Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on more strikes...Public SERVANTS ONLY!

Options
  • 24-11-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Calling public servants only! How are you all feeling about more strike days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

unhappy, a bit irritated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm not a union member so I won't be going on strike. The situation today in my office was that my co-workers were required to provide emergency cover, which means they basically had to do about 80% of a normal days work and lost a days pay. I'm not sure how that will work out for non-union members who were also working today. It was physically impossible to do the other 20% due to the strike on the other end, so to speak. I happened to be on a rest day so it didn't affect me.

In my opinion, these strikes will achieve nothing. Cuts need to be made, end of. Union bosses know their game is up, and the world has moved on, and their influence is waning. They don't represent me and as far as I can see, that is the general consensus amongst my colleagues.

I joined IMPACT when I began working in the public sector, not on principle or anything like that, just because I was "invited" to and I didn't want to be seen to be rocking the boat as a newbie. After a few years of sending about €25 a month towards Peter McLoone's €170k a year, I decided to tell them to shove it. I'm a big boy and I can stand up for myself if needs be, which is unlikely since I do my job well and work hard and I'm a reasonable man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm in CPSU and we weren't balloted for todays strike.

I doubt we will be balloted again as they said we voted for industrial action upto and including strike action.

There are rumours that us lower paid could be hit with 2%. There is no point striking for 2%. I think we should wait and see what is in the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smurff

Absurdum, in summary is it fair to say your views on any additional strike days, even though you are a non striking member of the public service, are negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

smurff wrote: »
    Absurdum, in summary is it fair to say your views on any additional strike days, even though you are a non striking member of the public service, are negative?

Indeed. I happened to be present when one of the union leaders was giving his spiel to canvass for a yes vote in the ballot for industrial action - you'd swear the government were going to cut our pay by 90% and force us to work 100 hours a week by the way he was ranting on and on. I would have laughed were the consequences not so serious. But sure he got his majority and he can go and brown-nose his superiors in the union and maybe one day he'll get his slice of the pie (on top of his senior civil service salary :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Most of the staff i work with did not want to strike and there was alot of talk about what will happen if we don't strike etc.

There is no appetite at all for a long strike. Each day we strike we lose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Although I don't like not getting paid for the time off, at least I can offset the deduction by shopping up North for Christmas

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No, seriously. There's no shortage of threads on the topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement