Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

please does any one have info on rent tax relief? thanks

• 24-11-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

can any one please help? i am currently renting a apartment since Feb 09 (its now Nov 09) and recently applied for rent relief from tax office and got a tax credit cert bk saying €400 tax rent relief, wat do i do now? do i get a cheque bk dated? in my account? do i just get tax credits? sorry im really confused. thanks a mil :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

nicola1987 wrote: »
    can any one please help? i am currently renting a apartment since Feb 09 (its now Nov 09) and recently applied for rent relief from tax office and got a tax credit cert bk saying €400 tax rent relief, wat do i do now? do i get a cheque bk dated? in my account? do i just get tax credits? sorry im really confused. thanks a mil :):):)

Hiya,

You'll have gotten additional tax credits, as your claim is in an ongoing tax year. Revenue can only give you refunds for previous years. Your employer should backdate your tax credit cert though, and you'll get a refund of the previous 11 months worth of rent tax credits, and will pay less tax then going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nicola1987

hey thanks a mill 4 ur reply i really appriciate it, i have just one more qestion sorry, so does that mean my employer should give me cash bk for the past 11 months? do i have to let them know or would the tax office already have informed them? thank u soooo much for your help im sry im just so confused n want to get it sorted a.s.a.p:D:D:D thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Your employer should have received an updated tax deduction card, with your new credits on it, but I would make him/her aware of it just in case they forget or have not received it.

You will get the tax you have over paid ( as a result of the increase in tax credits) back in the form of wage/pay. It will be added to your wage once the pay roll system is updated with your new credits.

thank you sooo much for your help i really appriciate it.
    :)

this prob sounds stupid but is tax free money isnt it? r do u get taxed on it? ahhh im so thick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Its not tax free, but its to balance out the tax that has been taken vs the tax that should have been taken.

eg.. (not using proper figures, but just giving example of how it works)

Tax taken to date : €3000.00
    Extra credit of € 400.00 (11months): € 360.00

Tax that should have been take €2640.00

next weeks wages: say €350 take home normally will now be €710 (€350+€360) .

Hope that kind of clears it up for you.

tanx a mill i understand now:D
    ur a life saver thank u sooo much:D

Advertisement