Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve efficiency of gas central heating

Options
  • 24-11-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have an apartment with an immergas non condensing combination boiler providing heating and hot water. I use the boiler all year round for hot water. A honeywell programmable controller controls the heating. I notice in the winter when the heating is on that the bedrooms are boiling while the open plan living area takes ages to get warm.

To make the boiler more efficient is it possible to create two different zones without big expense so as not to waste heating the bedrooms while we are in the living area? I am a novice at this so please excuse the basic question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you don't have thermostatic rad valves in the bedrooms, turn off the valves and then turn them on a half turn, or less, to get them barely heating.
    You can get all kind of controls, but this will cost you nothing and actually save some money. You don't need a lot of heat in the bedrooms, why waste gas.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

If you get the bedrooms switched off the main room should get warm much quicker. Zoning might involve a new programmer which would be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Check the SEI web site,they have grants for upgrading heating controls.
    You can get a nice dual zone controller with wireless'boiler relay.
    Also, a must TRV on radiators...
    More info re configs if you want on pm or i can make them public here if ok.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It should also be said that TRV's should be fitted to the CORRECT side of the radiator!
    They must be on on the return side of the radiator!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

10-10-20 wrote: »
    It should also be said that TRV's should be fitted to the CORRECT side of the radiator!
    They must be on on the return side of the radiator!

Not always true. See the Myson brochure where they are 2 way (can go on either side) (http://www.myson.co.uk/downloads/TRV.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement