Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10-20 breed of dogs in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

as well and tons of Chihauhaus. QUOTE]

Really? Other than at the RDS last week I haven't seen many :( I was starting to think my girl was on her own out there plus by the shriecks of excitements she gets when walking by women and kids anyone would think she was the only one on the planet!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 avkeskie

Unfortunately, I have NEVER actually seen a muzzle on a restricted breed in Ireland. The owners never obey the law but then again I have only ever heard of one occasion of it being enforced. You see Greyhounds being exercised with muzzles. If the dog is used to wearing one and it's a proper fit it really is as second nature to the dog as wearing a collar. I wish it was law that anyone who chooses to own a restricted breed should be required to attend obedience classes and more importantly pass a good citizen/canine behaviour test. I like GSDs and most as sweet natured but some came be really hyper and anxious and are so strong are impossible to settle down. I come across GSDs while working that don't even have basic commands, sit, stay etc. This breed really thrives when trained but so many people just get one cos they need protection, but don't actually train the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

avkeskie wrote: »
    I wish it was law that anyone who chooses to own a restricted breed should be required to attend obedience classes and more importantly pass a good citizen/canine behaviour test.

So because I'm the owner of two dogs on the restricted breed list you hold a question mark above me being a "good citizen"?... Explain that one.

I lived in the US for a long time, there was a dog training facility I went to, they did the usual obedience classes, etc but they encouraged people with certain breeds to do a test with their dog to prove that both owner and dog had a good relationship, it was called Good citizen/ good Canine responsible owner test forget the actual title but went something like that. Google it maybe it find correct title. It protected good owners from being lumped in with bad. The test involved a number basic commands plus off leash commands etc. Not calling anyone a 'bad citizen' you took that the wrong way. (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I lived in the US for a long time, there was a dog training facility I went to, they did the usual obedience classes, etc but they encouraged people with certain breeds to do a test with their dog to prove that both owner and dog had a good relationship, it was called Good citizen/ good Canine responsible owner test forget the actual title but went something like that. Google it maybe it find correct title. It protected good owners from being lumped in with bad. The test involved a number basic commands plus off leash commands etc. Not calling anyone a 'bad citizen' you took that the wrong way. (:

That should be for every single dog owner, not just those that have dogs on an arbitrary list. The UK KC do a scheme like that, but it is for all breeds, as it should be.

You were saying you don't see anybody complying with the regulations of the restricted breed, so how could they do a test including off leash commands, when the dogs are not allowed off leash under that law? I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. That particular law is ridiculous, judging a dog on its breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Unfortunately, I have NEVER actually seen a muzzle on a restricted breed in Ireland.

Me neither however any I've come across on our walks have been friendly (and the owners too :pac:), patient dogs who let our over friendly retriever pup say hello to them without barking/growling/snapping at him to back off!

Back on topic going by posts on boards ;) i'd say the most popular would be

Labradoodles
    Puggles
    Juggles
    Jugs
    Cockapoos
    Magnadoodles

ISDW wrote: »
    That should be for every single dog owner, not just those that have dogs on an arbitrary list. The UK KC do a scheme like that, but it is for all breeds, as it should be.

You were saying you don't see anybody complying with the regulations of the restricted breed, so how could they do a test including off leash commands, when the dogs are not allowed off leash under that law? I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. That particular law is ridiculous, judging a dog on its breed.

Dogs and owners doing that test would be in a dog training facility, thought that might be obvious.
    Yes, UK Kennel Club does it, should be here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Dogs and owners doing that test would be in a dog training facility, thought that might be obvious.
    Yes, UK Kennel Club does it, should be here too.

No it wasn't obvious, because when I did the Good citizen scheme in the UK it was in a park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Over the past year especially when out and about or at doggy events etc. I've noticed a huge increase in Bichons, westies have been popular for a while but the Bichon seems to be taking over. Cavs as well and tons of Chihauhaus. The Lab, German Shepard and Collie are pretty common as pets as well and of course the lovable mix breed.
    The one breed that seems to have increased the most I think is the Bichon and smaller breeds are more common to see than they were 10 years ago.

Not enough Papillons in this world though.

I've never seen a chihuahua in real life. Loads of Bichons though, I'm glad they're becoming popular, they're lovely dogs. I like Papillons too, but never seen a real one. I might get one one day, if they're anything like Cavaliers in temperament. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

ISDW wrote: »
    No it wasn't obvious, because when I did the Good citizen scheme in the UK it was in a park.

Hi both of my dogs have done the UK good citizen awards, one has silver and the other bronze. Ours were done in a horse shed (there is probably a better word for it but that's what I call it :D) It's huge so loads of room for training.

I think it probably depends on where you're trainer is based.

As for the list, when I'm home and see dogs out and about it seems to be
    Labs,
    Mutts
    Spaniels
    JRT
    Bichon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

lrushe wrote: »

Really? Other than at the RDS last week I haven't seen many :( I was starting to think my girl was on her own out there plus by the shriecks of excitements she gets when walking by women and kids anyone would think she was the only one on the planet!! :D
    you think yours gets a lot of attention ? just try and walk a english bulldog on the streets in ireland,everyone wants a photo or pat it,the kids love him and think its a called a churchill dog,one big advantage a lot of pubs and bars that do not normally allow dogs,will change their rules just for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

popular,try walking a english bulldog in the street in ireland,kids think they are called churchill dogs,the parents want to take photos,you are stopped constantly,a 50yard walk may take up to a hour,one good thing is that a lot of the pubs/bars that do not normally allow dogs ,will change their rules,just for him

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Jaysus can we not have a discussion on dogs/breeds without bringing up RB's and the laws relating to them, :mad:

In no particular order I'd reckon the top 10 are,

Jack Russells, German Shepards, Collies, King Charles, Lab's, golden retriever, Springer Spaniel, Cocker Spaniel, yorkshire terrier & west highland terrier

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

We do love our mongerals though!! Lets not forget them! Would say every second dog I meet is a mutt. . am involved in rescue suprise suprise!! Judging on the crosses that I see everyday I would say top ten are

Collie
    Spaniel
    Boxer
    Lab
    Retriever
    JRT
    GSD
    Cavalier
    Yorkie
    Staffy

Also think comments on RB's and owners was ignorant and uncalled for. Its sad but am used to it! My RB has been asked to apply as a pet therapy dog because he is so gentle and friendly. Little by little attitudes are changing but will always be those who love to hate! A doberman therapy dog. . think that would be a pretty great shout out to all the RB's!! :D

cjf wrote: »
    My RB has been asked to apply as a pet therapy dog because he is so gentle and friendly. Little by little attitudes are changing but will always be those who love to hate! A doberman therapy dog. . think that would be a pretty great shout out to all the RB's!! :D

Nice one CJF ;) We're thinking of doing the same with our rottie, but prob going to hold off for 6 months or so till she has fully settled into living with us and her obediance training has come on a bit more. We were talking to Irish Therapy Dogs at the Pet Expo recently who were very encouraging about getting involved. Seemingly Garda clearence can take up to 4 months so might get the paper work under way now

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Amazing!! Great organisation to open their doors and consider their therapy dogs on the basis of temperment and suitability rather than the shell they wear! Rotties are fab best of luck with the training and classes! I brought my chappie to training classes was best thing ever for him, he made loads of friends and learnt to listen even when there was loads of better things going on! He is a street angel house devil so tolerant of alll people and kids loves to be loved but a brat at home he likes all the attention and then when he gets home he expects it from me 24/7! haha!

Rotties are actually one of top breeds of family dog in USA. . .dont even get a look in on my top 10 breeds in Ireland! Never see them out and about! Maybe like me they all just hidden away up the mountains with them so they can have a good run off the lead away from judging eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So because I'm the owner of two dogs on the restricted breed list you hold a question mark above me being a "good citizen"?... Explain that one.

Couldn't help yourself eh? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

cjf wrote: »
    Rotties are actually one of top breeds of family dog in USA. . .dont even get a look in on my top 10 breeds in Ireland! Never see them out and about! Maybe like me they all just hidden away up the mountains with them so they can have a good run off the lead away from judging eyes!

You've hit the nail on the head!!!!

You've hit the nail on the head!!!!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

morganafay wrote: »
    I've never seen a chihuahua in real life. Loads of Bichons though, I'm glad they're becoming popular, they're lovely dogs. I like Papillons too, but never seen a real one. I might get one one day, if they're anything like Cavaliers in temperament. :)

The neighbours (they're French) backing on to my house have 2 dogs, one is definitely a Papillon, don't know about the other, think it might be a Papillon pup. Must try and get a photo of it one day without looking like i'm spying on them. One of my JRTs, Norman runs to the fence every morning and stands there listening to see if she's there. Then the barking starts and I hear 'Zat is bad, Mimi' :D

On my walks I see Jack Russells, Golden Retrievers, Westies, Springer Spaniels, Labradors, Cavaliers, Yorkies

• Advertisement
Advertisement