Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing the stereo in my Octavia; is the original one (a) coded, (b) worth anything?

• 24-11-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

OK, I bought a new mp3 HU with USB/SD connections and bluetooth from those fine Germanic discount retailers up the road and am finally getting around to installing it in my ('06) Octavia. Looks fairly straightforward. Got the facia thingy on eBay for £16 delivered (Halfords wanted €45!)

Is it worth my while even trying to flog the original Skoda unit? It's working perfectly, but given the double DIN size is obviously of interest only to an >'04 Octavia owner with a broken stereo.... :o

Or are these things coded in some way to deter tea leaves from selling them on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try ads on adverts and ebay. Any money for it is better than nothing.
    If you disconnect and reconnect the battery with the old unit inside and it asks you for a code you'll know ;)
    If so a call to the dealer with the ID number on the radio should sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers, will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Afaik those "stream" radios are not coded so sher stick it up on adverts anyway and see what you get for it!:)

Your right though, the only car they'll fit is the Mk2 Octavia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Fitting a aftermarket radio to a vw, skoda, seat can cause problems later when it comes to diagnoise, the aftermarket radio can send 12volts to a pin in the OBD connector which is only meant to have a small voltage, it can damage the tool being used for diagnoise, its just something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers for the heads-up. Presumably any mechanic using an OBD rig would be aware of that and would disconnect the stereo first?
    Anyway, I hope I'm never looking down that barrel in the first place... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement