Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I teach kitty NOT to bite!

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Kitty is five months old. Lovely pleasant thing but with a tendancy to bite, when playing mostly. She rarely puts out the claws, but is content to 'gnaw' on preferably, fingers!

Never had a kitty before so not sure what to do or if it's normal. She eats crunchy dry food and has toys to chew on if that helps..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My cat does this too.. she'll start licking and then bites. Its always when she wants something. I found as mine got older she got better. if she bit or scratched one of us we put her out of the room and that is very effective: she knows if she bites she won't get what she wants!!! Also plenty of toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hope it's oky to repost, kitty now has sharper teeth and uses them...while i understand she is still playful and gnaws away at things, she bites anytime now...she has lots of toys but goes for fingers

I've only ever had dogs and they were okay to train, but with kitty Im clueless..others in the house had read that a single clap when she does something bad (jump on the kitchen table for example) should deter it but nothig works..what works? Clapping doesn't, a light tip on the nose doesn't, a stern voice neither..am i being too cluelessly optimistic? It's becoming a bit of a problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

This might work, or not, but when my lot jump on the kitchen table or bite too hard when playing i gently blow a quick short breath in their face and it stops them in their tracks. just enough to get their attention and get my hands away while they are distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'll try it! I've read about the squirting water at them, but my kitty puts her paws out the the dash of water (she loves water, she lets the utility tap water run all over her so that's a prob!) and the lemon smelling claening agents on surface tops, but I don;t want the house to stink of lemons all the time...all advice appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Im more use to dogs too but this year got my first kitten
    I had this pressurized air duster that came as a free gift with my computer.
    It has a fine nozzle and lets out a little blast of air while giving off a hissing sound.
    My kitten only had to hear it hiss and he would stop whatever he was doing.

He use to think it was great fun to go under my desk and bite the cables he found in there while I was on my computer.
    I would chase him away but I think the behaviour was a way to get my attention back on him and get a bit of a thrill at the same time. He loved it.
    Nothing worked untill one day I blew some air at him. I think the hissing sound is a bit like a cat giving out and its the only thing he listened to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement