more likely to set fire to yourself and the petrol station getting in and out of the car by static electricity than a mobile phone. Too many people believe that because a little sign says its dangerous, that it has to be. And there are engines running on forecourts all the time, with cars coming and going, how come these dont burst into flames? Should we turn off our engines down the road and push the cars in and out of the station?

• Advertisement
Advertisement