Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Please help me!!!!!

I havent done proper studying in about a week and a half...and everytime I do, I start thinking about everything else I have to study and in the end, I end up staring at the wall and making out "plans" :(:(
    Thing is, I need 500points!!??
    My xmas tests are next week and im screwed :(:(
    HELP HELP HELP
    :eek::eek::eek: *sniff*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

First thing first.... calm the hell down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

I cant :(
    All Ive done since september is homework and reading over 5th yr stuff but not actually learning it throughly :(
    I feel like Ive failed already
    I mean, if I want 500 points, shouldnt I be up all night studying ? I feel everyone is doing more than I am :(

*sniff*:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Dude, it's November, Cop yourself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

NightOwl91 wrote: »

Me too :( Think I'm just going to try and do some study even if it's a little bit. And, I'm thinking of getting some exams off mocks.ie to see what I get before the mocks, so maybe I can improve over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Don't worry theres loads of time to get your act together, my christmas tests are this week and i only started studying last week, still not getting the hang of it really :o Try your best to do well in your tests but don't over do it only do as well as you can. Then you can aim higher and start doing more after the tests.
    At the moment set targets when you study, thats what all my teachers say
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Seriously, like everyone is saying, it's only November. You have AGES to get study done so don't worry. I know it's hard to think of it like that, but you will be fine. And nobody is staying up all night studying, that's just ridiculous. I can guarantee that anyone who says they're doing that is taking the piss, or just being stupid. :)

And don't get too worked up over your christmas exams, they really aren't that important in the larger scheme of things.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Please help me!!!!!

I havent done proper studying in about a week and a half...and everytime I do, I start thinking about everything else I have to study and in the end, I end up staring at the wall and making out "plans" :(:(
    HELP HELP HELP

Ah yes the study plan. Remember it well. I used to do nice color coordinated ones that mapped out everything but my bowel movements. Only use they ever did me was make me feel slightly better at not being able to motivate myself to study properly.

Maybe you're just waking up to the reality of the exams at the minute. I remember reading something about the relationship between long term goals and short term effort and that it is difficult to reconcile the two. Explains why people start going pension mad in their 50's and not their 30's.

I find when doing any study that the best way for me was to try to do the irreducible minimum. Start with a subject say History for example, choose an topic say second world war, choose an area of topic say the battle of Stalingrad, narrow it down until you can decidedly say you've learnt something about it. It might not come up, you may even forget it by tomorrow but at least you know you've done something in a formulated constructive way. I find this method helps overcome the motivation thing.
    Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

You need to relax. You have ages. Seriously, freaking out this early is mad. (Tbh, I think it's a bit mad freaking out at all, but that's only because I've finished with all that lark.) You've loads of time left. Anyone who says otherwise is full of crap. Missing a few days isn't going to matter in June, no matter what some teacher says. Just relax about everything, it makes things a zillion times easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A week and a half? you're doing well. I have not studied in a year and a half or so.! =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Mod note: Unhelpful posts deleted. Only helpful/serious replies from now on, please.
    And no, the phrase "Take a chill pill" does not count as helpful advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Relax. I was panicing the same way you were this time last year. But don't worry, you'll get down to the work. You just have to not let yourself get distracted by other thoughts. Good luck with your exams, i'm sure you'll do fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Taking a week of study isn't a bad thing, sometimes you need time to relax and so long as you're keeping up with homework there's nothing to worry about. Just don't do it every week ;)

There's really no need to be doing hardcore study at this stage in the year. Just do all your homework, read over whatever notes you've gotten that day and then do a bit extra before a test. Don't be stressing yourself out or panicking because you're not doing more than that; it's a waste of time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I cant :(
    All Ive done since september is homework and reading over 5th yr stuff but not actually learning it throughly :(
    I mean, if I want 500 points, shouldnt I be up all night studying ? I feel everyone is doing more than I am :(

*sniff*:confused:

Tbh this IS study. The more often you read it the better it sticks in your head. It's November - no need to freak out! You'll be fine! I was the exact same this time last year and I came out ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Please help me!!!!!

HELP HELP HELP

chill out mon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

OP, don't say you've failed already - You are just making yourself feel worse.

If you really can't study, try doing past exam papers to highlight the areas you need to work on. Doing exam papers is much better than sitting down and staring at a book.
    If you run out of papers, ask your teacher for some past mock papers.
    Also, the mocks will tell you what areas you need to work on - don't use them as a guideline for your leaving cert, most people will improve greatly from their mocks to their leaving cert.
    Use the mocks as a time trial more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Calm down. Seriously. A lot easier said then done! But I know Exactly how you feel. The amount times I freaked out/had panic attacks I had last year was un-real... if you knew the people that knew me they'd confirm that and I got on way better than I thought I would!
    Main thing is, concenrate on doing your homework Well right now. Do a bit extra. Try do at least 3 hours of some kind of work a night. Where most of the work comes in Is actually next April/May. That's not me saying leave everything until then!!! :P Learn things well the first time you do them and come back to them a few weeks later and check that you have a vague idea of them- do not freak out if you don't!!!
    Write things out and say things aloud at the same time. It really helps.
    You'll get your 500. Just relax and DON'T!!!! start making studying all night a regular thing! Find the time in the evening that's best for you and study then, but make sure to take breaks. :)

:D

Chill out. You're not doing yourself any favours by stressing instead of studying. Even if these exams don't go well for you, no one will ask how you did in about a month, so you can start over and get some study done. You've plenty of time to catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bloodmager

What college course do you want to go for?

If you really want to get over 500 points, you should be start studying everyday. 1-2 hours will be enough if it is an effective studying. thats mean you know/understand fully what the content is about and able to recite in your own words. You can always ask your teacher if you have trouble with something.

Study the subject which you will find easiest will get your motivation for the next one. For me, I think physic and chemistry are the easiest then I will go for both first. Geography will be my last subject to study because I hate it :p

when it comes to April, begin your revision for every subjects,all the materials since fifth year. For me, I wouldn't pay much attention to teachers and focus entirely on my OWN revision, that's what I did.

Trust me, don't leave your revision before few weeks to exams...you still a lot to cover.I hope this will help you;)

bloodmager wrote: »
    What college course do you want to go for?

If you really want to get over 500 points, you should be start studying everyday. 1-2 hours will be enough if it is an effective studying. thats mean you know/understand fully what the content is about and able to recite in your own words. You can always ask your teacher if you have trouble with something.

Study the subject which you will find easiest will get your motivation for the next one. For me, I think physic and chemistry are the easiest then I will go for both first. Geography will be my last subject to study because I hate it :p

when it comes to April, begin your revision for every subjects,all the materials since fifth year. For me, I wouldn't pay much attention to teachers and focus entirely on my OWN revision, that's what I did.

Trust me, don't leave your revision before few weeks to exams...you still a lot to cover.I hope this will help you;)

I was thinking of doing nursing. But the nurse at UCC said I would need 490-500:eek:
    So...Im like...AHHHH
    Should I concentrate on all my 6honours ? And get passes in my 2 ordinary levels?!!??:confused: Im doing bio papers at the mo for study...i think its a bit late to be writing out stuff over and over

I was thinking of doing nursing. But the nurse at UCC said I would need 490-500:eek:
    So...Im like...AHHHH
    Should I concentrate on all my 6honours ? And get passes in my 2 ordinary levels?!!??:confused: Im doing bio papers at the mo for study...i think its a bit late to be writing out stuff over and over

You should concentrate on 6 honours and pass 2 ordinary. I suppose you are aiming for "Nursing Integrated General & Childrens" 495 points. You will have to get an average B grade for every honour subjects. This may be tough for you.

If you really want to do Nursing but don't get enough points,you can still try "Nursing General - Standard" 435 points.

• Advertisement

bloodmager wrote: »
    You should concentrate on 6 honours and pass 2 ordinary. I suppose you are aiming for "Nursing Integrated General & Childrens" 495 points. You will have to get an average B grade for every honour subjects. This may be tough for you.

If you really want to do Nursing but don't get enough points,you can still try "Nursing General - Standard" 435 points.

Thing is - I want general nursing :P! But the nurse said to secure a place I need 500pts!:eek:
    pressure pressure pressure :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Thing is - I want general nursing :P! But the nurse said to secure a place I need 500pts!:eek:

in fairness its an awful lot of points for not a great job in the end imho!

other than nurse, do you have any other courses you have interest in?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Eh...
    That nurse was very wrong. You'll need 450-460 max .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Lads, relax!

I did my leaving cert last year... and I can tell you honestly, that it doesn't deserve all the hype!

I did not study, and I'm not going to lie about that. I did my homework all through 6th year. I did not spend all night reading the same page over and over.
    I got 400 points.
    Now, i could have got 500 points if i practiced some more exam questions...
    But I took up an extra subject in April of 6th year, and taught myself (Economics)
    I figured I could get more points with that than an ordinary level subject.

I was right incidentally. I got a D2. Got me an extra 10 points that I wouldn't have gotten if I counted OL maths.
    If i took it up at the start of the year, I could have gotten a better result, but its int he past now... moving on :)

When I was actually sitting the exams, I noticed that the stuff I remembered wasn't what i read the night before, or the week before, but the homework assignments from September.... From after the mocks.... From practicing exams questions.

They recycle so much from previous years!

My advice:

- Calm down!
    - Do your homework thoroughly. Spent an hour where it might take half an hour to do it. Learn from it! Thats the whole point of it!
    - Practice as many exam questions as you can get your hands on. With the book closed! And correct your own work after.
    - DO NOT stay up all night studying. Get early nights, and restful sleep.

Believe me when I say, theres life at the other end of the Leaving Cert!

Advertisement