Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10-20 breed of dogs in Ireland?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all,

I was having an interesting conversation about grooming in ireland and something struck me, perhaps the type of dogs that typically get groomed aren't popular in ireland. Just a question - does anyone know where to find out what the top 10 or 20 breed of dogs are in ireland? a government website, dog breeding website, or something?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

you could set a poll up on here maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

we have a Bichon pup and eveytime we go to our groomers or into the store they seem to have a bichon frisé so they must be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Don't know how accurate this is cos I haven't seen many American Eskimo Dogs in Ireland, however here is the link I found:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_most_popular_breeds_of_canines_in_Ireland

The most popular breeds of dogs in Ireland are:
    • American Eskimo Dog
    • Chinese Shar-Pei
    • English Springer Spaniel
    • Glen of Imaal Terrier
    • Irish American Tail Waggers (originated in the Emerald Isle)
    • Irish Setter (originated in Ireland and the most popular)
    • Irish Terrier
    • Irish Water Spaniel (rare breed and a native to Ireland)
    • Irish Wolfhound
    • Kerry Blue Terrier (National Dog of Ireland)
    • Labrador Retriever (top 3 most popular breeds)
    • Presa Canaro
    • Siberian Husky
    • Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
    • Weimaraner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lrushe wrote: »
    Don't know how accurate this is...

I think that one
    Irish American Tail Waggers (originated in the Emerald Isle)
    is a bit of a give-away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Don't know how accurate this is cos I haven't seen many American Eskimo Dogs in Ireland, however here is the link I found:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_most_popular_breeds_of_canines_in_Ireland

• American Eskimo Dog
    • Chinese Shar-Pei
    • Glen of Imaal Terrier
    • Irish Terrier
    • Irish Wolfhound
    • Presa Canaro
    • Siberian Husky
    • Weimaraner

THe fact that on that same page it says this should also indicate that its a load of nonsense.:

DOGS THAT HAVE BEEN BANNED IN IRELAND:
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    • English Pit Bull Terrier
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Doberman Pinscher
    • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    The reason behind the ban on the above breeds are too many incidences with aggressive behavior and also biting people (especially children.)
    bull mastiffs,pit bulls,akitas are popular breeds in ireland and the german shepard and rottweiler are in the top 5 most popular dogs in ireland.

Then why aren't they in the top breeds further up the page?:confused:

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    THe fact that on that same page it says this should also indicate that its a load of nonsense.:

DOGS THAT HAVE BEEN BANNED IN IRELAND:
    • English Pit Bull Terrier
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Doberman Pinscher
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    The reason behind the ban on the above breeds are too many incidences with aggressive behavior and also biting people (especially children.)
    bull mastiffs,pit bulls,akitas are popular breeds in ireland and the german shepard and rottweiler are in the top 5 most popular dogs in ireland.

Then why aren't they in the top breeds further up the page?:confused:

as you probably know ISDW they arent actually banned - just restricted in case anyone else reading this didn't realise and got worried

Paul91 wrote: »
    as you probably know ISDW they arent actually banned - just restricted in case anyone else reading this didn't realise and got worried

Sorry, I wasn't clear, thats why its a load of nonsense:D

I would love to know if there any American Eskimo dogs anywhere in Ireland though. I got two brothers in once that I thought were Greenland dogs, but the chances of them ending up in a pound in Ireland I think are probably non existent.

Top Ten in the UK 2008

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/5675/2007-2008-Top-20.pdf

1 Retreiver (Labrador) 45,233
    2 Spaniel (Cocker) 22,508
    3 Spaniel (English Springer) 14,899
    4 German Shepherd (Alsation) 11,903
    5 Cavalier Kings Charles Spaniel 11,226
    6 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 10,744
    7 Retriever (Golden) 9,159
    8 Border Terrier 9,145
    9 Boxer 7,353
    10 West Highland Terrier 7,330

the figures up to 20 are on the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I know this is off-topic but I wish the owners of some of these breeds would remember that they are restricted. In the past two weeks there have been 4 pit bulls and a bull mastiff (all owned by different people) running around unmuzzled and unleashed in the local park. I wouldn't mind them being off the leash as long as they were muzzled

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know its the law Ghost, but do you think they are all going to attack/bite just because they are on the restricted list? :confused:
    Its a shame that these poor doggies must be muzzled and unless i get stopped by a warden i will never put a muzzle on my fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

ide say the westie and bichon would be higher up on the list as previous thought. they seem to be more popular than labs and alsatians god only knows why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

• American Eskimo Dog
    • Chinese Shar-Pei
    • Glen of Imaal Terrier
    • Irish Terrier
    • Irish Wolfhound
    • Presa Canaro
    • Siberian Husky
    • Weimaraner

This just proves that anyone with half a brain cell can write utter trollop in wiki pages.

Where are the Westies, the Golden Retrievers, the Border Collies, the "normal" collies, the Jack Russells, the Shetland Sheepdogs?

And the banned list??? As for restrictions, what are they and how are they controlled. When my sister had her Rottweiler, there weren't any restrictions enforced on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

• American Eskimo Dog
    • Chinese Shar-Pei
    • Glen of Imaal Terrier
    • Irish Terrier
    • Irish Wolfhound
    • Presa Canaro
    • Siberian Husky
    • Weimaraner
    no westie yorkie or king charles in there. i wouldnt say that accurate tbh

Restricted Dog Breeds in Ireland

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 specify 10 breeds which need strict control.
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Doberman Pinscher
    • English Bull Terrier
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    Every other strain or cross-breed of these dogs are also covered.

These dogs must be securely muzzled and kept on a dog chain or leash. not more than 2m long, in a public place and supervised by someone aged over 16 years who is capable of controlling the dog.

http://www.ispca.ie/Restricted-Dog-Breeds.aspx

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html

came in force in 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i am sure the list is wrong for a start there are more border collies in ireland.i think those lists are for pedigree dogs KC reg,and not working dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

According to a book on amazon..

1. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    2. Labrador Retriever
    3. West Highland White Terrier
    4. Boxer
    5. Yorkshire Terrier
    6. Labrador Retriever (why twice???)
    7. Golden Retriever
    8. German Shepard Dog
    9. English Springer
    10. Beagle

Source

As to how true it is, I dunno, but it seems a bit more plausible?
    The Wiki answers one has a note on it saying the list provided is not true.

star-pants wrote: »
    According to a book on amazon..

1. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    2. Labrador Retriever
    3. West Highland White Terrier
    4. Boxer
    5. Yorkshire Terrier
    6. Labrador Retriever (why twice???)
    7. Golden Retriever
    8. German Shepard Dog
    9. English Springer
    10. Beagle

Source

As to how true it is, I dunno, but it seems a bit more plausible?

book was copyrighted in 2005 so that would be list from 2004 at best i reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

star-pants wrote: »

Wasn't there before :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

book was copyrighted in 2005 so that would be list from 2004 at best i reckon?
    aye but still it should be a good idea of what the popular breeds are
    deman wrote: »
    Wasn't there before :rolleyes:
    ah ok, just when I went to it, it had it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

• American Eskimo Dog
    • Chinese Shar-Pei
    • Glen of Imaal Terrier
    • Irish Terrier
    • Irish Wolfhound
    • Presa Canaro
    • Siberian Husky
    • Weimaraner

There is no way this is accurate. Maybe they are talking about dogs who originate in Ireland, but are popular around the world.

Well, maybe not all of them, but the Kerrie blue, the wheaten terrier, the Glen of Imaal terrier and all the ones with Irish in front (obviously) are all Irish dogs.

I have a soft coated wheaten terrier, and have only ever seen 3 others ones around in the last few years. I've seen more boxers in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

funkyjebus wrote: »
    all the ones with Irish in front (obviously) are all Irish dogs.

except ...maybe ...for the "Irish american tail wagger" :D

Doesn't anyone around here read posts properly anymore? Or is my screen the only one that shows that "breed" on that "list" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Just goes to show you that you can only believe half of what you read but most of what you see!!! :D

From my own experience from my daily walks my top ten would be, in no order :)

West Highland White Terrier
    Cavalier King Charles
    Jack Russell Terrier (more of a type)
    German Shephard Dog
    Boarder Collie
    Pomeranian
    Labrador / Retriever
    Yorkshire Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bichon Frise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Top Ten in the UK 2008

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/5675/2007-2008-Top-20.pdf

1 Retreiver (Labrador) 45,233
    2 Spaniel (Cocker) 22,508
    3 Spaniel (English Springer) 14,899
    4 German Shepherd (Alsation) 11,903
    5 Cavalier Kings Charles Spaniel 11,226
    6 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 10,744
    7 Retriever (Golden) 9,159
    8 Border Terrier 9,145
    9 Boxer 7,353
    10 West Highland Terrier 7,330

That would seem about right to me. But in Ireland I guess a Boarder Collie would be near the top. After all nearly every farmer has (at least) one.

The Labradour is easily the most popular breed of dog as a pet in rural areas. In fact a Labradour/Sheepdig cross is probably Ireland most common breed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    That would seem about right to me. But in Ireland I guess a Boarder Collie would be near the top. After all nearly every farmer has (at least) one.

The Labradour is easily the most popular breed of dog as a pet in rural areas. In fact a Labradour/Sheepdig cross is probably Ireland most common breed :D
    the boarder collie that is on the kennel clubs list is only the pedigree one that is reg with them,most boarder collies[that farmers have are not classed as pedigrees,]so they are not counted on the lists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

aload of bullsh**e to be honest. when i'm out walkin my dogs i meet more dogs on the restricted list than the average family breed like labs, cockers, westies... and not a single person complains about any of the dogs being off leash or unmuzzled. people read too much and believe what they read to much. they are afraid of these "dangerous" dogs because the papers tell them to fear them. its just aload of ignorance. a few years back a greyhound and a terrier mauled a little boy and his minature jack russel around my place. the only reason we found out was word of mouth from people who knew the family. where were the papers then??? enough of my rant back to the point...what the hell is an irish american tail wagger?!! surely people cant believe articles with a "breed" like that mentioned!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 avkeskie

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, thats why its a load of nonsense:D

I would love to know if there any American Eskimo dogs anywhere in Ireland though. I got two brothers in once that I thought were Greenland dogs, but the chances of them ending up in a pound in Ireland I think are probably non existent.
    Only just saw this thread, but I have 2 American Eskimos and my Dad also has one, I brought all 3 from the US. Don't look like a Greenland dog as I think was suggested. Was wondering if there were others in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

From dog grooming, the types of dogs we always got in were westies, yorkies, shih-tzus, bichons, the odd golden retriever, border collie, cavalier, springer, JRT (for bathing) or mixed breeds, usually terrier mixes.

From walking my dogs in the countryside, the dogs I usually see are Collies, springers, terrier X's. But it depends where you go, if you drive through some places every dog is a staffie/rottweiler/greyhound.

avkeskie wrote: »
    Only just saw this thread, but I have 2 American Eskimos and my Dad also has one, I brought all 3 from the US. Don't look like a Greenland dog as I think was suggested. Was wondering if there were others in the country?

I would have thought yours may be the only ones in the country, do you show them? Go along to some shows and see if anyone else has them.

I wasn't suggesting they looked like a Greenland dog, I was just remarking on how few and far between these kind of breeds are, I don't know of any Greenland dogs in Ireland, but of course that doesn't mean there aren't any:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 avkeskie

Since they are not a registered breed here or in the UK you wont find any at shows. Though at the European Dog show FCI last year in Dublin I met an English woman with 2 White German Spitz who are really the same breed and she told me the mother of her two Spitz was actually an imported American Eskimo, to help the gene pool. American Eskimos can compete in FCI dog shows as a White Spitz. American Eskimos are quite common in the US brought over by German immigrants, and are unchanged in appearance since first they became popular in the UK 200 years ago, when brought by a German princess when she married into the British royal family. Hence they are the original Pomeranian, until Queen Victoria started to breed down. My dogs are neutered and from Eskie Rescue in Chicago. The 3rd is from good stock has a junior AKC Championship but was a little small to continue. He could compete in FCI but his breeder in Indiamapolis neutered him as part of good breeder practice as he was considered pet quality. Would still like to hear from any body in IRL who also brought an Eskie or two back from the US!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Over the past year especially when out and about or at doggy events etc. I've noticed a huge increase in Bichons, westies have been popular for a while but the Bichon seems to be taking over. Cavs as well and tons of Chihauhaus. The Lab, German Shepard and Collie are pretty common as pets as well and of course the lovable mix breed.
    The one breed that seems to have increased the most I think is the Bichon and smaller breeds are more common to see than they were 10 years ago.

Not enough Papillons in this world though.

Advertisement