Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32 Marathon Challenge

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if any of you have heard of this but it's something I'd hoped to do a couple of years down the line, sadly, I've been beaten to it. Ken Whitelaw and Gerry Duffy are aiming to run 32 marathons in 32 days, one in every county starting in July next year.

http://www.32marathons.com/index.php

They're looking for 32 runners to accompany them for each one running either a half or full marathon each.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Cheers RQ. Think I might register for one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

There was a mention of this on the Matt Cooper show (TodayFM) about an hour ago. Ambitious is an understatement I reckon! Fair play though.

Do ye reckon it's physically possible to achieve this? They would surely be in a horrific state after several days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pudgey22

I'd love to do one but you have to raise €1000 to do the full and €600 to do the half. It's a bit much to be begging a grand from family and friends!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fizman wrote: »
    There was a mention of this on the Matt Cooper show (TodayFM) about an hour ago. Ambitious is an understatement I reckon! Fair play though.

Do ye reckon it's physically possible to achieve this? They would surely be in a horrific state after several days?

Depends how they prepare for it doesn't it and pace etc...as I said I had the idea in my head myself, not an original one but adapted from Dean Karnazes Endurance 50 where he did 50 marathons in 50 days across the 50 states. With the right preperation 32/32 is definitely doable, a lot less travelling than Karnazes had to do between marathons aswell. I'd love to take part in one of them especially as funds go to my charity but as has been said 1000 is a lot to ask of friend and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

There is no magical mystery to running a marathon per day. It'd make for a rather dull, but possibly effective, ultra distance training regime.

Those lads are certainly going about things in the right way, and raising tons of money for charity along the way. I hope things go swimmingly for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gduffy

Hi Guys

Gerry Duffy here, one of the organisers of this challenge. I really appreciate the kind comments that you have made.

Ken and I have spent a year planning this challenge and yesterday we announced our intentions to run the 32 marathons next summer, starting on July 03rd.

We are very mindful of asking people to raise funds for charity, particularly in the current climate. We do however have a range of ideas on the site of fund raising tips to help people if they need it and also people have plenty of time to raise the required figures.

In order to help us fill this FUN event we have enlisted the support of some well known faces from the business, music and sporting world. We are overwhelmed by the committment that these people have offered indeed a number have said they will run with us. Already Keith Duffy (no relation) and Brian Kennedy have said they will run the full marathon distance with us the first day in Dublin.

Any support is greatly appreciated guys so thanks again.

Best regards

GD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Good causes and a great challenge.

Let the Mods here know if we can help in any way and we'll do what we can :)

Good causes and a great challenge.

Let the Mods here know if we can help in any way and we'll do what we can :)

Hi Amadeus

Many thanks for your kind offer. Will def get back to you on that. Also have dropped a sep email to hello@ email address.

GD

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Best of luck, Gerry, this is a great challenge.

I would love to do it but can't as i simply don't have enough holidays days, nothing to do with my capabilites of running 32 * 26.2 back to back, that's a piece of cake:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

The very best of luck with this guys!!

You've gotta put a lot of prep work into that and this element can be tougher/ more time consuming than the event itself.

Last year i ran 7 marathons in 6 days for charity. The biggest thing that will make or break you is to have a real capable support team surrounding you. Cabin fever can set in so 'apologise' before you start to eveyone because they will make mistakes and it will get under your skin. And I'm a placid fella....

eh..Don't share a room with someone who snore's....
    There are lots of rediculous things i could mention. If you like PM me and I'll give you a low down.

I'll be keeping an eye on how you go....

Fair play to ye's!!!!

• Advertisement

Tk for the tips and support.

Yeah have a lot of prep work done in this regard but no matter what, it will be one day at a time literally come the 03rd July.

We had an athletes launch in my home town of Mullingar on friday night and it went fantastic. The response thus far has been amazing. Indeed we have been offered some brilliant sponsorship from a number of companies, details of which we will post shortly.

We were fortunate to have Eamon Coughlan came down and speak about the event on our behalf. That man has been truly fantastic for us over the past 3 weeks with advice, tips as well as coming to two functions for us.

He is an absolute legend.

Will put up a clip of the launch on website during the week (www.32marathons.com)

GD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Rather than have two of these on the go at the same time I've moved the last post to teh other thread and I'm closing this one...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement