Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting a graphic

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    If, for example, I copy a love heart graphic from the internet into photoshop, the white background appears also.

Is it possible (in photoshop or fireworks) to get rid of the white background? i.e. say I wanted to copy just a red heart onto a purple background, without the white.
    Thanks!
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Use Layer - New - Layer from background
    Then erase the part of the graphic you don't want

Finally, use "save for web" to save it as a .gif or a .png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Jeenie mac...what?
    Thanks for the reply. Novice at this.

1. Use Layer - New - Layer from background
    I did this and now have two layers (0 just has background and 1 has heart and background).

2. Then erase the part of the graphic you don't want

How do I do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Use the eraser!

You might be able to get around it by making layer 0 purple and then going to layer 1 and change the mode of the layer to 'lighten' or something. Otherwise you may need to cut around your image with tools and physically erase the white bits in layer 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Oohhh...yikes...its something I have to import into fireworks so the purples may not match.
    As a matter of interest, how hard would it be to draw one from scratch? Could you use photoshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sure, if you want a more hand drawn image type thing, or if you want a clean precise logo type image you may want to draw in vectors in Illustrator or other vector programs. But if you haven't used it before it will take some learning. I guess it depends what you want the image for and how good does it need to be, and how much work you want to put into doing the image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Jeenie mac...what?
    Thanks for the reply. Novice at this.

1. Use Layer - New - Layer from background
    I did this and now have two layers (0 just has background and 1 has heart and background).

2. Then erase the part of the graphic you don't want

How do I do this?

Click on the "magic wand" selector tool, and then click somewhere on the white area around the heart, and then hit the delete key.

Also, click on the "eye" alongside the background/Layer 0 in the Layers palette so that the only thing visible is the content of Layer 1 (you'll probably see a chequered pattern in the "transparent" area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

By the way, if you use the magic eraser. You may have to go around the edges of the heart and make it more pleasing to the eye as the edges can look dodgy with the magic eraser.

Advertisement