Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling Up While Engine Is Still running?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Lucifer wrote: »
    Can you provide any evidence that there is a danger? There have been lots and lots of tests done and no danger has been found! If you google it you will find that you are more likely to set fire to yourself and the petrol station getting in and out of the car by static electricity than a mobile phone. Too many people believe that because a little sign says its dangerous, that it has to be. And there are engines running on forecourts all the time, with cars coming and going, how come these dont burst into flames? Should we turn off our engines down the road and push the cars in and out of the station?
    Jeez I just presumed the sign was correct, my mistake. And part of the engine running warning is to prevent people from driving off with the nozzle still in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

cnocbui wrote: »
    I like to use a hairdryer while taking a shower.
    Trust, me it really saves time, you should try it some time.

Post of the day tbh, bloody hilarious! :D:D:D Lol'd out loud and all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

spadder wrote: »
    Diesel would be safe enough, petrol would be a no-no.
    If you spill petrol and it gets on the exhaust, it could ignite.

Petrol needs a spark to ignite
    you can throw a lit cigerette in a pool of petrol and it will just go out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

NedKelly wrote: »
    Petrol needs a spark to ignite
    you can throw a lit cigerette in a pool of petrol and it will just go out

Before someone tells you your wrong and how dangerous it is http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/feb/27/smoking.film

And thats scientists doing the test, not someones brothers friends uncle said it happened to them.

Sure how often do people spill petrol on the lawnmower exhaust(hot) when filling it. I know its happened me countless times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Jeez I just presumed the sign was correct, my mistake. And part of the engine running warning is to prevent people from driving off with the nozzle still in the tank.

I was at the air pump checking my tyres one day, when I suddenly heard a loud bang from the forecourt area. A taxi driver drove off with the nozzle still in the tank :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why don't they get rid of the warning signs :confused:

Because that takes effort. Pointless effort, there'd be nothing gained by taking it down. And I'd expect its an integral part of the standard template with the "no under 15, no smoking, no running engine" warnings too, so it'd cost money to replace them.

Also, I'd expect the stations would prefer you aren't distracted talking on the phone and piss fuel all over the forecourt. While that may be 'free money' for them, that *is* a danger.

I was at the air pump checking my tyres one day, when I suddenly heard a loud bang from the forecourt area. A taxi driver drove off with the nozzle still in the tank :o
    It happens quite a lot, and of course it can be very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

As a teen i worked in a garage with a Liquefied petroleum gas pump that had to be screwed onto the cars that used it. A taxi man pulled in one day and connected the nozzle to his car but forgot to remove it after paying and drove off taking a 8foot piece of hose with him down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

It has been proven long ago that talking on a phone while filling petrol being dangerous is a myth.
    So the warning signs are there for the fun of it :rolleyes:
    MYOB wrote: »
    No, they're there because it was once believed to be a risk. Believe me, its not.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Because that takes effort. Pointless effort, there'd be nothing gained by taking it down. And I'd expect its an integral part of the standard template with the "no under 15, no smoking, no running engine" warnings too, so it'd cost money to replace them.

Also, I'd expect the stations would prefer you aren't distracted talking on the phone and piss fuel all over the forecourt. While that may be 'free money' for them, that *is* a danger.

Talking on a mobile phone while filling your car is only dangerous because you will be more interested in your conversation than on filling your car.

Have you ever spilt petrol all over yourself? It is quite toxic (in large amounts) if you do not wash it off.

I day when I was paying for my petrol, a woman came into the petrol station after getting petrol all over herself. She was giving out to the poor cashier for not stoping the pump - she said that she was clearly busy talking on the phone, and the cashier should have stoped the pump when her car was full. :confused:

So, no - it will not start a fire.
    But, it will distract you.

As a teen i worked in a garage with a Liquefied petroleum gas pump that had to be screwed onto the cars that used it. A taxi man pulled in one day and connected the nozzle to his car but forgot to remove it after paying and drove off taking a 8foot piece of hose with him down the road.
    Sounds dangerous but must have looked hilarious at the time :D

Advertisement