Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods Dundalk

Options
  • 24-11-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all....

In light of recent events in the West and South I am wondering what the flood history of Dundalk is.

I am told that Lis Na Dara used to be a sort of running track years ago and farm land. Does anybody recall if this land used to flood during heavy rain ? THe toberona is quite a distance away and I dont know of any other local rivers nearby so is this estate prone to flooding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The area between the Ardee and Carrick Roads flooded a few years ago, where the houses are just after the Service Station on the right as you leave the town (on Ardee Rd). I think it's called Hamilton. I think that whole area's fairly low lying, but perhaps it's slightly higher N of the Carrick Road, so LnD might be OK.

The whole Red Barns Rd/Lennonstown/Manydown/Bay Estate area is pretty vulnerable to flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The road along the Fair Green/Castletown river is very prone to flooding with a high tide. Have heard that Toberona used to be very prone to flooding too, have seen sandbags in the area the last two years though I don't think they were needed in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cheers lads.....

Bit of drainage in the garden would never go astray I would say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

The area between the Ardee and Carrick Roads flooded a few years ago, where the houses are just after the Service Station on the right as you leave the town (on Ardee Rd). I think it's called Hamilton. I think that whole area's fairly low lying, but perhaps it's slightly higher N of the Carrick Road, so LnD might be OK.

They built drains into the ardee road around that area after the flooding a few years back - still floods when everywhere else does, but as far as I'm aware the houses along that road haven't been flooded in a good few years now.

Advertisement